Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Bandit, top dog or just top$

Old 04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
rcjet lynch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, worth every penny. My buddy just took possesion of his third UB. A battery fire took one of them. and the other one is going into its fourth year of flying. I can tell you its a very strong airframe and very nimble on the sticks.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:35 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Hi Craig,

Yes I really like your scheme. I saw an early model a few years ago when we shared a booth at the AUVSI show (UAVs) with BVM and he brought one.

It really is aerospace grade, in fact I think BV does a lot of UAV work because his internal design, materials and processes are aerospace grade.

Speaking of UAV work....

http://www.bvmuav.com/
Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Take a look at the BVM website Florida Jets coverage....I'm 67 years old, and I fly one....look at the grin on my face!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Johnny9390

Thats way too much money for a toy. Dont get me wrong I would love to have one. How do they come up with the price tag on these things. I know there is R&D involved. But just like there was on the bandits, electras or any of their arfs aswell. Is there twice as much material involved to make one that the price pretty much DOUBLES from a bandit to make one of these?
Hi Johnny

I was lucky enough to visit BVMs factory recently and saw first hand these things in production. They are beautiful(IMHO).

I can only assume that the reason the Ultra is costly is because, it is 100% made in the USA, by people who are paid in US dollars, at US pay rates. Additionally BVM has to comply with US labour laws, pay US tax rates, plus a whole host of other costs that Asian based manufacturers do not incur. On top of that, the people that actually build these things, are skilled craftsmen, who are modlers themselves.

I understand that the other BVM ARFs you mention are manufactured off shore, which could explain why they are comparatively cheaper.

The ultras I saw under construction were the nicest finished airframes I have ever seen. I too would love an Utlra, but can’t justify the $$ (yet).

I will have to be content with my Super and Classic till then.

Roger

Old 04-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Bijan999
My Feedback: (2)

So just out of curiosity, what's a total investment to get one of these things going? (minus TX)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Like $125,000
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
p-80
My Feedback: (1)

IMO JMP HIGHER quality higher value
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: roger.alli

Thats way too much money for a toy. Dont get me wrong I would love to have one. How do they come up with the price tag on these things. I know there is R&D involved. But just like there was on the bandits, electras or any of their arfs aswell. Is there twice as much material involved to make one that the price pretty much DOUBLES from a bandit to make one of these?
Hi Johnny

I was lucky enough to visit BVMs factory recently and saw first hand these things in production. They are beautiful(IMHO).

I can only assume that the reason the Ultra is costly is because, it is 100% made in the USA, by people who are paid in US dollars, at US pay rates. Additionally BVM has to comply with US labour laws, pay US tax rates, plus a whole host of other costs that Asian based manufacturers do not incur. On top of that, the people that actually build these things, are skilled craftsmen, who are modlers themselves.

I understand that the other BVM ARFs you mention are manufactured off shore, which could explain why they are comparatively cheaper.

The ultras I saw under construction were the nicest finished airframes I have ever seen. I too would love an Utlra, but can’t justify the $$ (yet).

I will have to be content with my Super and Classic till then.

Roger

+1
Well said, there will always be those that will not like this or that about most any product or manufacturer, however if you ever have the chance to visit the factory (call ahead) you will leave with at least a new found appreciation of how BVM produces and brings to market some great flying jets. Bob has been at it for going on close to 30 years in manufacturing, I don't care who you are that is not an easy task to do in this economy and global market.
Like everything else in the world you get what you pay for, usually. I don't expect to see a burger price next to steak on the menu but sometimes you just want the steak!!! Well now I'm hungry
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: p-80

IMO JMP HIGHER quality higher value
The only problem being that JMP doesn't have a plane in the Ultra Bandit's class and doesn't do ARF's - apples and oranges...

Bob
Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 AM
Boating Bob
My Feedback: (4)

If you want Quality, Service, Good build Directions, and out standing performance, go with BVM. Nothing worse than ordering a kit, getting it, and being dissapointed with the poor quality and poor service.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is not cost based pricing, does not matter what it costs him, it matters what the market will bear.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Thats way too much money for a toy. Dont get me wrong I would love to have one. How do they come up with the price tag on these things. I know there is R&D involved. But just like there was on the bandits, electras or any of their arfs aswell. Is there twice as much material involved to make one that the price pretty much DOUBLES from a bandit to make one of these? I dont want to start an argument here. It just boggles my mind sometimes the prices of these things. I have no doubt its a fantastic flying airplane. But there are other fantastic flying airplanes out there for MUCH less money. At the end of the day its still a toy. A very expensive one..

