Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Thanks ElectroDynamics, WOW, what an experience. Short story: There is another online battery guy. Has many comprehensive battery FAQs pages, sells A123, NiCd, NiMh. Problem is, he refuses to hand out his business number. Claims if he had to answer phones, he would never get work done. Says "read my FAQ page, its comprehensive". Agreed, its comprehensive, but 3 minutes of phone time and I would UNDERSTAND the concepts so much better. Just educate me enough so I can understand your product, and I will happily buy and then keep educating myself. But he refused phone contact and the emails became more frustrating over time.

But what about for the rest of us mere mortals who aren't the best at understanding batteries and just need 3 minutes of phone time? Too bad.

Well I used NiCd's on all my jets up until recently. Then guys in the know like Chad (SinCityJets) who converted to A123's a long time ago, and some of my friends locally, rightfully told me of the wonders of A123's. Cool, so I decided to switch to A123's. But I wasn't getting the difference in Old vs. New generation chargers, balance leads, universal cell taps, etc...so I went online to aforementioned guys website, ordered 10 A123's and sent some emails asking some basic questions.

I was close in understanding but not close enough and I just needed some phone guidance. After a few emails back and forth and him repeatedly referring me to his all-knowing FAQs page, I still didn't get it. My fault, I am battery-dumb. He emails me saying he has cancelled my $600 order, refunded my payment on Paypal and will refuse to sell to me until I "get it" since he doesn't want to be responsible for me crashing a jet. 'Not very nice' I thought. Would I ever do business with him again? No.

Enter ElectroDynamics. http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/index.shtml

I called them next day and spoke to Cathy. Very informative. Took 10 minutes, explained all. I "got it" now. Cathy put me in touch with their engineer. Get this: I sent them my Hitec X4 Charger, he custom made A123's for it. I even sent them a pair of "old generation A123's" with the Gen 1 Charger leads that used to be on them. They converted them all to work with my Hitec X4 Charger. Tested them all. Sent them back to me with step by step instructions on how to use, balance, charge with my specific charger. Then called to make sure I "get it". AND they were $5 cheaper per battery than the guy who wouldn't help me over the phone and cancelled my order with him.

ElectroDynamics service was AWESOME. Their products, top notch. I am fully converted to A123's, and actually understand what all the terms I mentioned above mean. I am floored. ElectroDynamics, thank you very much, you have a customer in me for life. I was so impressed, I ended up spending close to $1000 getting a whole bunch more of their products.

I know there are many options of purveyors out there guys, and I know most of them sell good stuff. But if you are like me and "battery-dumb" give ElectroDynamics a shot. Cathy is great, and their whole team is top notch and professional. And with so many vendors to choose from, why would I ever go back to somebody who thinks if I can't understand EVERYTHING written on their website, that I don't deserve to buy from them?

With so many vendors to choose from today in the RC world anymore, the people who are less jaded, less arrogant, and more interested in customer service are always going to get our business.

I thought at the least, this issue was worthy of a post on RCU.

Take care,
    Shaz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ElectroDynamics, best source for NEW A123 and other batteries

Exellent products and exellent service !!!!!!! A great place to shop for great products !!!!

Danno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I too converted to 123's from ElectroDynamics two weeks ago. I'm also sporting a brand new shiny Hitec X4 charger. Being a battery illiterate myself, their customer service got me on the right track in short order. I will do business with them in the future.
    Bob-O
    I Crashed All My Planes, Can I Fly Yours

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bcovish

I too converted to 123's from ElectroDynamics two weeks ago. I'm also sporting a brand new shiny Hitec X4 charger. Being a battery illiterate myself, their customer service got me on the right track in short order. I will do business with them in the future.
    Nice Bob! Join the battery illiterate fraternity of jet nerds who can get good service from less-snobby vendors! Now that I know what I am doing, I realize my Hitec X4 Charger rocks!

Shaz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Shaz for sharing your experience. It's always nice to get a new good address.

ORIGINAL: sskianpour
    I even sent them a pair of ''old generation A123's'' with the Gen 1 Charger leads that used to be on them.
    What are you referring to ? I am not aware of new generation A123. Are you talking about the new gen Eneloops?
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am referring to the leads, not the batteries Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

My experience with ED was one of the best I've had with a vendor since I've been in the hobby. I left a message with a question, they called back and followed up/followed through until the question was answered and the problem was solved. The products are top-notch and they're SMART!
    Yellow Aircraft, JetCat Engines and Turn Key Jets
    yellowaircraftplanesdotcom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

I am referring to the leads, not the batteries Oli.

Ok, thanks.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to add that I have been dealing with and buying from Andy and Cathy for a good ten years. Andy is unequaled in his knowledge of all thing R/C electronic. Also, you can not find nicer folks to deal with.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Woketman

I have to add that I have been dealing with and buying from Andy and Cathy for a good ten years. Andy is unequaled in his knowledge of all thing R/C electronic. Also, you can not find nicer folks to deal with.
    Ditto for me. Cathy knows me by name (although we've never met in person) and Andy shows up frequently at fly-in's. Custom orders (practicaly every order for me) is no problem. I wish more vendors were like them.

FYI, the CellPro/Revolectrix line of chargers are excellent for charging A123's and reasonably priced. I just picked up a second one from Andy at KY Jets.

Craig

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+1
    Edgar Perez
    Puerto Rico

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm looking forward to finally switching over and submitted an online order this weekend. I wonder if the 4600mAH pack is a bit much for my .60 Das Ugly Stick?

I need more cowbell.
    Don't be in a hurry to crash your plane son.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: olnico

What are you referring to ? I am not aware of new generation A123.
    Hi Olivier,

But yes, there is a new type of (rectangle) LiFe batteries on the market now (I took these photos at SingaHobby in Singapore in May) :

Nicolas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70682.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	1642793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr56142.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1642794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55768.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1642795  
    Memory Cards and Nano Turbines. The only two objects men like to brag about theirs is smaller.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Congrats Shazz!!! welcome to the A123 club. I have four cell pro4 chargers and have been doing biz with Andy for 20yrs. You will finally see what i have been talking about over the last several years. When someone says to me they used nicads because the jet needs nose weight...i say...A123 batts and LEAD is better!!!
    Vin...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have used them for years with great service also.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup, been drinking the kool-aid for a year now - heck, I even convert some lost souls from time to time!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I just converted to A123s right before Ky Jets. I thought about some of the chargers mentioned but decided to go with the ED charger. I knew I would see Andy at two or three jet rallies if I had any problems and he was there for any questions I had. Also talking on the phone was non problem.
    Mark P
    An Expert has made every mistake - A Master has made every mistake twice

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I also bought 4 A123 batteries, switches and tester from them.   Very very fast shipping
    Wap
    FEJ F14, Mig 29 & F15; Tam F16

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Shaz, glad to hear you finally made the conversion!!!! It's about time.

Have fun!

Chad

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Andy and the team at Electordynamics are second to none in service. Recommend there A123's , power backer system and HD Ultra switches. Awesome products.
    Good experiences with there gear. Cheers