Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Entry Level Jet should we bring to market?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
60N Size
19.01%
80N Size
35.21%
Both
15.49%
Hawker Hunter 80N
30.28%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Which Entry Level Jet should we bring to market?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
rorrock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Entry Level Jet should we bring to market?

Well we have one jetabout oneweek out from a production sample being complete... And 30 Days from the second..
Both are L-39's, both have build up and sheeted wings, both have nice high quality epoxy/glass fuses..

Due to size restraints we had to put the access for the turbine underneath on the 60N size... it also has metal electric retracts and sports scale trailing link struts.
The 60 size is
Wingspan 1320mm
Length 1560mm
AIrframe weight expected to be 2kg

On the 80N size we plan to set the hatch on top of the fuse and go for larger more traditional Air up/Spring down retracts with similar struts..
The wingspan on this one will be 1600mm

Both are planned to come with Struts, Wheels and brakes..

The 60N we aim to be us$800 including Retracts/Struts/wheels/brakes, SS thrust tube and 1.5L fuel tank..

The 80 is aimed to be us$1100 for the above, but with a 2-2.5L fuel cell depending on space inside the fuse..

I've attached pics of the fist one which only had partially sheeted wings to give an idea of what we are talking about.

So which should we do.... Vote in the poll and help me decide..

Rob

Note: Add to put the hunter on there.. Its one I really want to make
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kh17544.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	1615922   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20202.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1615923  
Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Entry Level Jet should we bring to market?

I assume the selling point of yours will be the price? There are already loads of L39s around and it's a shame we can't see something new.

What is the progress of your other models? Would it not be worth promoting those more (e.g. photos/video/online instructions, maybe a build thread) before starting another project?

Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 PM
rorrock

Everything else I moving along, However all composite models take a while to get into production.
I hope to have the hawk 100 thread running soon..

The main aim for this is to end up with a range of lower priced semi scale models..
The built up skinned wings make repairs easier, also reduced production time and allows better provision of spares..

I know there are heaps of L-39's.. But in a differnet price bracket..

The other aim is to go for the smaller turbines which seem to get missed a fair bit..

Not everyone has a field they can fly a massive jet at...

Rob
Old 05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Newskin78

to be honest i had read your post on new A/C for almost 10 months now and you promise and promise and nothing happens. F22,F20, A4, F100 etc.... all models that you posted pictures of and nothing. Are you actually going to come out with something? because for $1100 plus shipping from china I rather buy a FEJ airplane that is proven to some extent, who knows what chinese factory you are using and will they stay together?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:52 PM
rorrock

The A4 is out there and flying.. Just all EDF people at the moment...
There is 5 in Gel coat now waiting on people to choose a color scheme when they order.

The Hawk 100 had issues with no enough throw on the elevator when test flown on a simjet turbine.
Its being revised now for more movement and should be in production in a few weeks.

My own F100 hit a few problems with having wing cores cut by cnc. Those I had planned on using couldnt cope with the sweep.
I have found a new company that believe they can do it, and are now cutting some samples for me..
A fuse is being laid up next week to test fit the cores.. As soon as I have them both the fuse and cores here I'll take pics of them.

The factory doing the full composite jets have a long history of top quality work and have done some nice work, mostly in EDF.
I'm pushing the get this stuff accross to turbine though..

As for these jets, the factory I am using allready does some Turbine powered jets (not the falcon 120)  that are flying at the moment.
I've not heard of any problems with that jet and they are great with incorporating feedback...

Rob
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Keep at it. Your efforts are appreciated especially for the smaller P80 and less size. You are right it is a neglected segment of the market.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:25 PM
molo_30

ORIGINAL: Newskin78

to be honest i had read your post on new A/C for almost 10 months now and you promise and promise and nothing happens. F22,F20, A4, F100 etc.... all models that you posted pictures of and nothing. Are you actually going to come out with something? because for $1100 plus shipping from china I rather buy a FEJ airplane that is proven to some extent, who knows what chinese factory you are using and will they stay together?
Focus on getting the GPS units to the guys that paid for them first. It benefit you in the long run.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:22 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: molo_30

Focus on getting the GPS units to the guys that paid for them first. It benefit you in the long run.
I paid for one in December, 2010...never received.

Sad
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM
rorrock

Bob,
Scratch that,I've found what happened, the first time it didnt work and the second order did.However the system seems to have glitched due to the identical order details.
I've set aside one aside for you from the batch going into CA and will get it to you ASAP.
I'm starting to wonder if Homeland security thinks I'm sending missile guidance parts around as these missing units seem to be limited to the USA..
There's another thread running about this, but some trolls insist on cross posting...

Rob
Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
rorrock

Now to get this thread back on track..
Finalising the details of the 60 size L-39 today.. The first production sample should be ready in a week.
Aiming to have the struts and brakes done as well by them, but they can take upto 2 weeks for the samples..

There has been heaps of interest in the 80 size, so that will go ahead as well.. I'll update as the production sample comes closer.

And given the number of people who have also picked the Hunter... I've sent some 3 views to the factory over the weekend to get an idea of timeframe..

Rob
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: rjbob

ORIGINAL: molo_30

I paid for one in December, 2010...never received.

