Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 12X Programming Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 12X Programming Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 12X Programming Question

I've set up my Mig 29 in the system mode under wing type as "normal". Each control surface is using its own slot in the receiver and all 12 slots are filled. I want to couple elevators with ailerons to achieve more control on rolls and turns. My 10X had this capability without going to the "delta" wing type. Anyone have any suggestions as to whether or not the 12X has this capability? I could always use program 52 to couple them but my instincts tell me there is a better way. All suggestions appreciated.

Rob
F15driver
Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: JR 12X Programming Question

Rob,

I ran into this same programming issue when I wanted to use the “elevators” (inboard wing surfaces) and “ailerons” (outboard wing surfaces) on my Rafale to operate together as elvons, essentially what you are trying to do, minus the elevator input to the ailerons. As good a radio as the 12X is, incredibly, there is apparently no easy way to accomplish this like you could have with the 10X. Working (at length) with a JR rep, we eventually figured out a way to do it.

I had to use the DELTA wing type and experiment with L/R directions to find a combination that worked. Again, incredibly, the 12X is limited in the servo direction choices in this mode (i.e., one surface would move in the wrong direction in elev or ail, but when you reversed it, another direction would be wrong!) Had to figure out which channels/servo combinations would work, which turned out to be L ail in the “ail/2” channel and R ail in “elev/3”. I then had to use 4 mixes to the elevators which were plugged into Aux 2 and Aux 4. The mixes were as follows:

Ail to Aux 2
Ail to Aux 4
Elev to Aux 2
Elve to Aux 4

All the up/down, left/right values were 100 and either + or – to get the proper direction.

Since you want your elevators to function as elvons, you might assign them to the Aile and Elev channels and then just mix in the aileron function to your ailerons. Would probably take some experimentation and trial and error. Not sure if you have enough available channels or mixes to do this but it is the only solution I could come up with.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea. Good luck.

Craig
Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have a 12X but have done similar things with my 9303. If you do it as Craig suggests I don't think your trims would work properly. Try leaving it set up as you have and just mix aileron to elevator. You might need to use two mix functions, one for each elevator half. You could also use a mix switch to turn the feature on and off if you wish.

You'll have to play with it a bit. Good luck.

Joe
Old 02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

I don't have a 12X but have done similar things with my 9303. If you do it as Craig suggests I don't think your trims would work properly. Try leaving it set up as you have and just mix aileron to elevator. You might need to use two mix functions, one for each elevator half. You could also use a mix switch to turn the feature on and off if you wish.

You'll have to play with it a bit. Good luck.

Joe
With the setup I described, the trims will work properly if the "+" option is selected for each mix. However, as Joe suggested, it might be possible to mix the ailerons directly to the elevators. Obviously the elevators have to be on separate channels and depending upon how you set that up (using MATE or through a mix) the direct mixing may or may not work correctly.

Once again, you just need to play with it. If it was me, I would copy your original program to a second model and be able to try different things without loosing your current program.

Craig
Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe and Craig,

Thanks for the input on programming the 12X to couple ailerons with elevator.

After much frustration, I called Horizon to get their take on how to do the mix. As I said in my first post, I was in the "Normal" mode in wing type. I had mated R Ail w/ L Ail and also mated R Elev w/ L Elev. This was the problem. First they had me unmate the two Elev halves. Then mix R Elev+ to L Elev in my first mix. The second mix was R Ail to R Elev. Then L Ail+ to L Elev. I had to play around with the +100 and -100 to get the throws going the right way. I set the elevator throw to 50 % and will adjust it based on the sensitivity in turns and rolls.

When you see how its done it doesn't seem that hard. I suspect I wasted 3 or 4 hours before giving up in frustration.

THANKS HORIZON!

Rob
F15driver