Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 AM
mtnflyer14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the wood in my nose gear mount rails was not that great, either. I think what you have done should be more than sufficient. I notice the ply cross brace at the top of the fuselage is not aligned either - I had the same problem. Ended up cutting it out and reinstalling with a brace or two. Good job and good luck!
Regards,
Gus
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default F86 Dog Saber exhaust tube

I must be the last person in RC building one of these F86 Modellbau Dog Sabers, but I'll share anyway. I haven't done much on mine until the Christmas vacation break from work. I also took a whole summer off learning all about helicopters. Crashing and rebuilding. I really hit a roadblock on the exhaust tube install. I know this kit is an entry level jet, but the techniques and planning required to put the tube in is anything but entry level. I started with the assumption that the tube is already the correct length, I wanted to leave P1 in one piece, and I wanted about .6" gap from exhaust tip to tube. I quickly discovered the engine rails are too close together to fit the K80, so they needed to be trimmed. I used a dremel, but the vibration made the glue joints come apart alarmingly quickly and the rails just fell out!! So, I finished the trimming on the band saw, and re-glued the engine rails back in. This kit needs extra reinforcement, IMHO. If it was anything but free, I'd write far more scathing comments.

You've ALL been thru this exhaust tube install already, so I feel a little like those new parents who enthusiastically share their baby experiences and discoveries like no one has every had a kid before. Yawn! Well, I think I did something a little new, with this combo alignment AND spacing plug I made.

The real issue though is how to install that pesky P1 former without cutting it up. It seems there no room to work, and no way to assemble it. I even had a new access hatch in the bottom of the fuselage all mapped out to cut. Well, I didn't do it, but it was close. So I put the P1 former in where it will live, leaving it loose of course, then forced the stainless tube through it, in place. It bent egg shaped as it passed thru the loose P1, but popped back round once it was past the double wall. Then, I installed the engine (K80) with my alignment/spacer plug between, forcing the tube into the center, and carrying the loose P1 into place by default. Adjust everything fore or aft to stick the exhaust tube out the back about 1/8" at the top. Next, I used a long bent wire to pull P1 vertical, and up against the stainless mounting tabs. Using a long stick, I dapped epoxy in places to tack the tabs and the P1 former to the fuselage. Then, I removed the engine and finished the epoxy fillets all around, top and bottom as the pictures show. Lastly, I made a REALLY long drill and drilled the two screw holes that hold the stainless steel tabs to the P1 former. I drilled thru the front intake opening. So, it's all done, and the engine is installed. I'd love to hear more exhaust tube horror stories, if you care to share.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1952130   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1952131   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 3.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1952132   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 4.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1952133   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1952134   Click image for larger version

Name:	exhaust tube 6.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1952135  

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 12-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks for sharing, I have one in the box that I plan to put a P-60 in. When I get to it after I finish my other over due projects.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
I must be the last person in RC building one of these F86 Modellbau Dog Sabers, but I'll share anyway. I haven't done much on mine until the Christmas vacation break from work. I also took a whole summer off learning all about helicopters. Crashing and rebuilding. I really hit a roadblock on the exhaust tube install. I know this kit is an entry level jet, but the techniques and planning required to put the tube in is anything but entry level. I started with the assumption that the tube is already the correct length, I wanted to leave P1 in one piece, and I wanted about .6" gap from exhaust tip to tube. I quickly discovered the engine rails are too close together to fit the K80, so they needed to be trimmed. I used a dremel, but the vibration made the glue joints come apart alarmingly quickly and the rails just fell out!! So, I finished the trimming on the band saw, and re-glued the engine rails back in. This kit needs extra reinforcement, IMHO. If it was anything but free, I'd write far more scathing comments.

You've ALL been thru this exhaust tube install already, so I feel a little like those new parents who enthusiastically share their baby experiences and discoveries like no one has every had a kid before. Yawn! Well, I think I did something a little new, with this combo alignment AND spacing plug I made.

