Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cougar Wiggle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cougar Wiggle

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Cougar Wiggle

Point taken Harry but old habits die hard.

Picture the scene, flying from a runway intersection. Model on finals, nose well up and positive rate of decent. As it gets near me I notice out the corner of my eye that the track will take it into the grass verge on the other side of the intersection so I squeeze the rudder stick and it rolls just about as rapidly as on aileron and I'm forced to roll upright and land it where ever it wants to go. This cost me a bent nosegear pin and a lost door so I won't be doing that again. I know I should have considered an overshoot but as a novice jet pilot I wasn't sure I could have the motor spool up in time.

Hopefully my new L39 will have better handling characteristics although I'm told that these need rudder gyros too!

Malcolm
Old 03-07-2011, 06:47 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Model on finals, nose well up.......... so I squeeze the rudder stick
ooh, an old habit well worth getting rid of Malcolm!

H
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I installed the G770 Gyro on the Cougar. I put the Gyro on the Rudder servo and the gain on Aux 5 (rotary knob on 12X radio). Everything is working lovely. I can increase and decrease the gain fantastically. I did not set it up for heading hold. The question I have is the following: Can I install the gyro right over the receiver? In other words, for clearance purposes, in my cougar, the only place for the gyro is right over the receiver (2.4 R221). I can install it over the main fuel tank, but that would require extensions and I would prefer not to use them. I range checked it with my brother and everything seemed to work just fine moving the nose left and right with the gyro compensating. Flight test on Tuesday.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Should be OK, in heli's we end up with them together too.

Dw
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 AM
vetagator

Thanks Dave. I will report on how the cougar flies with the gyro on Tuesday. Alex.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
vetagator

The weather did not cooperate last Tuesday, but today was perfect. Went the to field. I was a bit apprehensive at first, never have flown with a gyro. I had this felling that the gyro would take over my controls and carry my plane away forever. LOL. The roll out was percect and as soon as the jet rotated, I knew the gyro was working. The Cougar did not wiggle at all with the gyro on the rudder. It flew straigt as an arrow with absolutely no dutch roll. I thought that I would feel the gyro working against me, but It was fine. I had the gyro gain set on a rotary knob just in case I needed to deactivate it in a hurry. My initial setting seemed appropriate. Thanks you guys for your help. Alex.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Stumbled across [link=http://www.bobjellison.com/f9f_6_3.htm]this link[/link], which contained the following paragraph regarding the development of the Cougar variant of the Panther, confirming that it's a yaw issue and not a roll issue. IMO those seeking to fix the problem with roll gyros are addressing the symptom rather than the disease.......

To make the XF9F-6 Cougar design easier to produce, the Panther's fuselage, engine installation, wing center section, fin, rudder and landing gear were retained. The forward fuselage was lengthened by two feet to accommodate more fuel. The upper rudder was converted into a yaw damper; this was required to cope with the increase in yawing and rolling inherent to sweptwing aerodynamics in rough air. The wings were swept to 35 degrees, and hydraulic-powered leading-edge slats similar to the Bell L-39's fixed slats were installed. The stabilizer was swept 35 degrees and was made fully trimmable for high-Mach-number flight. Normal aerodynamically powered elevators were installed.