Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet crash at the Nall ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet crash at the Nall ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Jet crash at the Nall ?

Guys I hate to see this crash, but IMHO 2.4 GHz has been WAY oversold. everyone figures a hundred guys can turn on at once and everything will be fine.......everyone wants a concrete answer,you are going to have a very hard time finding it, the science of spread spectrum has become almost political now.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want that radio!

Beave [sm=bananahead.gif]

ORIGINAL: GSR

...frequency humping...
Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM
AnthonyW

Sorry for your loss David. Was this the one you just finished? At least no one got hurt. As big as Joe nall is, I dread the day something really bad happens. I almost hit Don Lowe one year with a fibreglass 500# bomb off of my P-47 and he was in a tent near the impound area.
Anthony
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/
Take a look at the videos here. Very good info on the 2.4 band and what happens when its overloaded. very easy to understand.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Countryboy

Friggin great! Just received my Ripmax module to convert my 10X to the Futaba Fasst while getting rid of the Spektrum conversion. I swear, I believe this is the reason why Maj. Woody jumped ship. I believe he decided the risk was just not worth it after having several back to back crashes due to radio failure. I still feel the Fasst is the better option though.
Dom was flying a Futaba 12FG when he had those crashes. I had a very similar problem with my 12FG at Kentucky last year. Fortunately (I guess) it was a hard failure (i.e., not transient) so the Futaba guys could diagnose it. Turns out the solder joints to the elevator servo pot (which is a surface mount device) were a cold solder joint and one of them partially let go, resulting in erratic elevator control and changes in elevator trim and centering. The current wisdom is that it was likely that Dom's, and a few other's 12FG transmitters had the same problem, but it was intermittent. My transmitter was fixed and has been flawless since. Several other guys I know with 12FGs purchased around the time of mine have sent theirs back to get checked out. None of them have had that problem since and I have not heard of any issues with 12FG transmitters since then either. I think the problem Dom had has been addressed.

My guess is at the Nall, there are just so many transmitters on that the noise floor goes up and all systems start having problems. If enough TXs are on, the band just gets saturated and everybody is going to have problems - its just pure physics...

I thought that they were thinking about limiting the number of TXs on in the pits this year at the Nall?

Bob

Bob
Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

"FEEL THE DIFFERENCE" JR

That blows Shui!!!! No bueno.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

SORRY DAVE!!!! Can I send you a HITEC Radio?? I have had them all and have HAD NO ISSUES with this radio..... I lost 2 jets in one day due to lock outs.....used JR at the time.....Sorry but I had to switch..... I know I will get hate mail for this but it is what it is! Did you have it insured??
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
tuan lam
My Feedback: (1)

sorry for the radio and reciver they can't speak for them self [&o]
Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Basically I was 2000' away (guess) looking up the tailpipe, through the motor, full fuel tanks and to top it off the mirror plexiglass cockpit floor over the RX's. "

I guess this is why Spektrum uses multiple antenna's. More to love....

Sorry for your loss David,

Sucks anytime anyone crashes.

Tim

Who crashed the T-45?? What radio were they using??
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 PM
SinCityJets

Dave,

Do you think the Gold plating on the transmitter had anything to do with it??

C
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: rolsen12

I lost 4 jet with Futaba before I found that the transmitter would turn itself off at variou times.

.....there is a power saving mode where the transmitter turn it self off.and you can set it in deferent times or inhibit it.have you check that out?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:45 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

In the UK our 2.4 radios are only 100 mw of power

Dennis
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Does anyone know if the latest Fasst Rx are still heat sensitive?
Early ones could go wild if left on the sun
Old 05-14-2011, 02:31 AM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

I lost 4 jet with Futaba before I found that the transmitter would turn itself off at variou times.

.....there is a power saving mode where the transmitter turn it self off.and you can set it in deferent times or inhibit it.have you check that out?
That's true, if you don't move a stick, switch or button in 30 minutes.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:35 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

That's true, if you don't move a stick, switch or button in 30 minutes.