The real issue though is how to install that pesky P1 former without cutting it up. It seems there no room to work, and no way to assemble it. I even had a new access hatch in the bottom of the fuselage all mapped out to cut. Well, I didn't do it, but it was close. So I put the P1 former in where it will live, leaving it loose of course, then forced the stainless tube through it, in place. It bent egg shaped as it passed thru the loose P1, but popped back round once it was past the double wall. Then, I installed the engine (K80) with my alignment/spacer plug between, forcing the tube into the center, and carrying the loose P1 into place by default. Adjust everything fore or aft to stick the exhaust tube out the back about 1/8" at the top. Next, I used a long bent wire to pull P1 vertical, and up against the stainless mounting tabs. Using a long stick, I dapped epoxy in places to tack the tabs and the P1 former to the fuselage. Then, I removed the engine and finished the epoxy fillets all around, top and bottom as the pictures show. Lastly, I made a REALLY long drill and drilled the two screw holes that hold the stainless steel tabs to the P1 former. I drilled thru the front intake opening. So, it's all done, and the engine is installed. I'd love to hear more exhaust tube horror stories, if you care to share.

Nothing exactly new there, just a slightly different variant. Could you have not unbolted the bell mouth from the pipe and slid the pipe in from the rear and then bolted the bell mouth back on ?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:46 PM
jetflyr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Countryboy
Nothing exactly new there, just a slightly different variant. Could you have not unbolted the bell mouth from the pipe and slid the pipe in from the rear and then bolted the bell mouth back on ?
The bell mouth is riveted - so that wouldn't work.
The mounting of that former is fiddly and time consuming - nothing more.
Would I have designed it differently?......DUH! But since I didn't - just had to accept it and move on.

Greg
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Pull Up Now!

Right Jetflyr, the rounded opening is riveted. Took the words right out of my bell mouth. Even the if bellmouth WAS bolted, can you imagine trying to put the screws back in and tightening them working down and aft in that little hole? With the P1 former and the thrust pipe in your hands, it's not immediately apparent that you CAN slide the pipe through the former since the hole in P1 is smaller than the pipe diameter. It deforms the pipe and you have to force it through. One doesn't want to ruin the pipe, and the instructions don't say the pipe will pop back into shape like it apparently does.

Countryboy, thanks for sharing your wood alignment jig photos from the 3-14-2010 Jet Legend F-4 thread, post #163. The idea was new to me, anyhow. Question: Does your plug set just the alignment and not set the gap from the end of the engine to the beginning of the exhaust tube? Mine bottoms out flush with the thrust pipe bellmouth so it sets the gap automatically(notice it's tapered). This is needed on the Saber Dog because there's no access to the area to measure it. Your F4 has amazing access to the area in question compared to this Saber Dog where one is working not only down in the access hole, but offset aftwards one set of formers.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Pull Up Now!

As I mentioned before, I'm new to turbines. I have a gas tank plumbing question. The Saber Dog comes with two tanks, and the instructions are vague on tube routing. I've read the tanks should be routed in series though. So, just to clarify, should only the last tank in the series be vented? So, the routing goes to VAT, then first tank (no vent), then on to the last tank in the series which IS vented? Thanks for advise!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:39 AM
jetflyr

As I mentioned before, I'm new to turbines. I have a gas tank plumbing question. The Saber Dog comes with two tanks, and the instructions are vague on tube routing. I've read the tanks should be routed in series though. So, just to clarify, should only the last tank in the series be vented? So, the routing goes to VAT, then first tank (no vent), then on to the last tank in the series which IS vented? Thanks for advise!
Yes. In series, you only have single lines, so single vent (I put mine in the wing root).
Get the review in Model Aviation - their online version has lots of photos including the routing.
Greg
Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Pull Up Now!

Yeah I've tried to find that article before. What year/month is it?
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
jetflyr

Yeah I've tried to find that article before. What year/month is it?
March 2012
Go to the MA website, archives, keyword (F-86D) and then you can access things.

