Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle 1/6 scale F-16 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle 1/6 scale F-16 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Fly Eagle 1/6 scale F-16 Build Thread

It just seemed like you were getting some deterrance at first, which I am facing now.  Many think the f-16 is a good first turbine, and many wont look past the shock jet or even boomerangs.    I'm all for the f-16.  I bought the MB f-86D but its a lot more work to build, and I think while it may fly slower yet, I think it is more prone to failure from a building issue more than anything.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

They do that to every person looking to get into jets. Some peoples flying skills may not allow for a scale jet, but like I said I know my ability.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 PM
essyou35

What was your experience before the f-16?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 AM
FenderBean

Helicopters, 100cc 3d planes, as far as turbines this is my first. I did build and fly a mig 29 EDF, been flying rc for 20 years.
If you build something right and balance it correctly all airborne vehicles are predictable, but thats my opinion.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Fender said, it depends on your ability, which some people are able to judge better than others. Another factor is your risk tolerance. Are you okay damaging the plane during the learning process? If so, then go for it. If not, then there are easier turbine jets to start with. It's not different than anything else in life that involves a learning curve. Some people get it right away, others require more time.

FWIW, I started with a F-16 and flew it off of a 500' runway with trees blocking the approach. Landing was easy with the 40% 3D planes I flew at the time, but more challenging with the F-16. The hardest part was stopping it before I ran out of concrete. I had some bumps and bruises with that plane, but I learned a lot during the process.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 AM
essyou35

I agree, risk tolerance is a big one but that is not necessarily tied to experience.  If all you fly is a shockjet, you have low risk for a long time.  If you fly a scale jet, your risk is higher regardless of how good you are.

That goes for any airframes or power systems, heavier is more risky.  Some people try to build light and floaty, I always build heavy as I like the feel.  Landings are harder but I have way more fun.

I enjoy the challenge and I tire quickly with light or easy to fly things.  Made a nice blog post about it on RCG:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=228383

I am of the mindset, I bought it, now its worthless.  So the money is gone no matter what.  I dont have a midset of "I want to sell this later".  Its mine, I use it, it devalues, its all good.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 AM
dubd

My point is that you as a consumer have to make the decision that you're okay with damaging the plane if you don't have the skills. Aside from the money side of damaging a plane, you're not able to practice between repairs. Once again, you have to make the call. There is no wrong choice, it's your money.

Many of us started flying turbines after years of flying giant scale warbirds or 35%-40% 3D planes, so a ShockJet isn't even a consideration. There are plenty of jet airframes (with a wide range in cost) for an experienced pilot to start with that are easier than a scale jet, but harder than a Shock Jet. For instance, if I were to do it again, I would have started with a CARF Flash as it's easy to fly/land, low maintenance, and has a wide flight envelope.

BTW - Not all scale jets are hard to fly, but they can't take the abuse that a sport jet can.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 PM
FenderBean

I picked scale because that's my only appeal to this side of hobby, I don't like sport/speed jets. I would rather see a nice fly by at half throttle with wing stores and scale lights than 200 mph. That's just me and my personal opinion.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM
dubd

Sport planes are like Extras and Yaks to me. I don't go crazy on how they look, but I love to fly them. Sport Jets also allows you to expand your flight envelope from precision flying to pulling hard Gs that will destroy a scale plane. I'll always have at least one in my fleet.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mr. skydive,
I read your post on rc groups and i see you getting "bored" even with the turbine part of the hobby. I fly only scale jets and quite frankly am not interested at all in foamies, prop planes or even the most expensive sport jets. I have not owned a prop plane since 1983, it has been jets only since then. I like being on the "edge" with a scale jet and like fenderbean said, i would rather watch a nice scale flyby any day over some crazy sport flying. The hobby is a passion for me since i was 10yrs old and i dont see it slowing down any time soon. I am one of those "50ish" guys you are referring to in your rc groups post.
I believe you are in this hobby to "prove" something or someone how good you are or can be. I have seen your "type" come and go in this hobby and if i was a betting man i would say you will be gone from the hobby in the near future, turbins or not. Most of us on this forun wake up thinking about our jets and go to sleep at nite thinking about which jet we would like to build and fly next. I dont see that in your personality so i believe you are " looking for love in all the wrong places" just my 2cents... btw, where is "non USA??
Vin...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I picked scale because that's my only appeal to this side of hobby,
I mostly feel the same way. The props planes that I have, as well as foamies, are all scale planes and EDF jets. And I also like seeing 'scale' planes/jets being flown 'scale.'

