Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Maj. Woody's X-Treme Jets F-4C Phantom

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking good, Bob. You've also given me a few ideas on using my DJI Phantom to film some jet flights.

Where did you end up with your CG? I moved mine back to 255 mm. but haven't had a chance to fly it in that location yet.

Joe
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by joeflyer
Looking good, Bob. You've also given me a few ideas on using my DJI Phantom to film some jet flights.

Where did you end up with your CG? I moved mine back to 255 mm. but haven't had a chance to fly it in that location yet.

Joe
Joe,

I'm not sure where the CG ended up. I'll check that next time I put her together. I do know that I need a few clicks of down trim at the beginning of the flight and then a few clicks of up as the saddle tanks start to drain.

I also find myself flying with the left stick full forward most of the time - and the speed just about stays constant - no real increase on the down lines, it just motors around.

I've also found that the best takeoff technique is to go to full throttle and just steer and let it fly off when it wants too. The takeoff run is fairly long that way, but when it finally rotates on its own there is no more "struggling" into the air that sometimes occurred when I rotated it myself.

Bob
Old 04-29-2014, 06:01 PM
Omahajets
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Video!!!!!

I love your video. Great use of the quad.
Rich
Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Shamu

Hi Guy's,

do do you use your Flaps, and if so, do you mix elevator up or down with the Flaps?
i have build the F4 with twin EDF and want to fly her next week .

thanks
stephan
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by Shamu
Hi Guy's,

do do you use your Flaps, and if so, do you mix elevator up or down with the Flaps?
i have build the F4 with twin EDF and want to fly her next week .

thanks
stephan
Yes, I have takeoff and landing flap setting and I use them for both. I do not have any trims for the flaps as the model does not seem to need it.

Bob
Old 04-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Shamu

Thx Bob,

i post Video, after Maiden next week....

bye
Stephan
Old 11-29-2015, 07:54 AM
pandissix
My Feedback: (134)

F4 still going strong at Big Jolt.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqqe5194gI

Old 01-20-2016, 01:23 PM
jawelsh
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by MaJ. Woody
Congratulations on the first flights Joe!!
Where is your flight report for your jet? Was following this thread recently and then you quit updating. What happened to your F4 extreme?

John
Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
joeflyer

See posts 940 & 948.

I had an accident on take off #2. Due to a large runway crack I lost my steering and went into the rough. The plane is rebuilt and ready to go. I have very limited access to a long (airport) runway and have been waiting for an opportunity to get a few landings under my belt before attempting to fly it off the short runway at my home field.

Joe
Old 01-20-2016, 02:12 PM
jawelsh

Joe

Sorry I meant Maj Woody. He was the original thread starter. I never saw anything about him finishing and flying....

John
Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM
joeflyer

Woody had a couple of expensive accidents and got out of jets. As I recall he sold his X-treme F4 before flying it.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:32 PM
jawelsh

Woody had a couple of expensive accidents and got out of jets. As I recall he sold his X-treme F4 before flying it.
Thanks too bad. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:40 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone know what happened to my old F-4? I built it and sold it unflown to Ron in Buffalo. Wondering if he still has it, has flown it or sold it. Whoever has it, how does it fly?
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM
MaJ. Woody

I sure do love F-4's. Wish I still had this one.....I think.....depends how the small one flys.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:29 PM
rhklenke

I sure do love F-4's. Wish I still had this one.....I think.....depends how the small one flys.
Dom,

I have one and I love(ed) it! It flew awesome on a P-120SE. With a 140-sized engine that was the same weight as the 120, it would be *perfect*. I would fly mine around with the left stick pegged and it just went where you pointed it. You could horse it around in the turns and keep it really close actually.

Unfortunately, my P-120SE started loosing power on a flight at Virginia Jets a year ago and by the time I realized that it wasn't coming back up to thrust, I couldn't make the runway and it landed in the top of an 80' tree. I got it all back, eventually, and about 1/3 of it was salvageable. I liked it so much though that I ordered a new fuselage and wings and I'm rebuilding it. I should have it up and running next season.

Bob

ps - I think I saw yours or one exactly like yours, in the RCU classified a few months back...

pps - yep, here it is: http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=875413
the guy selling it was named Ron...

Last edited by rhklenke; 11-15-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 AM
MaJ. Woody

Thanks Bob.
Yes that is "MY" jet!!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:49 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default Extreme F-4

Thanks for the tips on the Skymaster accessories[sm=teeth_smile.gif] guys
Here is the fuse. Nice mild weathering to highlight the fuse detail. Again all graphics are painted. I am not sure that the white sections are as white as they should be to be true to scale, but I like it non the less.
My new project and now the build. I'm finding out quite a bit from Dirk and said you know a lot about the build of this jet. My first turbine after 45 plus years of all types of RC flying including DF, EDF, and giant scale. Landing gear is different from what I see on yours. The gear hits the door plywood and won't allow the gear to compress. Any thoughts about this build? KingTech 120 going in it.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just built 2 of these recently, a D and E. I do not agree with a lot of the negative that was said in this thread about the model, but there are a few changes that need to be done. I also flew both models, I have 9 flights total so far. One has a K100 and the E model has a K120.

Yes, you will need to pop off the strut gear doors and sand down the ply so you get full travel on the struts. I glued them back on with Hysol.

