Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tam make good stuff.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tam make good stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tam make good stuff.

Having had a spectacular hot start on a BVM Sabre a few years ago, we (my son and I) finally got around to inspecting it to see what damage had been done. The stock pipe was torched, but other than that, no damage. I ordered a new pipe from Tamjets. He did not have the measurements, so I measured it up down and sideways and sent him photos from every conceiveable angle. He emailed me back suggesting his design as it runs cooler and is more efficient. I told him to go ahead as long as it fits in the airplane. When it arrived, I was blown away by the workmanship...no wrinkles, no missing spot welds...just a beautiful piece of work. I have had other pipes in the past....some tissue paper thin, some heavy as cast iron....none comparable to what Tam sent. Next time I need another pipe, I know where to get it from........

(It fit so well, my son had it installed before I had a chance to take any pictures..................)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:09 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Tam make good stuff.

Tam does make beautiful pipes;-)... too bad the one he made for me is for P60... and I want one now for a P100! Doh!!!
Anyone need one for a P60 cheap....hehe...
Z
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

well now you know where to get one.......
Old 05-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JZ -P-100... Nice!

Just flew the TJ A-4 on the Wren SS again yesterday... huuuuge loops, massive vertical, speed that actually causes me to throttle back a little (a rare occurrence). I just have a P-70 pipe in mine, but for a P-100 I bet Tam will make a new specific size (I'm just at 18.5 pounds of thrust, the 100 is 20?). What a fun airplane, you are gonna be in SCOOTER HEAVEN with yours on a P-100!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:21 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

JZ -P-100... Nice!

Just flew the TJ A-4 on the Wren SS again yesterday... huuuuge loops, massive vertical, speed that actually causes me to throttle back a little (a rare occurrence). I just have a P-70 pipe in mine, but for a P-100 I bet Tam will make a new specific size (I'm just at 18.5 pounds of thrust, the 100 is 20?). What a fun airplane, you are gonna be in SCOOTER HEAVEN with yours on a P-100!
Duuuuude,
23.5lbs of thrust I hear;-)

Z
Old 05-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's gonna be sick, ha ha! Might even turn that P-100 down a bit to stretch the fuel economy, you certainly have thrust to spare in that little powerhouse? I put in a 12 ounce plastic Sullivan long rectangle hopper tank (with gas/turbine fuel hardware) between the saddle tanks right over the CG and just forward of the engine case - the order of tank feed is saddle tanks first, then main, then hopper tank, then of course UAT. But my UAT is just aft of the equipment tray and is unusable ballast fuel, fortunately I've not ever used any due to feed and bubble issues and it's worked as designed, but if I did I believe the jet would still be flyable though touchy, in other words a flame out via fuel exhaustion would not render the model unflyable in a glide like if I were to have placed the UAT in the nose or something. I have the timer set for 6.5 minutes - Using a taxi tank for consistency I always seem to land with a nearly full hopper tank and a small amount of fuel in the main still, I am pretty aggressive on throttle even with the SS, so with your P-100 I think a hopper tank mod would serve you well. I could and probably should burn into that hopper tank a little more so I don't always land so heavy but for me it's just added insurance and 6.5 minutes is a long flight time to hot dog. The other day on one flight I took off with half saddle tanks to be lighter and I still landed with only a big bubble in the hopper tank and finally a fully dry main tank. With that short and wide shaped main tank the hopper tank gives a lot of insurance to suck the main tank dry even with the natural issues of fuel feed during side G's / sloshing on a nearly empty tank while still feeding well into the hopper, and any bubbles from the main into the hopper are handled with no issues.

As you know I also fixed my nose cone tray to the airframe and slide the nose cone off to access the two A-123 RX packs and the ECU lipo pack as well as the fuel pump and the solenoids. All that weight up there made it balance on Tam's personal CG location ("Slightly" aft of instructions) with zero lead so the hopper fuel is a free ride on the weight scale since the lead ballast got the boot. When you install your bigger pipe call me up as I had to install my bigger pipe (longer and wider due to my engine install) a little differently than the instructions show to do it for the little P-60 pipe.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tam does make the best pipes.