Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pretty est Airliner never modeled caravelle

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pretty est Airliner never modeled caravelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pretty est Airliner never modeled caravelle

Thanks John I will , girl is still making me eat her cooking
ORIGINAL: John Redman

yes sir. Anytime.

Mis those evenings in your house with Deb. Tell the boss I said hi.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69292.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1610427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51324.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1610428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35215.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1610429  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
DP01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's where the Caravelle nose originated…

Dennis

Name:	hf99129.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1610430  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
WhoDaMan

Nick had me shot some approaches in the C-5 sim
10 miles out on center line baby,,,,,,, first time,,,,,,,,,, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Name:	By76188.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	1610438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58697.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	1610439  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
WhoDaMan

I like that plane,,,, if I remember right there was a movie about that plane , it had round windows and they kept losing them till they found out the windows needed to be oval,,,,,,,,,,,,,True,,,,, I think

ORIGINAL: DP01

Here's where the Caravelle nose originated…

Dennis
Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

You are thinking of the De Havilland Comet.

Its a horrific story...

Beave

Old 05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
WhoDaMan

Thats the one,,,, great movie,,,,,, sad story
ORIGINAL: bevar

Its a horrific story...

Beave

Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could eat Deb's cooking all night long. Good eats brother!!!

Now the thought of you in a C-5 scares the @$!% out of me!!!!!

I have seen you drive a car!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
WhoDaMan

LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Your on a role Bud

The guy in cockpit from flight safety, smiled and said,,,,,,,,,,,,,, soooooooooooooo how many sim hours do you have at home,,,,,,,,, Nick said,,,, way to many

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I could eat Deb's cooking all night long. Good eats brother!!!

Now the thought of you in a C-5 scares the @$!% out of me!!!!!

I have seen you drive a car!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Was that food posted in #26. It has been a week since i have had Food.

Don't ask.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:04 PM
WhoDaMan

Yes Bro,,,, my wife is a great chef That is what John was saying,,,,,,,,,,,, and you know I have to ask,,,,,,,,, you need a sign,,,,,,, will fly for food
ORIGINAL: drdoom

Was that food posted in #26. It has been a week since i have had Food.

Don't ask.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I may ramble... and I will... (please read in a pompous French, or Queen's English accent if you prefer... but accent required none the less)
The Comet Version 1 had "square" windows and the corners of the windows developed massive surface tension and hairline cracks due to the corners and the pressurization "balloon" effect the fuselage goes through. After a few pressurization cycles the cracks became catastrophic and the fuselage skin would tear off and the aircraft would disintegrate. They were using traditional stressed skin techniques and there weren't stress doublers, or other now taken for granted anti-tear strips and longerons, to keep skin from peeling off in large chunks if one portion failed. The fix was to introduce reinforcements and to also change the windows to "round" or oval, reducing the stress of the square windows. Even the modern Boeing and Airbus windows are derived from what the Brits worked out for pressurized aircraft - rounded corners. Cockpit windows that seem hard edged are in fact massively re-enforced to keep them from tearing at the edges. (OK, no accent required anymore)

The SUD Aviation Caravelle (the manufacturing fore runner to Airbus) was the very first aft mounted turbojet airliner. To save in development costs since the aft mounted engine thing was so new and time consuming, SUD bought a license to use the Comet Mark IV cockpit section to reduce costs (Comet Mark IV's were improved and successful variants of the ill-fated Comet Mark I). The interesting part of this to me... in the USA, Boeing mounted a pretty good campaign against the Caravelle to try to keep United Airlines from buying them. They claimed the cockpit was dangerous and unacceptable for US travel due to the commonality with the Comet, and also the small windows offering limited pilot visibility. Of course it was BS, but United Airlines worked with SUD and they came out with new, larger windows to improve visibility for the pilots - and the new variant was approved by the CAA (FAA) for US airline ops. This variant, I believe, was only used by United. The Caravelle was United's first turbojet, closely followed by the B-720 (a 707 variant) and then the DC-8. My dad worked for United in the 60's and retired in the late 90's and almost had 40 years of service - and the first aircraft he worked with were the Caravelles. A flying friend of mine much more senior in years to me but a friend none the less started his career at United in 1957 as a DC-6 F/O but then moved to be a flight engineer in the Caravelle before he upgraded back up to first officer in the B-720. He still does a pretty good "mock" French impersonation and at one time mused that he should have been driving a Citroen or Peugeot in his younger years. United offered a New York - Chicago and V.V. service complete with free booze and cigars for "businessmen only" using the Caravelles. Try doing that today??!! Caravelle's didn't last long after the B-727 was introduced. The triangle passenger windows on the Caravelle are probably the most bizarre throw back to the very long and gone, "fab 60's" airline culture.

RC Alert! You can buy a SUD Caravelle short kit from Norbert Rauch. Perfect for two 90mm fans or possibly better yet two high power 80mm Fans, like the TJ-80 for the Habu. You'd probably need about 4.5 pounds of thrust each... totally doable with a high power system. I'm presently preparing for a build of one of Norbert Rauch's DC-8's and I have the glass parts already. I'm using 4 of these fans on mine (it's big, 144" long, the DC-8 that is...)

Here are some of my stash of Caravelle pictures. After my DC-8 I plan on building the Caravelle in UAL colors. (Sorry for the rambling, but the Caravelle is also one of my favorite types as well)!

