Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My Starfire II build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My Starfire II build

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Starfire II build

I was asked to post pics of my build by several people, so here's an overview of my starfire build starfire build. This is actually my first turbine, so I've had a lot of great advice, and apreciate all of it. Here we go. Setup is K80F with JR 12X, JR high voltage servo's, spektrum 12 Channel DSMX powersafe reciever, Eagle tree system, funkey retracts,robostruts, Tam intake, prolite wheels and brakes, Modified wings.

Progress at work that day was even slower than usual. Ha Ha

Ailerons cut out. Notice I added 1" to the wingtips inbetween the foam core, and the stock tip. I wanted to help with the extra weight of the turbine, possible extra fuel I will carry (up to 100 oz. depending on how it fly's at the stock 68 oz. setup) and to give the apearance of a slightly larger plane. At that point it adds 14Sq inches of wing area. You can see some carbon rods used for support.

Here is the extinsion pieces being glued.

Wing pics

Started scratching a semiscale cockpit. BVM pilot cut down. Printed instrument pannels and glued them to a piece of light ply I cut and bent to give more shape. I have since done more, but don't have pics yet. I will also scratch a seat for it.

A quick mockup, with tams intakes. I realized here the tanks would need to be mounted upside down.

Thats better

Quick comparison of toms intake on left, and tams on the right.

Retract wells linned

Servo covers installed, with the wheel recesses cutout to accomidate the robostruts.

I opted to cut the inside canopy frame to go with the sport theme as oposed to a military style.

Testing the funkey retracts

OOh yeah we all know this was a good day. And yes this would be a F model !!!!

Stab spars glued in, and rudder cutout.

Started to fill tams intakes to fuse for a nice smoothe factory look.

Stabs gluing on.

Front retract mount glued.

He He time to burn some jetA.

Wings getting close.

Gotta mock it up.

Fuse formers going in.

Gluing wingspars in.

Rudder servo mount.

Test fitting tailpipe.

I will need to cut the center web of the intakes to fit the starter. The tailpipe will need to be setback alittle as well. Also the motor mount plates will be widened to accomidate the compact K80, but will keep the stock plates in there for a motor change planned for later that will use a wider mount.

Catch yall next time.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Starfire II build

Hi,

It looks to me like the mounts are ok with that engine. Also, do you mean that you intend to install the pipe such that it's inside the tail-cone? If not, I would strongly urge you to do that.

Other than the 'red rocket', pretty nice build !
Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
edgeflyer

As far as the tailpipe I think I need to push it back to the rear of the fuse further than was intended to get my 1/2 to 3/4" gap even after relieving the intake webbing. The motor will actually be mounted about an inch and a half further than it is in the pic, so when its moved the mounts get wider, and the bolts barely go through the wood. Do you mean you actually want the tailcone inside the tailpipe ? If so can you explain why?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 AM
edgeflyer

AAh I see, you mean the tailpipe sticking out of the tailcone of the fuse. It will have to I think to fit everything in. I will know for sure when the intake gets mounted, and webbing modified.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
billygoat80
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the nice write up and pics. Living vicariously through you... Keep the updates coming!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an itch to build one of these myself as an EDF. Nice job so far!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:06 AM
edgeflyer

Front tailpipe mount made, and installed. It will have lightnening holes bored later, but wanted to use it as pushrod suport, so I need to see where the passthrough holes will end up first. Motor mount mod done except for sanding, front former top brace bolted in place. You can see the BVM ceramic paint that I pre painted the inside of the wing filits with before gluing the unseen elevatror servo mounts in. The rest will be painted later.

Rear tailpipe mounting ring I made glued in place. You can also see the sloppy rear stab former glue fillit. It gets tight in there when you get up to your forearm muscle, plus your working by brail.

Here's the servo retract and valve plate rails.

