Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

servo fire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

servo fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: servo fire

ORIGINAL: Moerig

Agreed you want control, but digital servos have the ability to be intelligent (pending the designer) It will know that it cannot reach its final position at full power if it does not happen within a few seconds. It knows this from the feedback pot position! So it can back off enough to prevent stall and burnout. Pointless for it to zap full power when its obviously going nowhere, like on flaps in the OP's case. Could save a model instead of just burning out for no good reason altogether. Not much of a mental challenge now is it. Sort of like a rev limiter on a car.
There is a heck of a lot more intellegence in Hitec digital servos compared to most other brands. Including, in the latest generation, overload protection. Default is off, but it is there, and can be turned on if you wish. Naturally, this requires the Hitec servo programmer, a worthwhile investment if you use a lot of their servos. I use Hitec servos extensively and have the programmer. No problems in over six years that were not of my own doing.

...jim
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, all I use anymore is Hitec, this is my first glitch using them. and I have that programmer d i works great
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, most likely all the current that fried your servo flowed thru your receiver and regulators. Just a heads up.

Also, if there is a short between the positive wire to the servo, and the signal wire, the servo will burn. I have seen that happen.

Jack
Old 06-22-2011, 01:55 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I am always a little amused when a modeler is surprised that a servo ($20.00-$100.00) fails when the government spends millions on electronics and can not guarrantee it won't fail.

Most of my experience with Hitec servos has been good but I did see 4-5 bad HS-225 motors. They appearded to be all from the same batch(brush mounting failure) while others with a different code have been good.

I am surprised that there are not more servo failures when I read about so many being used at voltages above the rated voltage.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
SPLIT S

PPG for me. Here's a pic of the latest job - DBC color with 2021 clear.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49862.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1626442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24532.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1626443  
Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, here is my conclusion as to why I had this problem.

I replaced the servos, with Hitecs 5645's. the right side wing that smoked was the first side I checked. With my inline meter, there was a high amp draw when flaps were fully deployed, a few clicks on the travel adjusment setting in my radio and the numbers dropped.

So MY Fault, to much binding on the down side of the flap settings?????????????

but then again, I am not sure if I would really know the right answer.

Mark
Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Mark

just for the record the wood frame of the flap servo is not 90 degrees with the flap hinge and that can cause binding in some positions...
but its an easy fix with an extra spacer of wood on one servo side to bring it closer to 90degrees with the hinge line...

5645 is strong and will handle your flaps!If i recall corect there should come with there clasic blue aluminium arm ?!

If yes use it! ...it takes a long link but works...here is my set up on the L39 with hs7955tg and use a triple switch with delay.......any videos of your L39 fly??

cheers
George