Sounds like a worrying piece of software that that if it went rong it would spoil your day.......... Also not sure a powersave is that necessary
Old 05-14-2011, 02:37 AM
djnsayne
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gjhinshaw

SORRY DAVE!!!! Can I send you a HITEC Radio?? I have had them all and have HAD NO ISSUES with this radio..... I lost 2 jets in one day due to lock outs.....used JR at the time.....Sorry but I had to switch..... I know I will get hate mail for this but it is what it is! Did you have it insured??

If I change my name to DAVE, would you send me a Hitec Radio?...... tired of my Spektrum stuff
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rider-60

Does anyone know if the latest Fasst Rx are still heat sensitive?
Early ones could go wild if left on the sun
Any & all electronics are going to be heat senstive... not just Fasst RX. Best too error on the safe side and keep things covered or in the shade.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I believe this is the reason why Maj. Woody jumped ship.
Jumped ship to what? JR?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: HORNET FLYER

interesting......im still old school using nicads( i Know)......but I do not use power boxes, regulators and such extras( i have a yellow twin, classic flash , kingcat, firebird,electra and kangaroo.....all without fancy extras)

Could power boxes and such be causing issues?

I fly jr dsm2
Thanks
Paul
Not likely in my opinion. At the other jet events I attend, including FL Jets, these "lockout" problems are virtually non-existent. Entire weekends with up to 7 jets in the air all the time and no problems. The difference at Joe Nall is the sheer number of TX's. They had signs saying to only turn on transmitters at the pilot stations but no real way to enforce it. May have to change that in the future.

Craig
Old 05-14-2011, 03:13 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

I believe this is the reason why Maj. Woody jumped ship.
Jumped ship to what? JR?
To motorcycles or something....out of the hobby.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 AM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

For what it's worth when Iswitched from 72 to 2.4,Iconducted a series of tests with Futaba and Spektrum. Inever consirered JRat that time (years ago) since they had "issues then")This was done primarily in electric planes by placing esc's on top of or underneath the rx's! One plane was loaded with CF so Iplaced the 2 FASST antennas outside the plane's fuse in 2 short pieces of yellow sullivan pushrod pieces! Ithen flew these planes out to riduculous distances using binocularsoccasionally to maintain control. Ihad "0"issues with FAAST and some minor ones with Spektrum (these antennas were inside the plane but had multiple rx's )

Based on this Iuse FASST and Istill place the antennas outside the plane and have had "0" issues, see atached pics. These are from a C-Arf Ultra Lightning, Skymaster Viper MKII, Pirotti Tuono and a Boomerang TUONO. Irealize this looks a little wierd BUT I'd rather fly safe than worry about a little aesthetics! ROBBE now makes accessory antennas for FASST that are longer so it would be easier to place them in larger planes, each antenna is 400 mm long .. part # F0959400. Ihave not had to use these yet but they are available.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38602.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1608276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94023.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1608277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75141.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1608278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11076.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1608279  
Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 AM
franklin_m

Having spent my entire military career doing tactical electronic warfare (EA6B's), and doing developmental test on systems, I can say this is something the manufacturers should have anticipated. Any signal can be overcome. Spreading a signal across a bigger section of the spectrum helps, but if you flood enough of those small "slices", enough data is lost that the system ceases to function - especially a "one way" system like our transmitter/receiver systems. I applied electromagnetic energy (jamming) to attack key parts of air defense systems, but the the physics are the same in this environment. Any dense electromagnetic environment, like a meet with a lot of transmitters, can easily produce effects similar to jamming as seen by the airborne receiver(s).

I'm just sorry to see that folks are losing airplanes as a result. It was predictable though. Once you start adding processing in the transmitter/receiver interface, there's a number of issues that come to play, some are weaknesses, and I suspect there are a couple more "gotchas" out there waiting to happen. For those in the industry that read this, and are interested in talking, just PM me.

It's for this reason that I'm still using 72Mhz. Not a panacea to be sure, but at least the issues are known.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I think we all need telemetry that will send us an alarm when the signal quality drops, yet still with control. No foolproof against a total band issue, but better than the blind systems out there today. Couple that with frequency hopping and we have the best we can get at this time.
Fortunately Weatronics have that for several years now
Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 AM
rk2648

As someone has been to just about all the Joe Nall events, maybe its just got toooooo big.  Love going to Joe Nall but it just hasn't been the same to me the last couple years. I still enjoyed it.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:57 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.