The D was ready to maiden, I was just starting on the E at the time of this picture. Both have since flown.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:55 PM
Tcoltpilot

Default Extreme F-4

Thanks for the input. I had to cut 1.5" off the intake for the fuel tanks to fit. The next thing is figuring out the rudder. Not to mention the tight fit for the elevator servos and the elevator slightly off center causing it to rub on the fuse. Great paint job though. Got the Warbird Pilots to fit into the cockpit with a shoe horn. LOL it's work but this is a hobby.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:57 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are on the right track, make sure to fit your turbine before you finalize the saddle tanks. Also make sure your hatch fits when you do set the tank location, mine was a tight fit.

For the rudder you can fit a standard size servo in the base of the vertical. The hardwood blocks were provided.

The aft block is up against the vertical spar. I have yet to round a spot into the block for the servo wire.

The stock tanks work great, depending on your throttle setting during the flight you can get 6 or 7 minutes on the saddle tanks. So the issue with the forward tank being the wrong shape early in this thread is not an issue. Sustained inverted flight should not be attempted after 7 minutes, because the forward tank cannot draw fuel inverted after about 1/3 of it's fuel is consumed. You must re position the hole in the saddle tanks to a more center location. I had some Kevlar in stock, so it was easy to cover the hole and move it.

This is a picture from earlier in the thread, I did not take a picture of mine.

I'm working on the paint now, I'm fixing many of the inaccuracies of the paint job. I think Skymaster uses the stencils from the 1/7 version on this smaller one. Here is what I did to the shark mouth, they painted the black nose cone on the wrong panel line, it's too large. Also the shark mouth looked like a big mouth bass.

I will do a full weathering job after my graphics show up, I'll be doing "The Wreckin Crew"

Got to keep the Mud Daubers out, so I ordered some intake covers from my local Phantom supplier!

Vacuum formed out of .015 polystyrene, they really look good when she is sitting on the ramp!

Last edited by dionysusbacchus; 03-29-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:18 AM
Tcoltpilot

Default In

Flew at the Selfridge ANG Base Air Show Centennial Celebration. Great day and perfect flight performance.
Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
You are on the right track, make sure to fit your turbine before you finalize the saddle tanks. Also make sure your hatch fits when you do set the tank location, mine was a tight fit.

For the rudder you can fit a standard size servo in the base of the vertical. The hardwood blocks were provided.

The aft block is up against the vertical spar. I have yet to round a spot into the block for the servo wire.

The stock tanks work great, depending on your throttle setting during the flight you can get 6 or 7 minutes on the saddle tanks. So the issue with the forward tank being the wrong shape early in this thread is not an issue. Sustained inverted flight should not be attempted after 7 minutes, because the forward tank cannot draw fuel inverted after about 1/3 of it's fuel is consumed. You must re position the hole in the saddle tanks to a more center location. I had some Kevlar in stock, so it was easy to cover the hole and move it.

This is a picture from earlier in the thread, I did not take a picture of mine.

I'm working on the paint now, I'm fixing many of the inaccuracies of the paint job. I think Skymaster uses the stencils from the 1/7 version on this smaller one. Here is what I did to the shark mouth, they painted the black nose cone on the wrong panel line, it's too large. Also the shark mouth looked like a big mouth bass.

I will do a full weathering job after my graphics show up, I'll be doing "The Wreckin Crew"

Got to keep the Mud Daubers out, so I ordered some intake covers from my local Phantom supplier!

Vacuum formed out of .015 polystyrene, they really look good when she is sitting on the ramp!
Intake covers look great. Would it be possible to get a couple for mine? Navy Retired Air Traffic Controller, I did work on T-2C Buckeyes first as a structural mechanic in airframes and hydraulics before the transition.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:55 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

It is nice to see interest in the Xtreme F4 Phantom. I am getting ready to purchase either this one or the Skymaster 1/7.75 F4. Working with Dirk as well. What is the fuel capacity on the Xtreme F4 Phantom? I was thinking about using K140G2 for the extra power. Does the 120 seem adequate for this jet?

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 03-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Tcoltpilot

Default Extreme F-4

From what I understand the KingTech 120 will be the best size for this jet with the extra umph at the top end for go arounds and vertical performance.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:36 AM
F16Jeff
My Feedback: (11)

Originally Posted by Tcoltpilot
From what I understand the KingTech 120 will be the best size for this jet with the extra umph at the top end for go arounds and vertical performance.
I had read some posts on another thread where a modeler was not overly satisfied with his 120 for power and should have opted for the 140. Another person put a Jets Munts 140 in his and liked the power provided for this jet. My concern would be flight times with a K140. Currently I have a sport jet T1 with K140G and love this plane size and power.

Maybe dionysusbacchus will chime in since he has one with K120 and another with 100.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM
rhklenke

I have a Jetcat P120 in mine (currently being repainted...) The P120 was definately NOT too much power for this plane, and if I had a 140 with decent fuel consumption and weight, I'd put it in it.

According to the specs, the K120 puts out the same power as the P120, but is a bit lighter. From the specs, the K140 would seem to be perfect for this airplane. Fuel consumption depends on power setting and with a P120, I'm at WOT almost all the time...

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.