The difference between the men and the boy is the price of their toys!
They can get the high prices because people are too willing to pay it and there isn't enough competition. I seriously doubt there will be enough competition to ever lower prices because of all the flaming, degrading, and otherwise bad mouthing of anyone else who comes along. Who want's to get into the market knowing this? I just don't understand...instead of trashing someone new, why doesn't everyone try to help them become as good as everyone else so they create competition? Everyone's wallet stays a bit fatter when there is more competition.
Maybe it's a lack of understanding of basic, simple economics which seems to be rampant in this country that shows every election day.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't really care what BVM Prices his stuff at, I personally just think the Ultra Bandit is bone ugly. For the money I would rather have a COMP ARF Lightning (though I think it's ugly too, but at half the price the ugly is more acceptable haha).

For the price of an Ultra Bandit though, you can buy a JMP Firebird and have it built and painted for you. It's not the same style of jet, but it's a big sport jet, that IMO is much better looking.

There is obviously a market out there for the Ultra Bandit though. When it first came out I remember thinking "I'll be surprised if they sell 2 dozen of those", but they have sold way more than I ever thought they would.

So for me, is it top dog, no, bang for the buck I don't see it, not at all. Does that mean it's not worth it to others, nope, it's probably very worth that to some. Would I ever buy one if I had the cash? Not until it goes on a diet and loses that pregnant fish look

Just my opinion
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the end of the day its still a toy. A very expensive one..
Really? This is a RC site, so the fact that it's a "toy" isn't lost on anyone. A Lamborghini is a toy too, so what is your point?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I don't really care what BVM Prices his stuff at, I personally just think the Ultra Bandit is bone ugly. For the money I would rather have a COMP ARF Lightning (though I think it's ugly too, but at half the price the ugly is more acceptable haha).

For the price of an Ultra Bandit though, you can buy a JMP Firebird and have it built and painted for you. It's not the same style of jet, but it's a big sport jet, that IMO is much better looking.

There is obviously a market out there for the Ultra Bandit though. When it first came out I remember thinking ''I'll be surprised if they sell 2 dozen of those'', but they have sold way more than I ever thought they would.

So for me, is it top dog, no, bang for the buck I don't see it, not at all. Does that mean it's not worth it to others, nope, it's probably very worth that to some. Would I ever buy one if I had the cash? Not until it goes on a diet and loses that pregnant fish look

Just my opinion
If you want a plane that flies like a UB, you're not looking at a Firebird... both being sport jets is irrelevant because the Firebird does not have the same flight envelope as the UB.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

http://www.jmajets.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=108

For anyone interested, the above link should take you to a build thread kindly posted on the JMAweb site by Geoff White
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

There is obviously a market out there for the Ultra Bandit though. When it first came out I remember thinking ''I'll be surprised if they sell 2 dozen of those'', but they have sold way more than I ever thought they would.

Just my opinion
If you want a plane that flies like a UB, you're not looking at a Firebird... both being sport jets is irrelevant because the Firebird does not have the same flight envelope as the UB.

I never claimed it to be, I just said it was a big sport jet that I felt is better looking. I said straight out it's not the same style of jet. I'd still personally take a firebird over an UB any day.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Moerig

Thanks (mostly) for the informative input. Seems like price is really the main concern. I would love to see pics of the "out the box" parts. That way I suppose you know what you are in for...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFX450

http://www.bvmuav.com/

Call me crazy but I really like the color scheme on the UAV version of the UB a lot!

Jeremy, like it or not, there is no sport jet out there that flies like a Bandit, and nothing in the bigger class of airplanes that flies like the Ultra. I liken the UB to the add that Grumman had for the Tomcat in Aviation Week some 30 years ago:

"Some airplanes fly faster. Some airplanes fly slower. None can do both."

No airplane out there can match the Ultra Bandit's flight envelope IMO. If i had the money laying around to choose whatever jet I wanted.. It'd be the UB for me, although I'd have to paint it myself.. Not really a fan of the currently offered schemes.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: SJN

LOOK AT WHAT SONNICH DID??!!!

How come nobody commented on this? It is a single seat version that looks just like a big Super Bandit!!!

Hey Moerig, look at my thread of my building of my UB. I have TONS of parts pics. You can get a good idea of how the build goes.

Doug, nicely stated. The firebird, I hear, can bite you when you land. My ultra, although make no doubt about it, it is ALL OF a Big Jet on landing, I've found to be very true and predictable at all the speeds I've had it at.

Raf
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Moerig

PHOTOSHOP!

Hi Raf, can you point me to the thread? Thanx!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:31 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8748512
Old 04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

question what's up with Military sceam's on none scale aircraft

seem like two opposing things to me ? or is just me
Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty simple. People like military schemes in general, and the UB has a quasi-military look about it. Doesn't seem out of place to me at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.