Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yes, she's gonna kill me, and no, you can't have it. (yellow F18 twin ?'s )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yes, she's gonna kill me, and no, you can't have it. (yellow F18 twin ?'s )

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM
edgeflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, she's gonna kill me, and no, you can't have it. (yellow F18 twin ?'s )

Well 3/4 of way through completing my first turbine I have purchased my second. A yellow F18 twin. I've read the build threads, and notice there's a lot of references to increasing the strength of the bulkheads, but it dosn't say why. Can someone enlighten me ? My thoughts are also to use a Kingtech 170. I want all my turbines overpowered, not for speed, but it seems takeoffs are much safer with the extra thrust compared to a plane struggling to get on step. how will a 37 pound turbine do on this big of a plane ? Will it take off with authourity, or more scale ? Any other tips on this plane I should be aware of ?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Yes, she's gonna kill me, and no, you can't have it. (yellow F18 twin ?'s )

That F-18 is not going to be overpowered with a K-170. It'll fly it, but don't expect a rocket. There are a lot of guys using twins or big blocks (P-200, Oly) for a reason.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Yes, she's gonna kill me, and no, you can't have it. (yellow F18 twin ?'s )

If you wanting spirited perfromance, you going to be dissappointed with the kingtech, unless you keep it VERY light. 0200s and twins are chosen for a reason. Bulkhead strengthing is done for extra piece of mind. The newer bulkheads (if you have one of he newer carbon epoxy kits) are better than the originals, but most guys still beef them up.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the most critical former to strengthen is the forward spar former and here is why...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqTSxHOpbQ

This thread is very informative on what needs to be done and shows where the break occurred.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
edgeflyer

I figured the 200 would be the answer I'd get. It is the new kit, just ordered it. Thanks for the links.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
edgeflyer

What great info. All the searching I did on this plane, and never came across that. What kind of thrust would 2 o.s. 91's put out ?
Old 04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What great info. All the searching I did on this plane, and never came across that. What kind of thrust would 2 o.s. 91's put out ?
maybe 9 lbs each on a good day... I've just started building one for electric.
Keep it super light, if your not going to throw a ton of power at it..

The electric setups I'm plannning will have 18 lbs installed per fan... but I'm ditching all the goodies and slapping monokote on all flying surfaces to keep it light

with electric there is no fuel to burn, so my ready to fly weight never changes... that part sucks. But good for no trim changes

Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

37 lbs. will fly it fine !!! I flew my first one that was converted twin O.S.91's with a Ram 750... Nothing to right home about, but it flew better that the 2 0.S.'s... Then I put a Ram 1000 in it,... Big difference !! We the built 3 kits all at the same time and painted in Blue Angles and the had AMT 280 ( Pegusus's ) 30lbs... Flew fine. I then sent my Pegusus back to Netherlands and had it upgraded to HP, and that made a big diffenence.. It is 35 lbs... We fly one also with AMT 450 ( Olympus ) 45lbs, and it has much more vertical performance. This airplane is not a yank and bank airplane !!! It fly's very scale a very fun to fly. We were one of the first to put turbine in this kit, and we designed the wing spar mods and also reinforced the spars in the wing. We doubled the 1/4 in plywood spar formers with a piece of sheet metal sandwinched in between. The narrow section of former over the inlets is the critical part. I had a failure on that first plane with O.S. .91's in it. I managed to land it fine, but that wing looked like a stab on a V-Tail Bonanza !!!! All that being said, I think you will be fine with 37lbs. I recommend the Tam Bifurcated pipe and tell him the engine size.. He makes 3-4 different pipes depending on the thrust values.

Good Luck !!!!!

Danno
Old 04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Ron101

Hey Danno,
That is some great info!

As I said I just started mine to be built for electric from the start...
I have a few setups in mind, but the one I really want to run will give insane power and a good flight time... but I think the wing loading is going to push up there.
My math is telling me in the 38 to 40 pound range... but I'll have 36 pounds installed. What are your thoughts on landing this beast at 40 pounds?

Your experiance with this plane is very helpful
Old 04-19-2011, 02:00 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, my F-18 is flying with a BF-300. 65 lbs of thrust and a lot of fun. But it is not a Y/A...

http://vimeo.com/21881936
Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edge,

I'd respectfully disagree on the performance question, too. I think you'll find that 37 pounds of thrust (especially with the potential for a very light takeoff weight with that engine) is going to fly that plane very nicely. The only reason people are flying them with big blocks is because they can, not at all because they have to. The first turbine-powered example of this plane I ever saw flew with a RAM 1000 and a hack-job of a pipe. It wasn't a speed demon, but it flew nicely once up on the step. With today's more efficient pipes and 10+ more pounds of thrust, you'll be happy as a pig in you-know-what.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Hey Danno,
That is some great info!

