Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Repairing a Jetcat ECU

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Repairing a Jetcat ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 07:17 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Repairing a Jetcat ECU

At Post #12 he was off a little I hope Peter Nir did find the correct transistor.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 AM
sortegon
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks you all

the driver for the burnt parts also looks weird... has a small black dot...

dont know if its gonna be difficult to get the replacement.

I use this ECU in P80 with kerostart.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:48 AM
sortegon

what would be the part number for that driver??
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

I have noticed that some of those solder joints have a large amount of excess flux remaining on them.
It would be a good idea to get a toothbrush and some alcohol and scrub away that excess flux, then dry the boards with compressed air.

One of the jobs of the flux is to remove any oxidization from the parts being soldered. Those oxides are still present in the remaining flux and should be removed.

Just my .02 wiorth, no flames intended.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:37 AM
basimpsn

I think the burn transistor is (NDT456p) and driver FMMT4401 NPN (I think ). Try changing the main part first (Fdd6676) and remove the BURN TRN from the circuit. Make sure the (Gate) is getting voltage by simulating a start or a starter test from the GSU before replacing that TRN. If you can borrow the pump or the glow plug TRN (without damaging it)and use it for testing.

One of the jobs of the flux is to remove any oxidization from the parts being soldered. Those oxides are still present in the remaining flux and should be removed.

Just my .02 wiorth, no flames intended.
I dont know it you every try acetone but it work real good for board cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87321.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1661145  
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 PM
sortegon

I went out today to some local electronics parts stores with no luck. So I just ordered online some NDT456P and FMMT4401.

hopefully dont take too long to receive them.

do you think I should go ahead and order some of the big TRNs? (I also think that the starter one is in good shape.)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Vinceyboy

Interesting thread, I also have a Simjet 3000 that the starter does not work after I accidently plugged the ECU up upside down, i.e. fuel/gas valves where the sensor wires go and visa-versa, ddi sent it back to Gaspar who returned it with nothing found, so I might just open it and have a good look myself. By the way, before I get any stick, I am a qualified Washing Machine Engineer, and repaired faulty/blown PCB's, so feel I am resonably qualified

Love to see a posting from Peter again to see if he managed to resolve his problem, as far as I am concerned, everyone has a right to work on their own stuff, whether they do repair it or Bu**er it up, it is their call, their gear, their money, and one would assume they are old enough to know the risks involved.

great reading,

Vince.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Yes you should get the big mosfets as well at least the then you will know all is ok, as a faulty component could blow the new one you fit.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Vinceyboy

Interesting thread, I also have a Simjet 3000 that the starter does not work after I accidently plugged the ECU up upside down, i.e. fuel/gas valves where the sensor wires go and visa-versa, ddi sent it back to Gaspar who returned it with nothing found, so I might just open it and have a good look myself. By the way, before I get any stick, I am a qualified Washing Machine Engineer, and repaired faulty/blown PCB's, so feel I am resonably qualified

Love to see a posting from Peter again to see if he managed to resolve his problem, as far as I am concerned, everyone has a right to work on their own stuff, whether they do repair it or Bu**er it up, it is their call, their gear, their money, and one would assume they are old enough to know the risks involved.

great reading,

Vince.
Vince it is only in the Jet world that DIY is frowned upon.

I cant believe Gasper sent your ECU back not repaired?? are you sure that the problem is not external from the ECU?

I fixed a AU540 gasper ECU in the past it had a blown mosfet and burned PCB tracks.
I mixed up the glow plug starter wires by mistake then the magic smoke appeared
Old 09-13-2011, 05:21 AM
sortegon

I have a special box (made myself), full with smoke. You just put your burned ECU inside that box and leave it overnight. The smoke goes back inside the ECU and the problem is fixed!!!
Its pretty magic.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 AM
sortegon

[quote]ORIGINAL: basimpsn

I think the burn transistor is (NDT456p) and driver FMMT4401 NPN (I think ). Try changing the main part first (Fdd6676) and remove the BURN TRN from the circuit. Make sure the (Gate) is getting voltage by simulating a start or a starter test from the GSU before replacing that TRN. If you can borrow the pump or the glow plug TRN (without damaging it)and use it for testing.

Basimpsn
let me see if I understood...
by saying to change the main part first, you mean changing both burned components, right? the ndt456 and fmmt4401.

then I just remove the big mosfet (top right, starter one) and check for voltage at the Gate. right?

this is to make sure everything before the big mosfet is working properly, right?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 AM
basimpsn

Basimpsn
by saying to change the main part first, you mean changing both burned components, right? the ndt456 and fmmt4401.

then I just remove the big mosfet (top right, starter one) and check for voltage at the Gate. right?

this is to make sure everything before the big mosfet is working properly, right?
Sorry for not being clear, Im saying remove the burnout TRN first, then use a volt meter and check the (Gate of N06HD in circuit) while pressing the starter test on the GSU. You should see at least +/- 2v or more (some ECU is positive GRN). If there is voltage then replace the (N06HD) If no voltage, do a ohms test from the (G) back to the (burnout TRN (D) or the collector of the tiny driver. NOTE if this ECU is a KERO START go ahead and replace all three parts (N06HD,Ndt456,fmmt4401)

P.S Sometimes Ndt456, with fmmt4401 is uses for AUX and have no effect on the Main function of the (Propane ECU) I think.

