Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 PM
red76ta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetjockey
Hey Guys, I need some replacement parts for my Saber Dog. I tried to contact Modellbau at the Florida phone number listed, but the person answering the phone said they were out of business and changed the phone #. Anybody know about this, and is it true? Anybody know how to contact them?

Thanks, Les
I do not know the new phone number, but if you are unable to come up with parts, I have a complete kit that I would consider selling or trading!

Good luck with the parts,
Bill
Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM
red76ta

Finally, arrangements are made and the plan is to maiden my dog this weekend! This is my first turbine and don't know if I'll have video's initially. I hope to use my go-pro and head mount and a stronger lense, but they don't always turn out. If I get any decent video, I will post. Thanks again to everyone posting on this forum and the many manufacturers that take the time to help after the sale!

Happy flying,
Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Quandry

Best of luck with the maiden Bill! my Dog is still in the build queue so I'm interested to hear how you get on. Remember to grab a couple of photos at the field
Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM
red76ta

Thank you, Quandry and I will try for pics and video.

I went over entire model again this week and put the final touches on it. I only needed to add 3 ounces of weight to the nose to hit the 290mm c/g. After following this forum, I tried to move as much gear as far forward as possible. I also put 3 life batteries in the radome, reading here that I would need to add weight, I figured extra battery power was better than lead! There are 2, two cell 2100's for the radio and a 3 cell 4500 for the turbine. Other mod's that I did from this forum were the tubes thru the fuselage for the wing tubes, hinging the flaps on the bottom, re-gluing the formers where necessary, elevator servo mounts and a little bit of cockpit detail after not being able to get to get the HK one.

I hope to post good news on Monday, happy flying and thanks again all!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:50 PM
red76ta

Well we made the trip for the weekend. The model was inspected and deemed ok for flight, but did have some homework items to work on. I was fueling it and checking my plumbing for leaks when I heard a loud crack. I though it was the ply-lite ring that I put around the nose gear wheel well for the screws to have a better bite, but soon discovered that I cracked both tanks, with the first leaking severely! I was running to much pressure, pumping fuel through the bubbleless tank, both fuel tanks and the taxi tank when it happened. I did stop as each tank filled to check for leaks but quickly went on to filling the next. Now I've got more homework, replacing both tanks and lowering the voltage on my fuel system or putting a speed control of some sort on it. At least I brought the model home in one piece!

Lastly, thanks to a great bunch of fliers at Farview that were there to help in every possible way!
Old 06-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Quandry

oh man that's a shame.. no doubt though that some perseverence, thinking and handywork will get you in the air though.. I had a failed maiden last week also (not sabre) and it will take me a couple more weeks to get the kinks worked out to try again but oh well thats the hobby right?

good luck with your repairs and enjoy the 'I fixed it!' feeling

Geoff
Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 PM
red76ta

Heading to the Farview Afterburner next week, hope to maiden the F86 there. Have new tanks ready for installation, purchased and built a bi-directional, variable speed control for the fuel pump and should have all the recommended changes done this weekend! Then its off to the Afterburner! If I don't have video, hopefully I'll have some stills to post on the 3rd or 4th of August.

Happy flying,
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Quandry

Originally Posted by red76ta
Heading to the Farview Afterburner next week, hope to maiden the F86 there. Have new tanks ready for installation, purchased and built a bi-directional, variable speed control for the fuel pump and should have all the recommended changes done this weekend! Then its off to the Afterburner! If I don't have video, hopefully I'll have some stills to post on the 3rd or 4th of August.

Happy flying,
Sounds great and good luck with the maiden!

btw, out of curiosity what is a 'bi-directional, variable speed control' in relation to the fuel pump? is that a way to bypass fuel feed for safety cutoff, or some kind of refueling setup?

I am hoping to get a few more parts for my Dog at the Jetpower fair in a couple of months and hopefully maiden flight sometime in October.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
red76ta

Originally Posted by Quandry
Sounds great and good luck with the maiden!

btw, out of curiosity what is a 'bi-directional, variable speed control' in relation to the fuel pump? is that a way to bypass fuel feed for safety cutoff, or some kind of refueling setup?

I am hoping to get a few more parts for my Dog at the Jetpower fair in a couple of months and hopefully maiden flight sometime in October.
Quandry, it is basically an electronic speed control for the pump and it is reversible to fill and empty the tanks. A few posts back I noted that I ruptured the fuel tanks with too much fuel pressure and this should rectify that problem. I was afraid that just using a variable resistor to control the speed/pressure of the pump may not be good for the pump. I built my fueler using Jersey Modeler's pump and dripless fittings. They offer a speed control for the system but it was out of stock. I found a kit for a dc, reversible speed controller on-line at www.electronickits.com, called "bidirectional dc motor speed controller" (kit166). It is very reasonably priced and I found a project box at a local Radio Shack that fit it reasonably well. I can now slow the pump to a trickle without overheating the motor!

Good luck and happy flying,
Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
red76ta

Default Finally maidened in the evening after Farview's RC Afterburner Jet Rally

There are still some issues for me to work out but overall, it is flying!