Pic of the center tank and UAT mount I made. The center tank will be mounted using velcro on the bottom and a velcro strap arround it. The small tangs give the tank horizontal support, and will be supported bt the intakes when installed.The UAT is held using rubber bands. The trinagle cutout is just a lightening hole. the big tank brings fuel to 106 oz of fuel with UAT.

Front view.

One thing I found on this kit is I read somewhere to use 3 straight robostruts, but the front has to be a left or right offset strut, or the wheel will not clear the nose door opening.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
edgeflyer

been a while since i gave an update. prime coat on intakes for pinhole filling, since has been sanded back down.

pic of intakes before being installed

gear door

started the seat which will be the hardpoint for retaining the cockpit for removal

had to cut the intakes for tailpipe removal, but will build a hatch to cover it.

intake pics

Mock up

ready for primer tomorrow night

Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Shaun Evans

Dude,

Nice work! I hope you're planning to move that pipe forward a little, though.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 AM
edgeflyer

I probably should have mounted the turbine a little farther up, but I set it based on the intakes, so after I modified the mounts is when I set the tailpipe, and realized it was a little far back. Its not a scale plane, and I am doing an aluminum tailcone so it will look good when done (i think). I guess its just a rookie mistake. Can't wait to start painting !
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 AM
edgeflyer

The cockpit almost done, just need to tuch up the silver in some spots.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 AM
edgeflyer

Here's step one of my tailcone..............

Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

It looks fine, I was more thinking about the cooling of the airframe. Having that pipe inset will help vacuum out the hot air from the inside of the fuse. It makes a difference. Anyway, I can't wait for the start of your Hornet build because you're obviously a good builder!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM
edgeflyer

Thanks,
I've literally built hundreds of planes over the last 23 years, but this is my first jet. Interesting about the tailpipe. I love learning new stuff, but this pipe is literally the same size as the tailcone, so I won't get much flow, although i could vent the fiberglass and leave a gap with the aluminum that would be totaly hidden and still flow. Yeah I got big ambitions for the 18. Can't wait either. I'll post up pics of the painting process this weekend.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Yeah, your experience shows. I'd still inset the pipe by about 1/2". Coat it with some BVM heat-shield and it'll be fine. Your fuse will stay much cooler.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

+ 1 on Shauns Pipe comments
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36295.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1604293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73885.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1604294  
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

+2 with shaun. I'd also get some of the NACA ducts from BVM and put them on the aft end of the fuse to help vent some of that hot air out as well.. With the tight fit of that pipe, ever little bit helps.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:59 PM
edgeflyer

Cool thanks for the tips. Are the BVM outlets in the carbon section ? Can you post a link. I will have to redo my motor mount to fix the tailpipe, but if its gonna be a problem I will change it. I may have experience, but patients is hard for me to come by, and I got plenty to learn.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: edgeflyer

Cool thanks for the tips. Are the BVM outlets in the carbon section ? Can you post a link. I will have to redo my motor mount to fix the tailpipe, but if its gonna be a problem I will change it. I may have experience, but patients is hard for me to come by, and I got plenty to learn.
No, they are resin cast pieces. they are probably located in the edf section.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
edgeflyer

http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...roducts_id=124

Yep just found them, I never look in the "NON TURBINE" section Ha Ha. I'll order them. for shure. The fuse is pretty well sealed though. If i set the pipe in I could see the natural air leaks being able to vent air around the rear of the pipe, but would I need to add fresh air inlets just ahead of the turbine maybe on the sides to take advantage of the extra ventilaion with the inlets placed at the rear ?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

In my experience with the Starfire (I think I've had nine at this point), I'd say that if you're going with an open install, and the pipe is inset a bit, you won't need any extra ducting or inlets to keep the fuse cool. There's plenty of air.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
billygoat80

Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
edgeflyer

Alright, now it gets fun. Its on tomorrow (I hope)

Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
billygoat80

What you have done is art on that beautiful airframe.  I love how the intakes look, like they were always there....
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Shaun Evans

NICE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.