I have a few setups in mind, but the one I really want to run will give insane power and a good flight time... but I think the wing loading is going to push up there.
My math is telling me in the 38 to 40 pound range... but I'll have 36 pounds installed. What are your thoughts on landing this beast at 40 pounds?

Not a problem !! Roll final, full flaps. wings level, nose up, and fly it to the ground with throttle...Flawless to the touch down !!!. You don't really adjust the sink rate with elevator, use throttle. I useally touch down about 3-4 clicks above Idle. It's a hoot !!!

Good luck !!!

Danno
Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Shaun Evans

Edge,

Also,

With the latest kit, you can build it bone stock for turbine. The one in the video was the twin DF kit without any mods for turbine use. The kit has been totally resdesigned (internally) since then. BTW, if you thought the airplane was moving along nicely, it was flying on less thrust than you are proposing.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

What are your thoughts on landing this beast at 40 pounds?
At 35 pounds dry, mine landed very much like my Facet2300 does..... very easy, very predictable and very pretty!!! Just like Danno said, you'll still be carrying some throttle all the way till touchdown. It doesn't get much better than that.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Ron101

Not a problem !! Roll final, full flaps. wings level, nose up, and fly it to the ground with throttle...Flawless to the touch down !!!. You don't really adjust the sink rate with elevator, use throttle. I useally touch down about 3-4 clicks above Idle. It's a hoot !!!

Good luck !!!

Danno
Thanks Danno and Gary
That's what I wanted to hear!

I've been testing the new DS-94 HST 128 mm fan, I dropped one in my Jet Legends 1/6 scale hawk and the thing is just a beast.
I need to check the thrust but the claim is for 18 lbs installed, I'm hitting 6500 watts at 124 amps and the thing want to rip my arm off It is a drop in fit in the F-18 ducting...
I think two of these babies on 14s will be just insane!!

Here is a video of my taxi test last week(wait to hear the full power run when I hold it back at the end, that's 6500 watts)... I hope to have it in the air very soon

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc-KYNq8EGQ[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55028.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1596500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61289.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1596501  
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron101

Hey Danno,
That is some great info!

Joe McBride's F-18 is darn near right at 55 pounds wet if I remember correctly. Lands VERY nicely and really has some presence in the air. Might want to talk to him about it to be sure, but I remember the airplane carries the extra weight quite well.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Ron101

Joe McBride's F-18 is darn near right at 55 pounds wet if I remember correctly. Lands VERY nicely and really has some presence in the air. Might want to talk to him about it to be sure, but I remember the airplane carries the extra weight quite well.
Wow... so it looks like the wing in not a problem.
I just need the power to push it around well, going to try and keep her really light.. I'm hoping for a great flyer

Thanks for the info, sorry to hi jack the thread
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 PM
edgeflyer

So since the new kits are aparently turbine ready are the wings reinforced. Basicaly what weight glass cloth should I use on the wings ?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Wings have carbon under the balsa sheeting
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: edgeflyer

So since the new kits are aparently turbine ready are the wings reinforced. Basicaly what weight glass cloth should I use on the wings ?

It's a matter of personal preference. Many use light cloth like a 3/4 ounce, but I like 2 ounce on mine. West System epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol and applied with the nylon 'cheese cloth' method.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:11 AM
edgeflyer

Look what I got today ! I hope yellow kits a few size f16's. I love the fact that I can still buy a kit from them, and they're great to deal with. And no, that strapping young man didn't come with the kit.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Shaun Evans

Edge,

Pleasure dealing with you as well. You'll enjoy building that bird, especially if it's a no-hurry project. As you know, there are a few complete build threads on here, so you'll have plenty of reference material. Just don't forget to grind down the right side of the rear-most former (stab) or else you'll end up with that signature oval starboard-side tail-cone.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Shaun.. sent you a couple PMs regarding a Starfire 2 kit. Are you getting my messages?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
edgeflyer

Awesome Doug. Great to hear your getting it. was that a P200 you said you were doing ?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Shaun Evans

Doug,

I am now. Just readjusted my settings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.