RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to jets Boomerang vs BVM Kingcat

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM
George

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to jets Boomerang vs BVM Kingcat

Of the Boomers, the XL would be my choice. I have flown a few different Boomers and the Elan would be my very last choice. At first I thought it was just a fluke that I thought this particular plane didn't fly very well, but when I felt the same thing about a second one built and equiped by a totally different person...? I love the Boomers and they fly great, but for me personally, the Elan.[:'(] YMMV

The XL/P-120 will be a perfect combo to "cut your teeth"![8D]
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: George
...the Elan would be my very last choice. At first I thought it was just a fluke that I thought this particular plane didn't fly very well, but when I felt the same thing about a second one built and equiped by a totally different person...?
Not trying to put you on the spot, but what didn't you like? I ask simply because a good buddy in my club has been wanting to upgrade from the Sprint to the Elan, and I've been considering it as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
George

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No problem Sluggo.

REMEMBER, neither of these planes were mine!! The first one had terrible pitching moments with throttle movements and just was not precise. The second one was not precise as well and had a "wag" that could NEVER be found or resolved.

I'm sure there will be numerous accounts of Elan owners who will defend their planes, and it is nothing against them; it's jusy MY experience.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I understand. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
trioval00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lab doc, in posy #9 of this thread, did you see the video clip I posted? at 1 minute 40 seconds into the clip , you will see my Boomer XL with a P-120 take off and land, great set up.........

use your P-120 and get the Boomer XL

Mark
Old 04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
yeahbaby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Taurus would be another option. I may have gooned up the spelling but it's essentially an XL but with a bit wider fuselage (I think) and includes tip tanks. There is a thread on here somewhere you can look into.

The P120 fits, flys, performs, whatever descriptor you can think of, in a wide range of airplanes. Grab a plane that you think will fit your flying style best and let 'er rip. You won't have any trouble cutting your teeth on any of the airplanes you mentioned.

seek a turbine mentor in your area and have a blast. nothing like firing up and flying your first jet.

if you're not smiling...you're doing something wrong.

cheers
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM
highhorse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Torus' main change, as described by Alan himself, is the thicker/stronger wing which is designed for 160-class motors without the need for careful throttle management. The other change is the price, which is $400 higher.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I haven't flown a Boomerang of any size, but I HAVE flown a Kingcat a lot, and it's one of the nicest handling airplanes out there bar none. It's also VERY nice looking IMO for a twin boom airplane, and BV's airplanes truly take any guesswork out of assembly and setup.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
trioval00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

I haven't flown a Boomerang of any size, but I HAVE flown a Kingcat a lot, and it's one of the nicest handling airplanes out there bar none. It's also VERY nice looking IMO for a twin boom airplane, and BV's airplanes truly take any guesswork out of assembly and setup.
well. I own a Boomerang XL and I can say the same............... Boomerang XL jets take any quess work out of assembly set up and flight performance.......
Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM
highhorse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: trioval00

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

well. I own a Boomerang XL and I can say the same............... Boomerang XL jets take any quess work out of assembly set up and flight performance.......
Owning both, I think the KC has a slight edge there, so gotta "side" with Doug on that. What the XL has in it's favor is a million acres of space to work in, so if ur reading the right post in the right thread which is leading you to install the right parts in the right places (or if you have huge hands?) the XL will be easier.

IMO, of course.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
George

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown multiple Boomers and owned and flown a KC as well. You can't really compare a KC to an XL, yes they are both twin-boom sport planes, but apples and oranges.

With that said, go for the KC if you can afford it, but the XL would be a good place to start.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM
highhorse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I'm thinking the opposite, go with the Kingcat, it's mind numbingly simple to fly, but at the end of the day is capable of so much more. It looks better, flies better overall, and IMO is just more fun.
The Boomerang is easier in some respects sure, but it is a trainer jet. When you consider that it was only 6 or so years ago everybody thought the Kingcat was the absolute best trainer jet out there, you realize just how dependent we've become on super easy to fly airplanes. The Kingcat has no bad habits really for the type of airplane it is. It is very strong, and flies very well. I just recently sold mine after a few years of great hassle free use, if I ever wanted another twin boom jet that wasn't a JMP Hustler, it would be a Kingcat, the Boomerangs for me are just boring....
Not arguing with your opinion, just curious: Why boring? Is it purely a speed thing?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM
LGM Graphix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: highhorse

Quote:
ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

I'm thinking the opposite, go with the Kingcat, it's mind numbingly simple to fly, but at the end of the day is capable of so much more. It looks better, flies better overall, and IMO is just more fun.
The Boomerang is easier in some respects sure, but it is a trainer jet. When you consider that it was only 6 or so years ago everybody thought the Kingcat was the absolute best trainer jet out there, you realize just how dependent we've become on super easy to fly airplanes. The Kingcat has no bad habits really for the type of airplane it is. It is very strong, and flies very well. I just recently sold mine after a few years of great hassle free use, if I ever wanted another twin boom jet that wasn't a JMP Hustler, it would be a Kingcat, the Boomerangs for me are just boring....
Not arguing with your opinion, just curious: Why boring? Is it purely a speed thing?
Speed is part of it. I don't think the Boomerang feels as crisp as the Kingcat. The Kingcat has some bad pitch coupling in knife-edge, but the Boomerangs have some funny coupling in everything. The Kingcat rolls more axially I personally think. I just personally found my Kingcat to be a more enjoyable airplane to fly than the boomers I've flown. Having said that, after 175 or so flights, I was pretty bored with my Kingcat too and recently sold it.
I guess when I think about it, the visual aspect plays a big part for me, the boomerang is ugly, not that the Kingcat is gorgeous, but I think it's a much better looking airplane. The Kingcat looks aggressive. So I guess the visual part of it means a lot to me as well.