Sad
To be candid, I forgot about the GPS until it came up in this thread.

I totally understand that glitches happen. After my post, Rob immediately sent a PM to me. I trust him and I'm excited about getting the unit soon.

THANKS, ROB!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 AM
molo_30

Just trolling....
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where can this L39 be ordered from? Shipping to the US?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM
rorrock

Once the sample has arrived and I know the changes and the quality meet what I am after..
I'll do a build thread and begin taking pre-orders..
I'm hoping to get some dealers on board in the various countries for this range...

Once we start production, it will then be a matter of weeks to start shipping.. either to dealers or direct...

Rob
Old 05-31-2011, 07:20 PM
rorrock

So we set things in motion to have a sample set done of the air up/spring down retracts, struts, wheels and brakes for the 60N L-39..
The factory has stated it will about a month for the samples to be ready
this gives me time to incorporate some changes such as CF rods in the wing anti rotation points and a longer wing tube.
Will still push ahead with getting the sample of the airframe first to show how it goes together and work out the dimension for the fuel tank.

Rob
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
rorrock

Fuel tank is now sorted and will hold 1.5L and sit pretty close to the CoG...
There's also heaps of room upfront for all the electronics, what is in the pic is the base layer for Airtanks, etc.
SoIts planned to have a second level that will be for ECU, pump, RCetc..
Would you guys prefer it that way or would you rather the freedom to create you own setup in this area to mount as you want?

Rob

Name:	fd90982.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1618058   Click image for larger version

Name:	dy80504.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1618059   Click image for larger version

Name:	lr39224.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1618060  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:49 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Rob, would a Reg. Wren 44 green machine push this jet??? Looks great.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
rorrock

Hooker,
    I imagine it would.. Do you have the distance between the mount holes in the straps? I can check if it would bolt straight onto the rails.
other than that I would imagine you would need a smaller thrust tube and want to build it slight lighter... I guess I could look into a lighter build with no rudder and partially skinned wings if required... but I'd prefer to stick with the single build...
The Hawk 100 is going to release at the end of the month and was test flown originally on a simjet 7lb turbine and did pretty well.. Until the lack of elevator movement lead to it having an in depth discussion with a tree...

Rob

Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Rob, The mounting holes on my 44 are abt 29.00 Mils. Wouldn't have it without a rudder. Post it when you have a good set of photos on the complete kit for this one. thanks for your return.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
rorrock

We pulled apart the original sample and have made some changes and have the production sample underway..
The following changes have been made for the final version..

- Wings fully sheeted in 2mm ply..
- Functional Rudder added
- CF wing tube that extends 1/3 of the way into the wing
- CF wing Pins
- Electronics mounting plate raised and extended to the front of the fuse and 90mm into the back of the fuse
  this sits above the wing tubes and supports the fuel tank.

We may bring out wheel wells later depending on interest..

Old 06-19-2011, 06:14 AM
gatorbait2

That model is not by Southern Cross or RCwares at all. It is made by a company called LHK, and it was shown at the Beijing Model Fair last month. There are a bunch of pictures online. It looks like the Easytiger Tigerline L39. Emails to the manufacturer have gone unanswered yet, as of today, but it is the weekend.
I do know this, that the other models that Rob Orrock was claiming to be the manufacturer for, it turned out to be a lie. They were developed completely by a company named Smartmodel in Hong Kong, and the owner, Kim, was perfectly willing to sell directly, and he said that Rob Orrock was just a dealer who had sold no models at all yet.
Rob, why don't you show me a picture of you holding this L39, since you say you have one already?
Like you have all the GPS units we never received?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Extreme_RC

Thats true, the A4 and Hawk are Kins models, the A4 is a 90mm EDF model and was flown with one of those changsun? I think they are called fans, looks like a schubie rotor. The F15 is also a smartmodel kit, also the F20 and MIG thats on the design table right now. Isnt everyone still waiting to see the 70mm Smartmodel Hawk build thread??
Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 AM
rorrock

Mark,
That is where you are wrong... The models aren't kins.. They belong to the factory he buys them from.. The same as the rest of us that do.
However he no longer sells any of them due to a conflict of interest over being a small owner of the factory and some other issues regardin some OEM products the factory was working on.
In fact smartmodel won't be offering any of the kits from the factory now...

Rob
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Extreme_RC

ORIGINAL: rorrock
Mark,
That is where you are wrong... The models aren't kins.. They belong to the factory he buys them from.. The same as the rest of us that do.
However he no longer sells any of them due to a conflict of interest over being a small owner of the factory and some other issues regardin some OEM products the factory was working on.
In fact smartmodel won't be offering any of the kits from the factory now...
Rob
Point the guy was makingis you didnt design them...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
rorrock

Well this has been taken off thread far enough so back on track..
I've gotten some progress pics of the new wing thats being built to spec for the production sample..
Hopefully i'll get an update on the struts/wheels/brakes today from the factory thats doing them..
The thrust pipe cad work is taking a while, and thats because im slow at CAD..
I might get a drafty mate to help out on this as I need to do a set for the Hawk 100 too.

Anyway, here are the pics..

Rob

Name:	ay75849.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1626408   Click image for larger version

Name:	xs58095.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1626409  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.