Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wall Street Journal comments on needless model regulation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wall Street Journal comments on needless model regulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:29 PM
cagmo
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wall Street Journal comments on needless model regulation

Check out the latest from the WSJ regarding the unnecessary regulation the FAA is trying to impose. I still think it's a shame the FAA could regulate a good clean hobby. It has helped so many in many aspects of their lives. We need to continue to let others know the silliness and non-valued added attempts of the FAA. It really serves no practicable purpose to drag models into their overly broad regulation.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...TTopCarousel_1
Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 PM
cagmo
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Wall Street Journal comments on needless model regulation

...also let's not underestimate the good power of the media in our cause. I for one appreciate the AMAs et. al. efforts and will look for their continued lead. In the meantime, I've written my congressman and will drop a note to the WSJ author to thank her and reiterate the good that we all do. I am so proud to have this as my hobby.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Do not underestimate this administration's ability for shoving onerous regulations down the throats of the American citizenry irrespective of the wants/needs of the majority of the citizenry because they know better than the majority. It's all about control of our lives and the creating more dependency on government - A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-24-2011, 07:00 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, nice coverage of this topic. I can't believe it made it to the Wall Street Journal. GJ representing us Rod!

"Academy of Model Aeronautics. The Muncie, Ind., hobby group self-polices model flying and supplies liability insurance to its 140,000 members—99% men with an average age of 58. "

Really??
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
topgun24
My Feedback: (25)

I sent her a quick thank you note as well. Easy to do since her email link is at the end of the article.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Done !!!!

Dan
Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 AM
mtnflyer14

I sent an email to Ms. Carey also, thanking her for the unbiased article on our hobby. Hopefully, lots of people will read her article and be on our side.
Regards,
Gus
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Rod Snyder
My Feedback: (1)

While writing this story Ms. Carey ask a lot of good questions about our sport/hobby. I think she did a great job of putting a very positive spin on what we do. A lot of influencial people read the WSJ as well as the average person on the street. This type of coverage will certainly help, if and when the FAA looks to further restrictions.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to see the coverage, and I'm happy it was overall positive for us. Though, I don't think the article is a home run for model aviation like I wish it were. Most likely inadvertently, and possibly to those who don't get the whole attraction of model aviation... It sorta portrays the hobby as an old wealthy man's pursuit - for those with upwards of 50K to burn; a hobby with an OK enough safety record with "only 4 deaths" in it's history caused by wayward models. They talk about high and fast flying airplanes. That's all well and true but they left out the very real and important youth aspect, educational aspect and social impact of model aviation. There was no mention that, for example, many of our best and brightest aerospace engineers were motivated as kids to do well in school and try the sciences by being exposed to model aviation. Or that many commercial airline pilots got their start on a RC model. Or, how many astronauts also fly RC today. Or, how many military fighter pilots also got their start on an affordable 2 channel model their mom helped them buy when they were a kid. Not to mention all the folks from business executives to fire fighters to store managers (and all their kids and their kid's friends) who also enjoy the fantastic fellowship and learning opportunity this family friendly hobby (and sport, to some) gives us.

So, in the spirit of not looking a gift horse in the mouth: Great! And no, the sky is not falling at all.

In the spirit of realism: We still have some work to do, and we're not out of the woods yet.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Moerig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

I'm glad to see the coverage, and I'm happy it was overall positive for us. Though, I don't think the article is a home run for model aviation like I wish it were. Most likely inadvertently, and possibly to those who don't get the whole attraction of model aviation... It sorta portrays the hobby as an old wealthy man's pursuit - for those with upwards of 50K to burn; a hobby with an OK enough safety record with ''only 4 deaths'' in it's history caused by wayward models. They talk about high and fast flying airplanes. That's all well and true but they left out the very real and important youth aspect, educational aspect and social impact of model aviation. There was no mention that, for example, many of our best and brightest aerospace engineers were motivated as kids to do well in school and try the sciences by being exposed to model aviation. Or that many commercial airline pilots got their start on a RC model. Or, how many astronauts also fly RC today. Or, how many military fighter pilots also got their start on an affordable 2 channel model their mom helped them buy when they were a kid. Not to mention all the folks from business executives to fire fighters to store managers (and all their kids and their kid's friends) who also enjoy the fantastic fellowship and learning opportunity this family friendly hobby (and sport, to some) gives us.

So, in the spirit of not looking a gift horse in the mouth: Great! And no, the sky is not falling at all.

In the spirit of realism: We still have some work to do, and we're not out of the woods yet.
Very true for all parts of the planet nowadays. Kids cant even find their way around their own neighborhood since they don't even look outsides mom' car window ever, too absorbed by that cellphone...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

I'm glad to see the coverage, and I'm happy it was overall positive for us. Though, I don't think the article is a home run for model aviation like I wish it were. Most likely inadvertently, and possibly to those who don't get the whole attraction of model aviation... It sorta portrays the hobby as an old wealthy man's pursuit - for those with upwards of 50K to burn; a hobby with an OK enough safety record with ''only 4 deaths'' in it's history caused by wayward models. They talk about high and fast flying airplanes. That's all well and true but they left out the very real and important youth aspect, educational aspect and social impact of model aviation. There was no mention that, for example, many of our best and brightest aerospace engineers were motivated as kids to do well in school and try the sciences by being exposed to model aviation. Or that many commercial airline pilots got their start on a RC model. Or, how many astronauts also fly RC today. Or, how many military fighter pilots also got their start on an affordable 2 channel model their mom helped them buy when they were a kid. Not to mention all the folks from business executives to fire fighters to store managers (and all their kids and their kid's friends) who also enjoy the fantastic fellowship and learning opportunity this family friendly hobby (and sport, to some) gives us.

Good post Ed!...
BTW PM me if you'll be in HK any time soon...

Z