It certainly is more expensive, but I think it's worth the money for the Kingcat, and that's probably the only BVM jet I've had that I can say that about.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
highhorse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input.

Owning both a Navy KC (which I have not yet flown) and a Stars/Stripes XL, I can honestly say each of them is the better looking airplane, depending on my mood. I personally care only for the S/S scheme in the XL because it's so original and patriotic, but I wouldn't expect a Canadian to agree My fav scheme for the KC by far is the blue/yellow but I stole the Navy KC with a new Rhino in it, so that's how I wound up with my 2nd favorite scheme there.

Only 3 flts on the Boomer so far, but I observed zero coupling while rolling in either level flt or on vertical uplines. I snapped and spun the ever-luvin snot out of it (upright and inverted) on the 3rd flight and just loved it !!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Turbinac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey there, highhorse, note that there are a few very nice extras included in the Torus for your extra dollars. Wingbags, great F/g tip tanks, Sullivan fuel tank and custom pushrod/clevis set, all composite centre section, and it's not a rejigged XL. Put them side by side and you'd see many differences and there are a whole lot more that are internal and can't be seen. It is a whole new design. Possibly the best flying Boomer
of all and it will fly well with any turbine from an 80 up to a 160. My demo models have flown well with the full range. A P120 would be fine.

Lab Doc, The XL is a great jet trainer. That is how I designed it. The Torus is a step or three beyond that. It will fly like a trainer but when you open it up it really performs.

Have a look at ;- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCjzN...ature=youtu.be

The XL has brought many flyers into jets, as have all the Boomerang designs. It has sold in large numbers on recommendation. Boomerang Jets USA does not advertise. Our sales come from word of mouth by satisfied jet flyers. Does that tell you something?
Yes, I'm biased, I admit!!!!

I also admire the KingCat along with many other good jets, but the adage I have always followed is the KISS theory.....Keep It Simple, Stupid, and that has always been behind Boomerang Jets. Straightforward, easy to fly and simple to work on.

Whatever you decide, welcome into the crazy and addictive world of jet jockeys.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM
highhorse

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Wingbags, Sullivan fuel tank and custom pushrod/clevis set, all composite centre section
Those are nice additions which explain the $ difference, thanks for the clarification.

You and I are still gonna have to agree to disagree about those tips, tho. I still think they are bass-ackwards! I suppose that some day when I have my OWN iconic line of jets and have sold thousands of kits I can shape the tanks any way i see fit.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Turbinac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After I'd decided on those "points front" tiptanks I saw the same idea on the Flash and the Lightning. Must have been subconcious.....How comes no one gives them grief about their tips? Maybe they do?

There are plenty of full size jets have the same configuration.

I think they look just great!! I just love 'em. That's my story and I'm sticking to it......And incidentally I also think the Torus will kill the "Ugly Boomerangs" thing. It is a good looker in most folks opinions that I've heard. It's all in the eye of the beholder, as they say.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Colin Gontier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Turbinac

After I'd decided on those ''points front'' tiptanks I saw the same idea on the Flash and the Lightning. Must have been subconcious.....How comes no one gives them grief about their tips? Maybe they do?

There are plenty of full size jets have the same configuration.

I think they look just great!! I just love 'em. That's my story and I'm sticking to it......And incidentally I also think the Torus will kill the ''Ugly Boomerangs'' thing. It is a good looker in most folks opinions that I've heard. It's all in the eye of the beholder, as they say.
+1

....yes another completely biased Boomerang person
Old 04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
yeahbaby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1

Quote:
....And incidentally I also think the Torus will kill the ''Ugly Boomerangs'' thing. It is a good looker in most folks opinions that I've heard. It's all in the eye of the beholder, as they say.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Lab Doc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alan, thanks for entering your comments here. You've now peeked my interest in the Taurus. I really like the style of the Taurus, especially the navy color scheme and the tip tanks. How anemic would the performance be on a JetCat P-120 versus the XL. I just feel that the Taurus is a nicer looking airframe over the XL. Thanks again for your comments.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:11 PM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have owned the elan and kingcat, and have flown the XL.

I absolutely recommend the Elan with a 120 size motor. perfect combo. IF you go to a kingcat later, it will make it scoot. I have clocked my kingcat at 200mph with the Wren 120. The elan flew 157 with an 18lb super sport, and I have clocked several elans with 120 size motors about 165 ish range.

I think the elan is large enough to be big in the sky like the xl and KC.

Now that said.... if you have the money to spare, the KC is the sweetest flying plane I have ever flown. Very Fast, very slow, no bad habits. took me about 5 flights to get used to it.

I am seriously thinking about building another Elan, so I can have both a KC and an Elan... they both are fun...

If its truly your first jet, the Elan served me for over 150 flights and I regret selling it. I wont sell the KC..
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Turbinac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Torus will perform great on a P120. one of mine is currently flying with an older Simjet 130 and most of the flight is half throttle or less. You will be well satisfied with your P120 in it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Lab Doc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Torus will perform great on a P120. one of mine is currently flying with an older Simjet 130 and most of the flight is half throttle or less. You will be well satisfied with your P120 in it.
Thanks Alan,

I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll be a new Torus user. I've noticed that Altecare.com sells the entire Boomerang line, are they and official reseller of your products?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Turbinac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Altecare is our agent for Canada, but Patricia in Dallas covers the United States. As far as I know she has only two Torus kits left in stock, in the Sport colour scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29377.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1595672  

Search this Thread