First I must thank the many members of the Farview RC Club that helped me to get airborne, you won't find a better group anywhere! I wasn't able to come away with any decent video, but I am posting a few taken by Tim, another club member who does a great job with pictures! (Check out their website or Facebook page.)

The model took a little more aileron trim than I'm used to but seemed ok once set. We did slowly reduce the down elevator to about half of the recommended setting for "crow". We flew 3 flights with a buddy box after the maiden flight and were going for about 5 and a half minutes with half of 2nd tank left. One brake is a little draggy and will be going back to manufacturer for repair. Spoke with Bill today and he said send it back and he will turn it around quickly. No that is great customer service! The Kingtech K100 performed flawlessly and was flown just above half throttle for the majority of the flights.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	2019982   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2019983   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-4.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2019984   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-5.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	2019985   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-6.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2019986   Click image for larger version

Name:	F86-7.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2019987  
Old 08-04-2014, 01:28 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red76ta

There are still some issues for me to work out but overall, it is flying!

First I must thank the many members of the Farview RC Club that helped me to get airborne, you won't find a better group anywhere! I wasn't able to come away with any decent video, but I am posting a few taken by Tim, another club member who does a great job with pictures! (Check out their website or Facebook page.)

The model took a little more aileron trim than I'm used to but seemed ok once set. We did slowly reduce the down elevator to about half of the recommended setting for "crow". We flew 3 flights with a buddy box after the maiden flight and were going for about 5 and a half minutes with half of 2nd tank left. One brake is a little draggy and will be going back to manufacturer for repair. Spoke with Bill today and he said send it back and he will turn it around quickly. No that is great customer service! The Kingtech K100 performed flawlessly and was flown just above half throttle for the majority of the flights.
================================================== ===============
Bill,
Congratulations on the successfull flying day. It really makes me want to mine finished.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your maiden flight, RED76!!!! Great pictures.

originally maidened my F-86 Saber Dog back in June, but due to lack of a waiver I haven't flown it since. it's been really hard to find the contest directors and waiver holders to do the sign off. So I connected up with the CD of the big Minnesota SMMAC Warbirds meet this last weekend. It also goes under the name NAMFI. Went down there and obtained my turbine waiver. The attached pictures are from the Owatonna SMMAC meet. The link is a local field. Owatonna is one awesome get-together. Now, with waiver in hand, I can fly at our local club field. There's a lot of old-timers in the club, and my F86 flight was the first time a turbine has flown there. Here's a link. Notice the tricky approach over the powerlines at the runway threshold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYd...ature=youtu.be

Name:	SMMAC F86_1.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	2022429   Click image for larger version

Name:	SMMAC F86_5.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	2022430  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:37 PM
red76ta

Very nice pics and video, congratulations! My flights were also with a stormy sky as a background, making seeing the model difficult. Keep us up to date! Mine also flies very smooth.

I had to send one of my struts back to springaire as the brake was tight and only loosened a little. Bill fixed it perfectly and quickly and I hope to fly again this weekend.

Happy flying
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Pull Up Now!

My wheels are too tight also, do you know how he intended to fix them? I would like to attempt the fix myself if possible.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM
sidgates

Originally Posted by Pull Up Now!
Congrats on your maiden flight, RED76!!!! Great pictures.

originally maidened my F-86 Saber Dog back in June, but due to lack of a waiver I haven't flown it since. it's been really hard to find the contest directors and waiver holders to do the sign off. So I connected up with the CD of the big Minnesota SMMAC Warbirds meet this last weekend. It also goes under the name NAMFI. Went down there and obtained my turbine waiver. The attached pictures are from the Owatonna SMMAC meet. The link is a local field. Owatonna is one awesome get-together. Now, with waiver in hand, I can fly at our local club field. There's a lot of old-timers in the club, and my F86 flight was the first time a turbine has flown there. Here's a link. Notice the tricky approach over the powerlines at the runway threshold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LYd...ature=youtu.be
================================================== =====

Bill,
During the video I heard some discussion about "air speed". Do you have on board air speed telemetry? If so what are your landing speeds and Stall speeds?

Sid
Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 PM
red76ta

My wheels are too tight also, do you know how he intended to fix them? I would like to attempt the fix myself if possible.
This seems to be a common problem throughout this forum. We greased the O-rings and tried swapping the wheels to opposite sides with little success. Both of mine were snug on the axles, so we chucked up the axles and sanded them lightly with scotch-brite. This worked great on one but not the other. I actually use a drill and a rubber wheel to drive the tight one and try to loosen the tight o-ring. This helped a little and we flew it but it was horrible on ground steering. After 4 flights, it did loosen a little more but not enough. I called and spoke with Bill at Springair and he asked me to send the strut to him to repair and that he would turn it around quickly, which he did! It appears that he put a new brake hub/o-ring on it and it now works perfectly! I had it in my hands in exactly 7 days, thank you Bill!

Sid, I have no telemetry on my radio and any mention of mine about speed were estimates by experienced jet pilots that were at the event. Honestly, we only flew it slightly above 1/2 throttle with the exception of take-off. (Kingtech K100). Also, the posted video was by "pull up now".

