Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Two new turbine guys in N. Nevada, pics..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Two new turbine guys in N. Nevada, pics..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two new turbine guys in N. Nevada, pics..

I just wanted to congratulate a couple new turbine pilots in Northern Nevada - these guys are brothers.. Brad and Greg A. They just checked out with fresh waivers last month and have enthusiastically added to their very long and distinguished RC "career" coming from scale, pylon racing, warbirds, and everything in between for the last several decades. Many of you guys may have had a chance to meet them last month at their first jet rally at Cal Jets.

We had a nice "jet day" Thursday flying at their home field about 45 minutes outside of Reno. They have just formed a new RC club for their local area and have several new enthusiastic RC pilots in the club. It's really nice to see such experienced RC guys forming a new club and having jets be a big part of a lot of new RC pilot's experience too. As for me, it's really nice to not be the only turbine guy within 2 hours anymore - I now have guys to fly jets with again (we used to have 3 of us turbine guys here then it was just me and now we are back to three - hopefully more soon enough).

Brad and Greg were brought up in aviation - their dad was an avid aviation fan and model builder since a child and had the opportunity to join the Air Force and fly P-51's, then F-86's and I believe more types as well before going civilian and becoming a Western Airlines Captain based in SFO. He was an avid RC pilot throughout his full scale aviation career and well after retirement he kept flying RC and was into turbines too. The Boomerang in these photos was built and flown often by their Dad before he passed away recently in his 80's. I think it's an amazing tribute to their Dad and aviation in general, from RC to military to airline, that Brad and Greg continue to operate their Dad's Boomerang with a P-120 like pros themselves. They are an impressive pair, using well written checklists for preflight, start and postflight ops. An example to us all really. In fact Greg is a heavy wide body jet captain and check airman, so he brings a fresh perspective to his RC turbine operations that we can all learn from I'm sure.

Greg normally flies the BVM Bandit and Brad normally flies the Boomerang. They have a BVM F-86 in the works, in the scale scheme their dad flew with the correct nose art, etc. This will be one to look for soon. Brad has another scale subject in mind too, much more to come from this pair I'm sure.

I'm not sure if Brad and Greg are on RCU or not but I thought the RCU jet community would like to see some of the new blood in turbine RC that we can be proud to call one of us. Special thanks to the boys at Cal Jets for helping introduce Brad and Greg to the jet crowd last month as I was unable to attend due to my work schedule: Gregg F, Jose M, Kenny F, among others. Oh yeah, these guys are fun to fly with too! We had a blast in this "Northern Nevada" jet day! The first among many to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72366.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1605363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66669.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1605364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85202.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1605365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67923.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1605366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ht97996.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1605367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tk76493.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1605368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13058.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1605369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96109.jpg
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1605370  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80463.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1605371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj18579.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1605372  
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 AM
HAMMERDOWN
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Two new turbine guys in N. Nevada, pics..

I am sorry I missed these new guys and the "Jet Day" in the Reno area. I moved to Carson City in December and was also at Cal Jets with my new birds. Tell them to please let me know when they are flying jets again and I will be there with an Ultra Flash and an F-16. I am the only turbine guy in Carson City that I know of. We have a nice field in Carson and it would be great if they could come down and visit. I live in a full scale airpark in Dayton, Nv and we can fly here also. Please give them my phone number or send me their's. Hal (928) 486-6182
Old 05-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Two new turbine guys in N. Nevada, pics..

Hal, great to chat again, we've met before but you were only part time in the area! We have a flight of four now, it keeps getting better and better!

I live in South Reno (off Mt. Rose Hwy area). I'm about 30 minutes from the Carson field, easy. Give me an email PM and we'll go from there, lots of jet flying in the future for us all