Greg
Old 12-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Pull Up Now!

Drat! I can't view it. I have no access to the digital edition unless I pay $9.95 to them. I opted for the print-only edition. Seems like I already paid them enough money over the years to build a fancy flying site I'll never use. . Thanks anyway though Jetflyr!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM
flymanjg
My Feedback: (18)

Here's mine.

Name:	GPL_2366 r.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1952389   Click image for larger version

Name:	GPL_2332 r.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1952390  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Pull Up Now!

Where's the LIKE button!?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:43 PM
flymanjg

Here's a shot Flying the Dog, Which it's not. Very good flying aircraft.

Name:	GPL_3654.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1952393  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:45 PM
flymanjg

Name:	GPL_3782.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1952394  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 PM
flymanjg

Name:	GPL_3848.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	1952395  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
flymanjg

Name:	GPL_4060.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	1952396  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
flymanjg

Name:	GPL_3655.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1952397  
Old 12-29-2013, 05:58 PM
flymanjg

I must say, I had a blast with mine. It was my first Turbine "trainer" aircraft and I do not regret building and flying it. Yes there were some issues that needed to be solved in the construction but come on now, your not even paying $700.00 for this aircraft. If you want something that goes together with little or no issues go out and spend $4k in a BVM Bobcat or Bandit. This Aircraft fit's the bill for the first time turbine pilot or someone who wants to stay within a budget and does not want to worry about having +6k or more in the air.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by flymanjg
Very nice shot! No CROW??
Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by jetflyr
March 2012
Go to the MA website, archives, keyword (F-86D) and then you can access things.

Greg
Jetflyr--I figured out why MA wouldn't let me view the F-86D review. It wasn't the $9.95 after all. You have to specifically link your modelaircraft.org login with the modelaviation.com site. I just discovered this by clicking around in there as there was no clear indication. Anyway, I have the review now, and I'm reading it. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:09 AM
Flilek

Hi,
I use both fuel cells in parallel. Just take care, that all lines have the same lenght. No problem with different fuel levels on buth sides. I prefer this setup to make the fuel pump work less. Eventually you need less charge an the turbine batterie.

Flilek
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
mtnflyer14

Default F-86 fuel system schematic

This is a schematic of how I did mine with the KT-80. There may be some extraneous info here related to the KT-80-F, but the plumbing is correct.

Regards,
Gus

Name:	F-86fuelsystemschematic2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1952505  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM
mtnflyer14

Default Fuel tank fill/vent for F-86

For what it's worth, this is how I did the fill/vent lines in the tanks. Regards,
Gus

Name:	Fuel tank plumbing.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	991.2 KB
ID:	1952506  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Pull Up Now!

Gus (Mtnflyr), thanks for the great photos, and the plumbing diagram. Interesting divergence of thought on how to plumb the tanks! Have any of the folks in the parallel school of thought had any issues with uneven fuel usage between the two tanks? If parallel, it seems like it would be best to locate the Y connector between the two as close the the tanks as possible to minimize any differences in flow rate. Also, the Greg Moore review didn't offer any info on tank plumbing. I know Joe Grice, he lives near here. I'll shoot him an email about plumbing just for kicks. Lots of people recommend Hysol 9462, which just seems like structural epoxy. How do you say JB Weld??? Anyway, seriously the cost is TEN TIMES what 30 minute epoxy is. Add microbaloons for viscosity if needed. The Greg Moore article says that goop is ok, too. Or even plain old silicone caulk.

For the vent, on gasoline engines I've always terminated the vent line with one of these TME check valves. They completely prevent leaks inside the plane, and take no pressure at all to draw fuel through because they contain a flapper reed valve. It's not the ball-and-spring affair where the fuel draw has to overcome the spring tension. Does anyone see any issue with using these for turbines, to terminate the vent(s)?

Name:	TME gasoline check valve.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1952527  

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 12-30-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.