Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Had a bad day ...12x, Powerbox Royal combo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Had a bad day ...12x, Powerbox Royal combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Had a bad day ...12x, Powerbox Royal combo

I have not found out yet what the specific cause was and I may never find out but I am very confident in the JR radio and the Powerbox units. The two in combo have given me many of hundreds maybe even thousands of flights. Heck I had over 800 on my A-10 alone. I realize that every system has its failure points because nothing is 100% perfect. I am also very meticulous in trying to find the problem, that is the reason for this tread and also why I will be sending in the radio in for a checkup. I appreciate all the advise and comments.

Billy
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I just hope you find out what happened, and that you update us on what you find.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:19 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Billy

I have not found out yet what the specific cause was and I may never find out but I am very confident in the JR radio and the Powerbox units. The two in combo have given me many of hundreds maybe even thousands of flights. Heck I had over 800 on my A-10 alone. I realize that every system has its failure points because nothing is 100% perfect. I am also very meticulous in trying to find the problem, that is the reason for this tread and also why I will be sending in the radio in for a checkup. I appreciate all the advise and comments.

Billy
Billy, bummer man!

It is possible that this is all just a "perfect storm" of crap that all came together to make an insolvable problem. I hear you, if it is a problem you can fix post fact, then it's worth doing! I think that I would have made a B-line for the runway after I noted a problem with my connection to the jet and you probably did the same thing but couldn't make it when the engine died.

Its been a long time since I saw you man, I'm glad you're still flying.

Billy is a good stick, great builder and a very meticulous flyer. He flies well and knows when his airplane is out of whack, he has more successful single engine A-10 flights than most of us have on ANY airplane.

Raf
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

A quote recently seen criticising Wren engines !

"Forums are for the free exchange of ideas and information good or bad.

Mike;

so which way WOULD you like it ?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

A quote recently seen criticising Wren engines !

''Forums are for the free exchange of ideas and information good or bad.

Mike;

so which way WOULD you like it ?
I would like it about the thread subject and not be told that if I had used ****** I could?????? the point is he didn't and can't, information about what he did do and what possibly happened is what is required.

David its very sad that you found it neccessary to trawl through an old thread to find that quote from me to try and justify your constant promotion of an off subject system.

To me Weatronics is taking on the persona of a sect that goes door too door to thrust religion in your face, close the curtains and don't answer the door.

Don't get me wrong I am all for new ideas and technology and when Weatronics first came out I was very interested, but your constant diatribe on it has put a damper on the subject for me.

Mike
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

ORIGINAL: ravill

ORIGINAL: Billy

Billy
Billy, bummer man!

It is possible that this is all just a ''perfect storm'' of crap that all came together to make an insolvable problem. I hear you, if it is a problem you can fix post fact, then it's worth doing! I think that I would have made a B-line for the runway after I noted a problem with my connection to the jet and you probably did the same thing but couldn't make it when the engine died.

Its been a long time since I saw you man, I'm glad you're still flying.

Billy is a good stick, great builder and a very meticulous flyer. He flies well and knows when his airplane is out of whack, he has more successful single engine A-10 flights than most of us have on ANY airplane.

Raf

Billy is a GREAT stick and great builder!! A couple years ago he put together a Skymaster F-15 for me and it was laid out beautifully indeed. Billy has always been extraordinarily helpful and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to jet flying. Dude, I hope you find out what happened....that truly blows brah ;(

-S
Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

That's why if at all possible finding out what happened here is very important. As a turbine newbie, if this happens to a guy who is known to be top-shelf, I can't help but be concerned over my jets.

It's like the RC version of, "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee."
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Or like what my grandpa told me when he was in the war, " Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, it's the one that reads, ' To whom it may concern' "
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moerig

ORIGINAL: acw

Billy, I'm very sorry for your loss and hope you'll get to the bottom of it.

I would like to warn against not using a powerbox / power expander with power hungry servos like JR8711. This cost me one jet. It could be a futaba rx limitation but I recently lost a mig 29 that had 2 8711 on stabs and various digital servos on everything else. I only had a smartfly regulator feeding current to the rx. After the crash I realized I could prevent the stab servos from moving with my hand. There was simply not enough power going to the servo. In my shop I have verified that this issue wasn't present with a power expander.

