Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets @ Joe Nall

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets @ Joe Nall

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Jets @ Joe Nall

I have read, and seen so much coverage on the event that is Joe Nall over the years, I just knew one day I had to make the trip out there and experience it for myself. Having made it through the week, I can see why for some this is more of a pilgrimage than a trip to a flying event.
I liken it more to a music festival than I do a model flying. Primarily because of the wonderful atmosphere that generates all around the stunning triple tree facility throughout the week, as well as the fact that its just too big, and there are just too many people attending for it to be classed as just a model flying event.
When asked by a friend back home to sum it up, the best I could come up with was that it was liking 5 or 6 separate air shows that each covered different disciplines/ aspects of model flying rolled into one huge event all at once.
I spent most of my time on the main show line as it were. I did mange to go down to the 3D flight line at the end of the field and have a fly, but I was just too pre occupied to spend any time on any of the other flight lines.. I guess this will be a good excuse for another visit to the Nall
There was plenty of jet action on the main flight line. I think it was pretty rare for there to be models in the air, and for there not to be a jet at any one time. 7 Flight stations were full pretty much all day, every day. In a few cases I saw up to 4 models in line waiting their turn to fly.
Allot has been said about the triple tree aerodrome, but I dont think it comes close to describing how awesome a place it is. Mr Pat is so generous in letting others enjoy and benefit from what has to be one of, if not the single best RC flying field that I have ever been to... and I have been to a few! The grass is just perfect, so much so that on the show line we were actively encouraged to take out shoes off and walk barefoot. To fly a jet off it was just a pleasure. I have always maintained that a good grass runway is far better suited for RC jet flying than the best asphalt, and this was proof of that. I cant even imagine how much effort must go into keeping Triple tree looking that good, but its worth it.
I originally intended to attend just as a spare set of thumbs. The guys from Horizon were really kind and said that I could fly any of their models, and a few others had also said that they would have planes for me to fly if I wanted. However... I never feel quite right travelling to a flying event without a model of my own, so at the last minute I decided that I could get a new hot line glider together. Much like the one I flew at Florida jets, just a little bit more insane. The fitment of a Jet Cat P-20 in favour of the little Lambert turned what was already a pretty intense flying experience into something that is pretty impressive I think!
I also managed to see an opportunity to supply one of my US customers with a turn Key Habu that he ordered, so spent a long day in the workshop just before I left and managed to build and set up a P-20 Bu 32 in record time. That fitted in the cardboard box along with the glider, and despite US Airways best efforts, they both travelled safely with me to Charlotte North Carolina, and provided me with a pair of fun little jets to play with when I could.
I also managed to pick up a turn key Comp-arf Hawk from the classifieds section here on RCU. As luck would have it, the owner was attending Joe Nall and was very generous in saying that he would bring it down for me, and supply it fully turnkey if I wanted to fly it at the event. That turned out to be just one of the high points of what has turned out to be a sweet deal, as the model was a pleasure to fly. Really well set up, and without a doubt the best flying example of the C-arf Hawks that i have flown to date. I have had mixed results with buying used models on line, but I have to say that this particular deal worked out so well. Not only was the model everything that I hoped for, it was a real pleasure dealing with the seller, and it just goes to show that there are some really decent people out there.
So armed, now with three jets to fly, what seemed like an endless supply of Kero ( Thanks Pete ) and amazing flying field and a team of friends who just couldn't seem to do enough to help I was about as happy as I could get.
I am not sure how many flights I managed to fit in over the week, but I think it was nearly enough. Not only did I fly my own models, I also got some stick time on others. I managed to maiden a pair of new jets, which went really well. I was honoured to be asked to fly the lovely chrome finished C-arf Tutor which belonged to the boss. As well as fly for BVM in the Noontime Demo with their Skymaster F-80. All of which went without a hiccup. All in all, it was outstanding few days of flying. I have to admit that the mixture of models ( Props/ Jets/ Gliders ) all in the air at the same time was not exactly what I am used to, and the close proximity of the tree line made for some focused flying, and didnt really suit my normal style of flying. But looking back on it, Joe nall is about so much more than just the flying.
Anyway.... Enough of my dribble. Some photos of Jets at the Nall!
Regards Al
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Ali

Default RE: Jets @ Joe Nall

The beautifully finished Tutor of Comp-arf boss Andreas Geitz.
I am not a big fan of the Tutor looks but my goodness did it fly well! This particular example was painted by the skilled hands of Ralle of tailormade in Germany, and uses his special chrome paint. It looked simply stunning in the evening sunset, especially with all the lights switched on.
This was one of two Tutors that I got to fly at the event for Comp-arf. Both flew really well, and impressed me, but both had their exciting moments. Firstly when the chrome version above ran out of fuel ( Some idiot filled the smoke tank instead of the fuel tank ) as it was a long way out on the down wind leg over the trees ( My god am I glad they glide so well) Then the other Tutor on its maiden suffered a flap issue with the set up which saw one flap have a mind of its own when deployed, and that was after a close call where we nearly took off minus the tube that supports the T tail onto the top of the fin ( Thanks goodness for preflights) All worked out well in the end.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:42 AM
Ali