My exception would be the Flash, classic version. I've liked it from the get-go because, frankly, it's a sport jet that has a scale look, similar to the F-5. It has a tough airframe that can take some g's and less than optimum landings without coming from together to apart. Otherwise, like you say, other types of jets just don't have that much appeal.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Mr. skydive,
I read your post on rc groups and i see you getting ''bored'' even with the turbine part of the hobby. I fly only scale jets and quite frankly am not interested at all in foamies, prop planes or even the most expensive sport jets. I have not owned a prop plane since 1983, it has been jets only since then. I like being on the ''edge'' with a scale jet and like fenderbean said, i would rather watch a nice scale flyby any day over some crazy sport flying. The hobby is a passion for me since i was 10yrs old and i dont see it slowing down any time soon. I am one of those ''50ish'' guys you are referring to in your rc groups post.
I believe you are in this hobby to ''prove'' something or someone how good you are or can be. I have seen your ''type'' come and go in this hobby and if i was a betting man i would say you will be gone from the hobby in the near future, turbins or not. Most of us on this forun wake up thinking about our jets and go to sleep at nite thinking about which jet we would like to build and fly next. I dont see that in your personality so i believe you are '' looking for love in all the wrong places'' just my 2cents... btw, where is ''non USA??
Vin...
Good call Vin
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
dubd

Mr. skydive,
I read your post on rc groups and i see you getting ''bored'' even with the turbine part of the hobby. I fly only scale jets and quite frankly am not interested at all in foamies, prop planes or even the most expensive sport jets. I have not owned a prop plane since 1983, it has been jets only since then. I like being on the ''edge'' with a scale jet and like fenderbean said, i would rather watch a nice scale flyby any day over some crazy sport flying. The hobby is a passion for me since i was 10yrs old and i dont see it slowing down any time soon. I am one of those ''50ish'' guys you are referring to in your rc groups post.
I believe you are in this hobby to ''prove'' something or someone how good you are or can be. I have seen your ''type'' come and go in this hobby and if i was a betting man i would say you will be gone from the hobby in the near future, turbins or not. Most of us on this forun wake up thinking about our jets and go to sleep at nite thinking about which jet we would like to build and fly next. I dont see that in your personality so i believe you are '' looking for love in all the wrong places'' just my 2cents... btw, where is ''non USA??
Vin...
+1
Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM
FenderBean

Not sure what's really his point, but why would anyone pick something they don't enjoy because someone said it would be best for them when they have no clue what that person can handle. I suggest taking things people may say as opinion or advice and make your own decision. Im guessing your an adult so make up your own mind.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
essyou35

Ireally pulled this off topic, my apologies fender bean.

I can see you took offense to the 50-ish guy thing. I'll edit it but it wasnt meant as insulting. What Imeant is that I am younger than most of the guys in my area doing turbine and RC in general aside from park flyers and trainers. I am insenstive about age, something I am working on. I am34 and I catch some of itfrom 23 year olds. My apologies.

There's a specific reason I got into RC, and probably a mistake. let me just say it involved a near death experience and horrible tradgedy in my area that got me thinking "if Iever wanted to do it, I better do itNOW". I have and am still learning this is a poor way to think.

The blog post mentions that I cant get the same enjoyment I used to get out of it with park flyers, and I find myself buying bigger, faster better stuff to try to "recreate" the feeling. Hence the reason I got into turbines.

Not sure what you mean about "looking for love in all the wrong places". I'm not looking for love at all, personally I can tell you Idont fit in with most RC people in my area (not all)as I dont fit in for probably the very reasons you mentioned.I do this for myself, not companionship, not praise, not anything other than my own enjoyment and satisfaction. I think some of you guys get into the false belief you have to like me in order for me to do RC and/or turbines. I have to respectfully disagree.