Arnaud

What you experienced is the inability of regulator systems to provide enough power under load. Manufacturers of these gizmos and their way of calculating power dissipation of the regulators used are all way over optimistic.
They rely on the ignorance of the user.
The problems with Spektrum (and by unfortunate association JR as well) is a fundamental RX design flaw that will keep on destroying jets. It may be made worse by power issues but I dont think it is the main cause.
Ok, I'll bite, what is the fundamental RX design flaw that you have mentioned several times and suggested a "class action" suit over?

Mike
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Moerig

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: Moerig

ORIGINAL: acw

Billy, I'm very sorry for your loss and hope you'll get to the bottom of it.

I would like to warn against not using a powerbox / power expander with power hungry servos like JR8711. This cost me one jet. It could be a futaba rx limitation but I recently lost a mig 29 that had 2 8711 on stabs and various digital servos on everything else. I only had a smartfly regulator feeding current to the rx. After the crash I realized I could prevent the stab servos from moving with my hand. There was simply not enough power going to the servo. In my shop I have verified that this issue wasn't present with a power expander.

Arnaud

What you experienced is the inability of regulator systems to provide enough power under load. Manufacturers of these gizmos and their way of calculating power dissipation of the regulators used are all way over optimistic.
They rely on the ignorance of the user.
The problems with Spektrum (and by unfortunate association JR as well) is a fundamental RX design flaw that will keep on destroying jets. It may be made worse by power issues but I dont think it is the main cause.
Ok, I'll bite, what is the fundamental RX design flaw that you have mentioned several times and suggested a ''class action'' suit over?

Mike
Search the forum
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Billy

Is it possible that you may have had a servo binding creating a large load on the system? It could be a higher load than the regulators can handle.

I had an F-15 with servos on the gear doors. When one gear hung up, the door could not close. This fried the servo causing a dead short. the shorted servo put a big load on the system, enough to melt the leads from both rx packs. I was running a futaba rx without regulators. The ecu detected the low voltage from the rx and shut off. I had just enough juice to land the plane before both batteries crapped out.

Things like this are sometimes hard to detect after a crash as assumptions would be that the damage was from the crash.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[/quote]

Search the forum
[/quote]

Already did that, found a bunch of pics by you claiming to be bad solder joints on a JR 1221. Problem is, it doesn't look like a JR 1221. Another comment by you claiming that the chipset is not being used according to manufacturer's spec( or something like that) with no explanation because us laymen wouldn't understand. No where else did I find any reports of a fundamental design flaw in JR receivers by anyone other than you.

If you have some evidence, post a link.

Mike

Old 03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Moerig

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Search the forum
[/quote]

Already did that, found a bunch of pics by you claiming to be bad solder joints on a JR 1221. Problem is, it doesn't look like a JR 1221. Another comment by you claiming that the chipset is not being used according to manufacturer's spec( or something like that) with no explanation because us laymen wouldn't understand. No where else did I find any reports of a fundamental design flaw in JR receivers by anyone other than you.

If you have some evidence, post a link.

Mike

[/quote]

Then it cannot be true of course. The pictures are photo-shopped and the chip vendor designers and engineers has no idea what their own product is about. Same thing when the guy found the earth was round, it was just him.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10100362 post # 56 & 58
But then its just a little solder, cant be that important....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Moerig

Just thought I would check one NIB of the last (probably mnf 2010) satellite spektrum(JR) remote RX's for an update to this issue. Something about the aerial wire seemed odd. So I took this picture of the goo covering the joint. Second Pic is off the goo softened using flux fluid. Wanted to remove the goo to see whats up. Before i could the wire fell away. Took some closeup of the joint and wire. Note this has only been taken out the packaging a minute or so before. If I did not remove the covers I would not have spotted this.
Make your own judgement.
Meer Moerig nou.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48571.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	1577316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35156.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	1577317   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27791.jpg