The Tutor belonging to Dave Skillings ( SP ) If a plane were like a cat and had 9 lives... This one would be down to 7 already.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Ali

The Shulman stable. Both flown in true Shui fashion throughout the weekend.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Ali

The P-20 powered animal.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Ali

My star Internet purchase ( Thanks again Andrew). I like it so much, that I even turned down a profitable offer ( Hard to believe I know ) [X(]I think this one will stay in the USA as a play thing for US events, but to celebrate becoming an official Comp-arf dealer for the UK.. At last I think I might just have to get another one for the UK.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Ali

2.6M Skymaster Viper jet belonging to famous full size aerobatic pilot Matt Chapman. Another aspect of Joe Nall that blew me away was getting to meet,chat and fly with some aviation heros. I have to admit to being a little bit star struck. It was surreal, giving advice to Matt on setting up his Viper, as I still remember owning a Great Planes Cap in his colour scheme, and with his name on the side. As part of team Horizon I got the privilege to hang out with other heros like Qui Qui and Mike McConville which was pretty damn cool as well.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Ali

Pablo Hernandez spent some time dusting of the Nall grass with his low flying Bandit E. One day that guy will be a hot pair of thumbs
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you like the Hawk. Now roll on next project
Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 AM
fifou313

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Ali.
DO you have information about the quique's bipe with a turbo prop? My SPT5 need a new home...

Thanks a lot.
regards.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:45 AM
fifou313

Double post delete please.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
gio
My Feedback: (26)

I am very itrested to see how many people were present at this event, can some one ho took pictures at the event post some here so I can see for my self what they mean with 100 pilots at the flight line.
Thanks
Gio.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Couch Potato

ORIGINAL: Ali
to celebrate becoming an official Comp-arf dealer for the UK.. At last
[X(] Congratulations !
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Ali

ORIGINAL: Andrew Bird

Glad you like the Hawk. Now roll on next project
Thanks Andrew. I will be sure to keep you updated on when your next toy is on its way to you.

Gio. Sorry, I do not know the exact numbers of people that were in attendance. I am sure someone will chime in.
The Toucan Biplane is a full size aircraft that I know Qui Qui has some connections with. I would not be surprised if we were to see a model example available in the not too distant future. From what I saw it did seem to fly superbly, but then again with Somenzini on the sticks, its was always going to be so!
I too have been looking for a new turboprop project, and just before J.N I ended up ordering something totally different, in the form of a reno racer twin called the pond racer. I have been wanting to do a twin TP project for some years now, and this one will either be a success, or an epic fail.
But as always seems to be the way, the plane of the meeting for me, is also going to be an ideal candidate for SPT5 power as well. When I saw it on the C-arf line up I was fingers crossed that it was not just a one off, as I love the design. After watching it fly I spoke with Andreas in detail and told him that I wanted to make a TP variant, and he was all for it. He even said that he would work on the cowling and modify to the shape of the full size TP version.... I was not even aware that there was a full size Turbo prop version of this plane.
I am now sitting here, all excited like a kid at Christmas just waiting for my kit to arrive. I know its not everyones cup of tea, but I just love it, and it flew so well that it is a must have addition to the hangar.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Ali

Part of the BVM lunchtime demo inc the F-80 that I was asked to fly.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Ali

Same deal for Comp-arf.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:56 PM
FenderBean

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

im going next year with me 1/6 scale F-16 for sure!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Ali

The flying highlight for me was an impromptu formation flight with Dustin and Thomas. Thomas and I with the comp arf hawks have flown together before ( Hawks at Florida Jets) but I had never flown formation with Dustin that I can remember. It was allot of fun, and something that Thomas and I are talking about doing more often.

n
Old 05-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Colin Gontier

Just when I thought I had everything I could possibly want...

Look at the Siai Marchetti - its gorgeous Is it a production model yet? Nothing on the CARF website...
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Ali

I know exactly what you mean Colin. I am told that production kits should be available around September time. Let me know what colour you want and I sill get your order i nice and early.
Regards Al
Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a chance to go to this meeting but was intrigued by the comments on its size - found this video which kinda sums it up really........

marcs

[link]http://vimeo.com/23103803[/link]
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: marc s

Never had a chance to go to this meeting but was intrigued by the comments on its size - found this video which kinda sums it up really........

marcs

[link]http://vimeo.com/23103803[/link]
Get on to the traplet website and get yourself some of the past years DVD's great watching
Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

The P-20 powered animal.
Strange how something glowing red can be that cool have you had any chance to radar the speed of it? what´s the all up weight?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 AM
zemkes_wolfpack

Here are some Jet shots I took at Thursday's noon demo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92427.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1609585   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14033.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1609586   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28012.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1609587  
Old 05-16-2011, 05:20 AM
zemkes_wolfpack

couple more.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39330.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1609588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33897.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1609589  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.