My opinion
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM
sortegon

basimpsn, perfectly clear! thanks very much. Tomorrow I should be receiving the spare parts.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
voaferro

Hi from portugal (i´ve been there, done that). the small burned thing is a regulator (type ams1117-?) they come in various voltages the one i changed was a fixed 5v one. It provides the power for the esc itself (i think it´s also the bec part). I tried one i took from a used Main board from a pc (busted but modern).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20863.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1661788  
Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
sortegon

so, did you get it to work?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM
voaferro

Hi sortegon, & other gents...
Yes, i did. And so have i with another 2 from the same guy...(diferent type). these last two have gone to the maker and one came as was in the first place(BAD). It was a power smd diode (8a-40v) on the starter circuit that were shorted. replaced with a double diode also taken from a PSU from a PC. Also u can have a problem in that u may have a micro gone bad (it´s power has, so it may be gone) Just keep at it. And DONT forget to VERIFY that the tru holes carrying that strong current (quite a few amps) may be a high resistance connect having suffered as they have. DO VERIFY they are realy good connection, also plugs, sockets etc I´d reinforce them w/ solder
I check the hole in the pass transistor for the starter. the one i scraped the green tresist had quite a bad conection (it only takes a few tenths of an ohm)

cheers
A.F
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM
Vinceyboy

Hi Seamus, checked the starter, it works fine when a battery is connected to the leads, and I checked the leads for continuity to see if it was broken but was perfect, the engine was working perfect before goofed, goes through the start sequence, and when the starter motor should cut in, it dosent, and comes up with "Bad Start" on the gameboy, so it seems like it is not getting a power signal from the ECU????

cheers,

Vince.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 AM
Xairflyer

I used to get Bad Start messages on my AU-540 ECU turned out to be the ECU battery, even if you think it is ok try another battery.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Vinceyboy

Hi Seamus, actually it is a brand new Lipo battery from Overlander, as the old Lipo did not hold the charge for long, and it accidently got shorted! I really need to set the engine up on a teat bench as I have not got it in a model at the moment, but want to use it in my JL L39.

cheers,
Vince.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 AM
schroedm

Vince,

Stick it on a test bench instead - we'll have more chance of sorting it then
Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: Vinceyboy

Hi Seamus, actually it is a brand new Lipo battery from Overlander, as the old Lipo did not hold the charge for long, and it accidently got shorted! I really need to set the engine up on a teat bench as I have not got it in a model at the moment, but want to use it in my JL L39.

cheers,
Vince.
My battery was brand new as well, the gasper ECU is funny on voltage level, just try another lipo fresh off the charger.
If it came back from Gasper it cant really be the ecu itself unless something happened when you hooked it up again. Forgot to ask which ver ECU is it?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Vinceyboy

Hi Seamus, it's a Fadec AU303, which Gaspar said is now obsolete regards spares etc. and being that is covered in a clear shrink wrap, I can't really look inside without removing that, which I am loathed to do. I'm not sure which ECU replaces it, but as my mate Mark suggested, we really need to get it on a bench and go through it, I do have a spare set of new valves that I could plug in to eliminate that possibility.

The new battery was fully charged by myself before being used, + we did check it was ok, which it was, if no luck, I know another guy that has the same motor, so could plug it up to his ECU and see what that brings, just a matter of elimination I suppose, but I crack it somehow

Cheers,
Vince.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM
sortegon

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

Basimpsn

Sorry for not being clear, Im saying remove the burnout TRN first, then use a volt meter and check the (Gate of N06HD in circuit) while pressing the starter test on the GSU. You should see at least +/- 2v or more (some ECU is positive GRN). If there is voltage then replace the (N06HD) If no voltage, do a ohms test from the (G) back to the (burnout TRN (D) or the collector of the tiny driver. NOTE if this ECU is a KERO START go ahead and replace all three parts (N06HD,Ndt456,fmmt4401)

P.S Sometimes Ndt456, with fmmt4401 is uses for AUX and have no effect on the Main function of the (Propane ECU) I think.

My opinion

After loong time went back to the ecu issue.
I replaced tHe 3 components, and still wont work.... Nothing else looks toasted. So now dont know whats next

Do you recomend me to send it for service? Or just order a new ecu?

Anyone having a spare ecu willing to sale?

Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Xairflyer

What components did you replace
Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 AM
basimpsn

Send PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.