Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wren 44 Gold Kero Start

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wren 44 Gold Kero Start

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wren 44 Gold Kero Start

I received my kero-upgraded 44 Gold back from Wren this morning, and fired it up this evening.

Using the facilities of the new Xicoy Fadec , I was able to prime the pump and burner before the action.

The startup was silky smooth and though I didn’t bother timing it, it didn’t seem to take any longer to run up than it did on gas.

The burner plug is rather less than 1/4in taller than the glowplug so I imagine that it will fit into most models with no problems.

I’m really looking forward to installing it in my Nano tomorrow and giving it some air time when the weather’s suitable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96855.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1624743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84381.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1624744  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wren 44 Gold Kero Start

Now thats a nice set-up Gordon. Get us some Vids of that nano with the 44. Thanks for posting. Roy
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 AM
GrayUK

Nice.

Paul
Old 06-19-2011, 05:12 AM
petera38

Hi Gordon

Nice set-up!

Coming home from a test run with my Nano a few minutes ago, I saw your post. A question, however: Does the kero start set-up crave another Fadec than the standard one? Or can it be upgraded?
I was surprised, when I fired up my 44 Gold yesterday, of how easy it was, "the old fashioned way" with gas start.

Greetings from your old "P-38 friend" from >>Denmark, now living in Sweden.

Pete Alstrup
Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Nice Gordon! No more big packs for you!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Gordon W

Hi Pete

It's very nice to hear from you again. I was thinking about you the other day as I was sorting through my old magazines etc and uncovered your P-38 MOI Newsletters which are now properly archived in my P-38 folder. I still haven't managed to put a big P-38 together, but I've had a set of Robart P-38 retracts sitting around for the past 3 years. I'm determined to get one in the air eventually, most likely with a pair of Saito 4str petrols.

The kero upgrade for the 44 Gold requires the following replacement parts:

Xicoy ECU AU-107K (pre-programmed)
Data Terminal (3 wire type) compatible with ECU
Hausl ZP25M14 magnetically coupled fuel pump
Wren kero burner complete with PTFE feed pipe and in-line connector
3mm "T" or "Y" connector

Anyone who's happy with gas start will have no need to effect the change. I still have two other 44 Golds on gas start. I merely had this one changed to kerostart because it had to go back for a bearing change and I decided to have them do the kero upgrade. The parts cost approaches £400, which is about the same cost as 3 sets of lipos for a 4kW EDF installation. Since I packed in with high power EDF about 20 months ago to go turbine with my 44 Golds, I haven't had to regularly spend loads of money on replacing puffed big lipos, so had some spare savings burning a hole in my pocket!!

Ref the Nano, I still find after almost two years of flying it that its appeal hasn't diminished in any way as it's so versatile and aerobatic. I also have a 44-powered Fox Composites Hawk, and by the end of next year hope to have built a Folland Gnat and DH Sea Vixen. No wonder the poor old P-38 keeps going off to the right.

Cheers

Gordon

PS. Have a look at post nos 83 and 84 on the following link for a clever P-38 flap mechanism.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=710608&page=6
Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

That's right Bob! I do miss the quiet whoosh of the Stumax though [8D]

Cheers

Gordon
Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 AM
petera38

Hi Gordon,

Nice to hear from you too. I see your name now and then in threads on R/C Universe ..in jet related topics.

As regards the P38 MOI ..it has been past for a long time now. I remember that I got tired of building almost two of everything when I had all the wooden parts cut out and ready for building a Ziroli P38, so I sold the kit and accessories, and haven´t been thinking much of building one again. I´ve got, however a small electric P38 which flies great...so when I feel like flying twins again I just pick up the electric one and go to the nearby field......
I began flying jets when I became 60! Ducted fans were never for me, so when gas turbines had developped to almost "plug and play", I was ready! I have mostly been flying Boomerangs, They suit my needs, and match my age...!

As regards fowler flaps, I constructed a set which was published in R/C Scale Modeller...I think it was. Very simple, light and stable! A modelling friend of mine just finished his large Palmer C130 Hercules with these flaps and electric power. Great flying plane.

As for the Nano, I haven´t had a chance to fly it yet, just checking the turbine, and the r/c installations, taxiing around to adjust the steering. But judging from your enthusiasm, I´m sure I´ll like it!

Cheers

Pete
Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I loved my Wren 44. What a sweet motor it is and now with Kero Start.
Need I say enjoy it?

ORIGINAL: Gordon W

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

That's right Bob! I do miss the quiet whoosh of the Stumax though [8D]

Cheers

Gordon