Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AD Scorpion Wing installation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AD Scorpion Wing installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Dig it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AD Scorpion Wing installation

I'm building an original Scorpion and I've been following the instructions for the wing tube installation. It says to drill a hole in the wing and put a screw in. The wing is of a very light composite that has nothing under it. I drill the hole and bam, thats a problem. So, I'm wondering what poeple have done in the past. I was going to cut out a 1" square area (just ball parkin it) and epoxy in a wood block that would go down to the wing tube. That way its a solid fit. I can fix the cosmetics of doing such a thing no problem. Whatdoya think?

Dale
Old 03-08-2014, 05:19 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi I have just hole and aluminum washer with rubber ,no extra plywood in super scorpion the washer is 1:2" diameter with rubber under to hold the wing.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On mine I didn't drill into the tube at all. I wanted to remove it everytime for transport/storage. Instead I put a blind nut into the wing root and after sliding the wing on the tube, run a bolt from the fuse into the wing root with access by the retract.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Dig it

SMCHALE, I love the idea. How did you get the blindnut into the wing root? Do you have a pic? Its a closed area.

Dale
Old 03-08-2014, 07:34 PM
smchale

I likely have a pic on my computer, I'll look tomorrow. I had made a hole in the wing to pass the flap and aileron leads through that was behind this location. I made that hole oblong. I drilled through the fuse (where you see the bolt) in the retract bay into the wing. I removed the wing. I put the blind nut into a small ply plate. Then I put the bolt into the wing (still off the fuse) and putting the plate thru the oblong hole I captured the blind nut and plate tight against the inside of the wing root. While tight I ran some aeropoxy around the perimeter of the plate as best as I could reaching my finger in. It only needs to hold the plate in place, the bolt does the work. When I took the wings off for transport I'd just hand tighten that bolt into the wing panel. Hope this is helpful and gives some ideas. I got the idea from my Futura which is held on in the identical manner.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Dig it

I got it. I'll cut a hole big enough to get in there and make it happen. I'd still like a pic though if you can find one.
I ran my wires elsewhere but as long as I'm replacing material it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

Dale
Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 PM
smchale

True, you can always patch and fill the hole afterwards. You won't see it as its in the root. Much easier that doing a plate and patch out in the bottom of the wing panel.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:44 PM
smchale

You will need to put the wing on and off with the gear up so the strut isn't in the way of accessing that bolt. If you have a fender stand to assemble on that is no trouble.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

This looks good to I might copy you idea I hope this will work on my super scorpion ,I have same skrews on the carf roocky and eurofighter why I don't do the same on the super scorpion? Total black out .
Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The later runs of the original Scorpion (and Phoenix which uses the same wing) have a block installed on the top and bottom of the end of the wing tube sleeve in the wing, just inboard of the rib that supports the end of the wing tube sleeve. After you cut a hole for the servo wiring, take a peek inside and you should see it there. With a bit of careful measuring you should be able to drill a hole for a bolt from either the top or bottom with the wing tube and wings in place and be good to go.

Worked for me on my Phoenix and Scorpion.

...jim
Old 03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Dig it

Jim I took out a servo cover and got a mirror in there with a flashlight and there is no plywood next to the former. (Finally found a use for those vessel inspector qualification ) Thanks for the info though. I'm wondering if I have an very very early kit. Not a problem I'll make it work.

Dale
Old 03-10-2014, 07:22 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, yeah. Looks like you have an early kit. My first Phoenix was the same. What I did there was to drill a hole just outboard of the *root* rib through the skin but not through the wing tube sleeve. I then injected a good dollop of aeropoxy (via a mixer tube) and let that cure, then drilled through that, the sleeve and the wing tube and tapped that for a 4-40 bolt. Did the same thing with my current Phoenix before I noticed the block at the outboard rib. ;-) Still working great. My Scorpion had the block, so did what I mentioned in my message above.

...jim
Old 03-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Dig it

That might be the way to go given I already drilled a hole 50mm (I think, going off the top of my head) as per the instructions. I just need some meat in there for the bolt to actually do something. Aeropoxy is a good idea. I'll give that a go tonight and see how it works.

Dale