Last edited by red76ta; 08-14-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Pull Up Now!

Originally Posted by sidgates
================================================== =====

Bill,
During the video I heard some discussion about "air speed". Do you have on board air speed telemetry? If so what are your landing speeds and Stall speeds?

Sid
Yes I have onboard voltage and airspeed telemetry. The airspeed in my opinion is indispensable for a controlled approach. To use this to the best advantage one must know the stall speed dirty. Full flaps in landing configuration and gears down. I obtained that information by doing a stall test during the maiden flight with a spotter Reading the airspeed from the transmitter screen. Once you know that, one can regulate the approach to five or 8 mph faster. I set the readout to begin at 50 mph so it's not pestering me throughout the flight.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Pull Up Now!

Thanks for the info on the Springaire retract. I respect bill but I am inpatient so I'll probably take it apart myself and machine something down. And you can call me Rick!
Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 PM
sidgates

Yes I have onboard voltage and airspeed telemetry. The airspeed in my opinion is indispensable for a controlled approach. To use this to the best advantage one must know the stall speed dirty. Full flaps in landing configuration and gears down. I obtained that information by doing a stall test during the maiden flight with a spotter Reading the airspeed from the transmitter screen. Once you know that, one can regulate the approach to five or 8 mph faster. I set the readout to begin at 50 mph so it's not pestering me throughout the flight.
================================================== ======
I am flying a Cosmic Wind with aTaranis that has air speed but don't have the confidence yet to use it in my jets. When did the stall test at altitude the Cosmic Wind dropped a wing at 30 knots. When land I touch down at 27 knots with no wing drop. Right now I think the difference is ground effect. What radio and air speed sensor are you using?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Pull Up Now!

I think you're absolutely correct, the difference is ground effect. I'm using a Spektrum DX9 with their pitot and sensor module. The technology comes from Eagletree, from what I understand. As for one wing dropping, check wash-in on the two wings for differences, and also check your flat angle carefully. A lower flap on one side will stall first. Just wondering how you know so precisely you touch down at 27mph if you have not yet used airspeed on your jets. Good luck! I know a guy here who has Tyrannus....it's a very capable system especially at that price point.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Pull Up Now!

Default Spring Air retract binding

OK, I had the courage today to strip apart Bills wheel/hub assemble to see if I could free it up. I found the oring is too tight in it's groove, and as such the friction doesn't allow the oring to shrink back into its groove (and relieve the wheel). So I machined the groove a few thousands of an inch wider. There is still drag, but not enough anymore to bind the oring. This is a touchy area, because if the groove is oversize, all the air will bleed out. Too much, and even the braking can suffer. At a minimum, one would be pumping up the tank for every flight. Here are some pictures of what I did. Now the wheels are free, but the orings still seal and retract. I call it a success, but I wonder what Bill at SAR's does. Hmmmm.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	2022792   Click image for larger version

Views:	270
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	2022793   Click image for larger version

Views:	299
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2022794  

Last edited by Pull Up Now!; 08-16-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM
sidgates

I think you're absolutely correct, the difference is ground effect. I'm using a Spektrum DX9 with their pitot and sensor module. The technology comes from Eagletree, from what I understand. As for one wing dropping, check wash-in on the two wings for differences, and also check your flat angle carefully. A lower flap on one side will stall first. Just wondering how you know so precisely you touch down at 27mph if you have not yet used airspeed on your jets. Good luck! I know a guy here who has Tyrannus....it's a very capable system especially at that price point.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------\
I have the TX reporting(announcing) air speed either every 3 seconds or every 10 seconds or turn it off. I currently have the Taranis with air speed read out on my Cosmic Wind for test. I have friend with a DX9 so will look at the air speed capability.

Last edited by sidgates; 08-16-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:06 PM
red76ta

Very nice work! It appears that Bill replaced the brake drum and shim on mine, since there is no longer a shim between the strut and drum on my repaired one.

Happy flying,
Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 AM
Quandry

Hey guys, well I finally got around to popping the lid on my Dog Sabre Last night I took a quick inventory of parts, tonight I hope to make a start on gluing in the control surfaces.

I'm going with electric retracts/brakes on this bird so I have a new/unused set of Spring air retract units legs, and wheels w brakes that came with my kit - available for $250USD + post

Old 08-19-2014, 05:34 AM
Pull Up Now!

ha you have a long road ahead of you! /
good luck with your build. There's a wealth of knowledge in this thread. Read it carefully.

Sid, I overlooked the fact your 27mph reporting was on your Cosmic Wind. Sorry.

My F86 weight is around 18.5lbs, stall speed is 35mph. In the approach, I turn base at 55mph, turn final at around 50, and try to cross the numbers at 45mph. No CROW in this one. I do have a rudder gyro. No sign of wing rocking when it gets slow.

Quandry, you should really heed the advise to rework the flaps so you can put the hinge at the botttom. I didn't do that, thus it's more difficult to bleed off speed as I can't quite get a 45 deg flap angle. It's not a show stopper, but it probably would be easier to land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.