In terms of proving something, you may be on to something there. I've realized I've missed the "point" of RC, which has alot to do with building and fellowship, neither of which I care much for. So if you are calling me an outsider, you hit it on the head. Itend to enjoy this hobby more as a challenge and learning new things, than sticking with the status quo. I like to see "if I can do it". That is correct and I am not sure why that is bad? If its the aspect I enjoy, I am entitled to that. But Iam not here to show off,I actually do not like an audience at all. Its onlysomethingIdo to myself. Icreatechallenges andtry do them.

I changed my location because sometimes I get into heated arguments online and I found out the local guys to me are watching so I dont want to imply they share my views because of the same location.

EDIT: I do want to clarify that even though I do enjoy the challenge aspect of this hobby, which maybe I created for only myself, Iam safe and I dont do stupid things. My challenges are mainly "can I build it" or "can I fly it". NOT "Can I fly 2 foot from that guy's head".

Mr. skydive,
I read your post on rc groups and i see you getting "bored" even with the turbine part of the hobby. I fly only scale jets and quite frankly am not interested at all in foamies, prop planes or even the most expensive sport jets. I have not owned a prop plane since 1983, it has been jets only since then. I like being on the "edge" with a scale jet and like fenderbean said, i would rather watch a nice scale flyby any day over some crazy sport flying. The hobby is a passion for me since i was 10yrs old and i dont see it slowing down any time soon. I am one of those "50ish" guys you are referring to in your rc groups post.
I believe you are in this hobby to "prove" something or someone how good you are or can be. I have seen your "type" come and go in this hobby and if i was a betting man i would say you will be gone from the hobby in the near future, turbins or not. Most of us on this forun wake up thinking about our jets and go to sleep at nite thinking about which jet we would like to build and fly next. I dont see that in your personality so i believe you are " looking for love in all the wrong places" just my 2cents... btw, where is "non USA??
Vin...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
essyou35

I did, I have the f-16 in hand.

Not sure what's really his point, but why would anyone pick something they don't enjoy because someone said it would be best for them when they have no clue what that person can handle. I suggest taking things people may say as opinion or advice and make your own decision. Im guessing your an adult so make up your own mind.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
FenderBean

okay cool deal, so what are you asking about? Im trying to help with your orig question. Did you get a productive answer?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
essyou35

Yes we're good. It just was pulled of topic a bit. Probably my fault.

okay cool deal, so what are you asking about? Im trying to help with your orig question. Did you get a productive answer?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:07 PM
FenderBean

Well folks I finally got around to starting the install on my Detail4Scale light system, the afterburner ring was installed during the build, I have yet to hook the control box up. Through the next week I will be posting a few pics and videos showing everything.
I will start with some hard to see pics due to poor lightening in my garage.
So far I have cut one inlet light and shaped it, I also cut the rudder top strobe and drilled the hole for the wire. The wire fits perfect between the hinge area of the rudder. I also cut out the light covers so the LEDs fit up inside the cap, small hole for the light itself and a nice square area for the circuit board. The video I make on Sunday evening will show all lights cut and ready to glue in. Im going out of town for the weekend or it would be ready tomorrow, Hope you enjoy it.

Before and after the cuts on inlet, also with the new light cover on. Once all the lights covers are installed I will take some matching gray paint and go around each cover cleaning it up and making it look nice a clean. Most light covers I have seen have seal/mount around the it holding it down so this should simulate that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66483.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1736556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37034.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1736557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83346.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1736558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67471.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1736559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25487.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1736560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95288.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1736561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46476.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1736562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84594.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1736563  

Click image for larger version

Name:	In26488.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1736564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54875.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1736565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52415.jpg
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	1736566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81901.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1736567  
Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Fender,

When will your first Top Gun appearance be?

I bet you can roll and figure 8 by now!
I'd go for the first time just to see you.

TC,

David
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM
FenderBean

Well I still need a good cockpit before im top gun material. Plus let me get 30 flights on it before you sign me up.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

....details
Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be the first FEJ at TG...
Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Wap4life
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking forward to the video.  I need to put lights on both the mig & f-14 i've be lazy.  I will work on the lights for the  f14 this weekend!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
dubd

Looking good! It should be illegal to fly that plane without a cockpit and pilot!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.