Name:	Tr49687.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1610462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37327.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	1610463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms43061.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1610464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13773.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1610465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd44060.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1610466  
Old 05-17-2011, 02:16 PM
WhoDaMan

Eddie that was a great info page,,,,,,, If you ever do one count me in I would love to get in on that,,,,, all scaled out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sweet

but accent required none the less)
The Comet Version 1 had "square" windows and the corners of the windows developed massive surface tension and hairline cracks due to the corners and the pressurization "balloon" effect the fuselage goes through. After a few pressurization cycles the cracks became catastrophic and the fuselage skin would tear off and the aircraft would disintegrate. They were using traditional stressed skin techniques and there weren't stress doublers, or other now taken for granted anti-tear strips and longerons, to keep skin from peeling off in large chunks if one portion failed. The fix was to introduce reinforcements and to also change the windows to "round" or oval, reducing the stress of the square windows. Even the modern Boeing and Airbus windows are derived from what the Brits worked out for pressurized aircraft - rounded corners. Cockpit windows that seem hard edged are in fact massively re-enforced to keep them from tearing at the edges. (OK, no accent required anymore)

The SUD Aviation Caravelle (the manufacturing fore runner to Airbus) was the very first aft mounted turbojet airliner. To save in development costs since the aft mounted engine thing was so new and time consuming, SUD bought a license to use the Comet Mark IV cockpit section to reduce costs (Comet Mark IV's were improved and successful variants of the ill-fated Comet Mark I). The interesting part of this to me... in the USA, Boeing mounted a pretty good campaign against the Caravelle to try to keep United Airlines from buying them. They claimed the cockpit was dangerous and unacceptable for US travel due to the commonality with the Comet, and also the small windows offering limited pilot visibility. Of course it was BS, but United Airlines worked with SUD and they came out with new, larger windows to improve visibility for the pilots - and the new variant was approved by the CAA (FAA) for US airline ops. This variant, I believe, was only used by United. The Caravelle was United's first turbojet, closely followed by the B-720 (a 707 variant) and then the DC-8. My dad worked for United in the 60's and retired in the late 90's and almost had 40 years of service - and the first aircraft he worked with were the Caravelles. A flying friend of mine much more senior in years to me but a friend none the less started his career at United in 1957 as a DC-6 F/O but then moved to be a flight engineer in the Caravelle before he upgraded back up to first officer in the B-720. He still does a pretty good "mock" French impersonation and at one time mused that he should have been driving a Citroen or Peugeot in his younger years. United offered a New York - Chicago and V.V. service complete with free booze and cigars for "businessmen only" using the Caravelles. Try doing that today??!! Caravelle's didn't last long after the B-727 was introduced. The triangle passenger windows on the Caravelle are probably the most bizarre throw back to the very long and gone, "fab 60's" airline culture.

RC Alert! You can buy a SUD Caravelle short kit from Norbert Rauch. Perfect for two 90mm fans or possibly better yet two high power 80mm Fans, like the TJ-80 for the Habu. You'd probably need about 4.5 pounds of thrust each... totally doable with a high power system. I'm presently preparing for a build of one of Norbert Rauch's DC-8's and I have the glass parts already. I'm using 4 of these fans on mine (it's big, 144" long, the DC-8 that is...)

Here are some of my stash of Caravelle pictures. After my DC-8 I plan on building the Caravelle in UAL colors. (Sorry for the rambling, but the Caravelle is also one of my favorite types as well)!
[/quote]
Old 05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

Its a horrific story...

Beave

Just as bad as the Electra, but both airframes eventually found a good home.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ha e flown many approaches in the sim and I was really impressed with Big D and his landings! I tried to get the sim instructor to let me flame out both #1+2 engines on short final but he wouldn't let me :-))
Old 05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

WOW! The Caravelle was probably the first plastic model airliner I ever built and the CV990 Coronado was probably the second [8D]

Name:	Jg14097.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1610564  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Indeed. It's interesting how both airframes ended up being ASW platforms.

Beave

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Just as bad as the Electra, but both airframes eventually found a good home.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

WOW! The Caravelle was probably the first plastic model airliner I ever built and the CV990 Coronado was probably the second [8D]
You have clearly got great taste in airliners then!! Both classic machines.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM
Nhalyn

Happy to read that Caravelle is known in USA with such words... The lobying for her not to be sold to US airlines was a sad story for a plane that inspired so much planes after that : DC-9, B-727, Fokker 28 and 70 and 100, Dassault Falcon series, Cessna Citation, Bombardier, etc... All that planes that use the twin rear fuselage attached engines configuration...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Prettiest airliner? Well it is the jet forum & there can only be one, also French (well half French!). - John.

Name:	Db84950.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1610676  
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Both are very nice, congrats to the French people
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Nhalyn

Those two birds are most important in our (aero) history...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 AM
WhoDaMan

Does anyone know what year they were retired ?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 AM
exfed

Has anyone ever wondered why the French can design such beautiful airplanes, but have such plug-ugly automobiles?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM
Nhalyn

The last Caravelle flying on the french territory where retired from civilian airline "Air Inter" in 1992. Last military Caravelle flight of the Caravelle "zéro G" where in 1996 and I have seen this flight ! [&:] She was used for low gravity tests with French "CEV" ("centre d'essais en vol", flight test center).

Last known Caravelle flight with passengers was S/N 251 in 2001 with "Gabon Express" in Africa. The two last Caravelle where flying cargo only until one crash 28 august 2004, and S/N 169 fly until july 2005, when her permit to fly (certificate) expired.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

When your yearly maintenance Dental Bills exceed or Severely cut into your jet hobby, or Your in a dental office on the only 5 or less down the runway, it is time for 25 Teeth extractions. Yeppers Ill never be able to chew again. However I know I have gained a couple pounds back just looking at that plate of food. thanks.

Oh Forgot to ask Is this Bird someones Personal Airliner?

Ill be getting a ticket on own post. [&o]

Name:	He97206.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1610754  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.