Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

help on power box champion rrs

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

help on power box champion rrs

Old 05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
kjb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on power box champion rrs

Hi all looking for some confirmation from those with more experience using PB's.

Have a model with the champion rrs fitted twin receivers in it, set up with 14ch 6014s and 14mz.

I set it up with primary controls in separate power box channels with the exception of flaps which are on one matched channel, then direct from the receiver gear, brake valve, steering, plus a micro switch via a servo for lights.

Problem I have is there was an occasional glitching on the ailerons when operating rudder or brake valve. both of these were set up with mixes i.e. rudder to steering wheel brake to down elevator etc.

After a number of hrs I think I have found a problem where any channel not going through the PB that has a mix to a channel that is going through the pb appears to trigger a minor glitch ( even if mix is disabled and I then use just the joystick function to control the channel. I have now moved channel assignment around so more is on the PB using the matching but then I loose some of the mixing functions.

Anybody have seen this, perhaps I'm doing something fundamentally wrong appreciate any advice.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: help on power box champion rrs

Keith,

Alex posted this recently. Any similarity? May be something to do with mixing across PB and RX? Although I don't think I've ever had this on dozens of PowerBoxes.

All the radio and electronics are now set up and working nicely. Had an interesting problem with the powerbox in that freshly charged 5000mah Lipo's were only reading 5.5 - 6volts on the LCD display and the display itself was heavily pixelated and difficult to read. My problem was this.........the Airpower valve takes power from both the brake and gear extensions. I had the gear plugged into the powerbox for redundancy but had the brake plugged directly into one of the receivers. The voltage to the receivers is always regulated but the voltage to the servos is selectable because of this disparity in voltages to the multi valve I had some strange issues showing on the Powerbox to cure this I simply removed the +ve connection on the brake line to the reciever and now all is good. This isn't a problem I've come across before so thought I'd share it.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 PM
schroedm

Old 05-07-2011, 03:56 PM
kjb

Thanks Mark, very similar, just strange, when connected direct to a receiver by-passing the PB altogether it works 100% no issues.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
mselby

This may or may not be related to your problem, but the powerbox feeds a current limited amount of voltage to the receiver, I am not certain, but I think it is around 1 ampere. If servos are connected directly to the receiver and draw more than that, it can brown out the receiver. The fix has traditionally been to use the signal wire only from the receiver to the servo, and scavenge the voltage from a free output on the power box.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 AM
kjb

All makes sense, i think the issue is triggered if there is a mix \ interaction in the radio between a channel from the pb and rec direct where as you say the voltage could vary. The gear channel does not cause the problem whereas the steering \ rudder does. Thanks for the advice I guess using a signal wire and power from the pb is an option or get more from the pb direct. guess just my luck to find a problem bet there are 100's running with no issues.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 AM
schroedm

Keith,

I'm running a mix from Channel 4 (Rudder) on my Royal to channel 10 in the RX (nose steering) and Channel 2/5 on the Royal (Elevator) to channel 11 (Brake valve) with no issues?? Not that you wanted to hear that but I don't think Powerbox as a company would allow this "mixes across PB/RX" problem to exist.......would they?!

M
Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 AM
kjb

Well that is true so what could it be will continue to investigate, I have mailed PB also,
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 AM
jetnuno

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi

I am also running a Power Box RRS with this set-up mwith no issues. What serv o are you using in the steering wheel. I use a low current cunsuption servo (Futaba 3050) - more than enough for the wheel if you take mechanical advantage the right way

Regards

Nuno
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
kjb

The steering servo is a multiplex profi I believe and the others mini servos to operate brake and retract valves, nothing that would \ should draw high current.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 AM
jetnuno

Hi

Have you tried to put your rxs in normal mode?

Regards

nuno
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
kjb

These are the fs versions I assume they are by standard in normal ?.

I just tried different servos connected to the channel for steering, futaba 9451,and JR8411, hitec 649, same jitter but a mini futaba no issue. The problem also goes if I put the steering on a matched channel from the PB i.e. rudder, and leave the gear and lighting direct on receiver. Concern is it seems to work for other people, but then a few have experienced similar jitters and used only signal wire in rec. Madness........... with 1 receiver and no power box it is fine
Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
jetnuno

Have you tried to read this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8038701/tm.htm

I also have this issue with PB RRS http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10501492

Emmerich from PB says its normal[&:]

Regards

Nuno
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Moerig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kjb

These are the fs versions I assume they are by standard in normal ?.

I just tried different servos connected to the channel for steering, futaba 9451,and JR8411, hitec 649, same jitter but a mini futaba no issue. The problem also goes if I put the steering on a matched channel from the PB i.e. rudder, and leave the gear and lighting direct on receiver. Concern is it seems to work for other people, but then a few have experienced similar jitters and used only signal wire in rec. Madness........... with 1 receiver and no power box it is fine
I think your problem is the servo on the RX. The PB internal electronics and RX are probably powered from the same regulator and cannot handle the power spikes generated by servos on the power bus OR the Rx itself is glitching due to the bad regulation. The effects will not seem logical because the servos vary in their ability to generate noise, mostly due to the characteristics of the motor inside. Depending on how the PPM inputs from the rx are aligned in time, adjacent channel pulses may get corrupted.
Sort of exactly the sort of thing you would hope such an expensive gizmo would NOT do.
Your best bet is as suggested before is to "borrow" the power from the PB direct and only use the orange wire to the RX.... The danger here is that if you dont, your RX is not going to be happy with such poor voltage regulation
Old 05-09-2011, 03:14 AM
kjb

All many thanks for the feedback, shame though seems like it is not my set up as such. I had hoped I made a small error that explained this. Will get it working 100% with the workarounds suggested.