Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

super bandit set up

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

super bandit set up

Old 02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
3dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super bandit set up

hi guys
im going to be setting up my super bandit this week, i have the manual but not the plan, the throws for all the surfaces are printed on the plan .. so can anyone give me the measurements please, plus c of g position and is there any elevator required to be mixed to flap.
thanks

dean
Old 02-20-2011, 03:39 PM
agent adds

Default RE: super bandit set up

ring me-i got the plans on my table now
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go Dean these are off of BV's web page all the throws and CG locations .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59330.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1567222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99991.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1567223  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:17 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Dean One thing to keep in mine is are you a thumb flier or a stick flier. BVM grabs the sticks. This means that the control settings might be a little high for a thumb flier. I fly with my thumbs. On my bandit I use

Aileron 5/8" up 1/2" down at tip

Elevator 1/2" at tip which is over 1 inch at fuselage

Rudder 3/4"

Crow 5/16" at tip

Flap take off 1" at fuselage
Flap landing 3 1/4 "

Good luck Dan Avilla BVM rep
Old 02-20-2011, 07:15 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second what Dan says. BVMs published throws were well above what I needed on my Classic Bandit.

One thing I would suggest, is to make sure you have full up elevator throw for landing. I use dual rates and select full rates, (1 1/8†up elevator) for the landing flair. Bandits like to be fully in the flair when landed.

No elevator/flap mix should be required.

I would also not suggest a CG any further forward then BV suggests. They tend to be conservative with CG position.

Let us know how it goes. I am going to complete a Super in the next couple of months.

Good luck

Roger

Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

BV's CG is way far forward, the guys I talked to when I balanced mine said if you balance it where the instructions suggest you will run out of elevator on landing.
I had as much elevator as I could get (about 1 1/4" at the root) and the jet was balanced as follows.

Tanks empty but UAT full.
Canopy hatch off and gear down.
Then push the tail down to the ground, when balanced correctly it should JUST stay on the ground and maybe come back down on the nose gear very very slowly. After my first flight I ended up changing the CG so that with the canopy hatch on it would just come off the tail and slowly slowly come back down on the nose. I don't remember for sure how far that moves the CG from the instructions but I believe it's around 3/4". When the center tank is full the jet is still nose heavy. Takes a fair bit of elevator to come off the ground.
They fly very nicely but it was to small for my taste, I sold it very early in it's life. It's getting a new higher vis paint job right now for the new owner.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM
3dean

guys this advice is just what im looking for, thanks!!
anyone else have tips etc please post here

thanks again

dean
Old 02-21-2011, 05:20 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

the jet was balanced as follows.

Then push the tail down to the ground, when balanced correctly it should JUST stay on the ground and maybe come back down on the nose gear very very slowly.
After my first flight I ended up changing the CG so that with the canopy hatch on it would just come off the tail and slowly slowly come back down on the nose. I don't remember for sure how far that moves the CG from the instructions but I believe it's around 3/4''. When the center tank is full the jet is still nose heavy. Takes a fair bit of elevator to come off the ground.

I checked the CG of my Bandit last night using Jeremy’s method, and found it to be exactly as he describes, with canopy on. With tanks rempty it will just sit on the nose gear.

Some further tips for landing. I always use the full 40 deg flap setting when landing. I don’t use crow, but with 40deg flaps it slows down and sinks nicely. The approach should be flown with a slightly nose down attitude, and once close to the runway, I simply hold it off by feeding in up elevator until it is fully in the flair, and it sinks onto the strip. On touch down I have full up elevator, high rates. .

Bandits are actually very easy to land, BUT, if you let it touch down to early or too fast, you will end up with a rather nasty bounce.

Roger.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

I'm the new owner of this SB. I balanced it as Jeremy suggested - so that it just barely tilts forward or needs a tiny nudge to rotate back to the nose gear. It flew very, very well at this setting and was easy to land with avery nice sink on approach. This was with the normal struts - when Jeremy re-paints it will have TL struts so I can fly from grass with less load on the flex plates. If you built with TL struts it should probably rotate forward a bit faster with this test since the pivot point will be more rearward.

I used the setup from the Bandit ARF for throws. Mine is quite heavy with afancy paint job, front tank and an EvoJet 130... 22lbs or so I believe with the wing tanks.

I have seen a lot of Bandits bounce on landing and in all cases it was either failing to bleed off enough speed before wheels down or landing nose wheel first or level. The trick is to hold it just barely off the runway in flareuntil it naturally sets down on the mains effectively stalled.

I'm really looking forward to my high-vis scheme soI can fly it all the time next season.

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

BV's CG is way far forward, the guys I talked to when I balanced mine said if you balance it where the instructions suggest you will run out of elevator on landing.
I had as much elevator as I could get (about 1 1/4" at the root) and the jet was balanced as follows.

Then push the tail down to the ground, when balanced correctly it should JUST stay on the ground and maybe come back down on the nose gear very very slowly. After my first flight I ended up changing the CG so that with the canopy hatch on it would just come off the tail and slowly slowly come back down on the nose. I don't remember for sure how far that moves the CG from the instructions but I believe it's around 3/4". When the center tank is full the jet is still nose heavy. Takes a fair bit of elevator to come off the ground.
They fly very nicely but it was to small for my taste, I sold it very early in it's life. It's getting a new higher vis paint job right now for the new owner.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

That balance method is also about the same on the classic Balsa bandit. I noticed that if the canopy is off and there is no fuel in the UAT (and it sits just above and aft of the nose gear) it will slowly fall on the stabs with just the slightest touch. With the UAT full it just stays on the nose gear.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:45 PM
3dean

thanks to all who have given input, keep it coming
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 AM
3dean

come on jase ! i know your watching !
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Duncan

I was going to ask why you hadn't just given Jason a call, although the Pikey show at the NEC starts today so he is really busy.

failing that, why not ask the Sniper
Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Geoff White

Dean,

Pm'd you on the other forum.

Geoff.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM
3dean

dunc, dont think i'd fly it without speaking to the el bandito masters first eh !!

geoff , cheers will look now
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
3dean

dunc. without completing the bandit , the sniper has sold it on .. . . . .. . . . .