Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Stinger v2 - quick bulid thread/manual

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Stinger v2 - quick bulid thread/manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stinger v2 - quick bulid thread/manual

Instal of major items now, the key to the turbine version is the fuel cell, this unit is custom made specifically for the Stinger, it is 810cc in capacity and fits right back between the intake ducting. The tank is a single moulding with an FR4 base plate to which the lower edge is bonded with Aeropoxy, this plate has a rear tab built into it and a front tab with fixing holes pre-drilled. The rear tab slots into the main wing tube former (slot can be seen in previous post) and the front fixing bolts locate into holes and blind nuts installed before the lite ply base plate is glued into place.

Infront of the tank is plenty of room for electronics and equipment so have made a small removal plate which houses the fuel pump and ECU along wit the controller for the electronic gear, doors and brake systems. This fixes with two small screws and can be removed easily to allow the tank to be slid forwards for service etc.

Servo cables all terminated with connectors, and will fit Rx and final electronics tonight, may also have the new turbine mounting rails to hand so the turbine and pipe can be fitted too.

marcs

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77208.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	1652891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86420.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1652892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34037.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1652893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51122.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1652894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58112.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	1652895  
Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Landing gear looks superb
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Marc

No built in UAT? Not that the P20 needs it with a pleated paper filter.

Mike
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 AM
marc s

Mike,

The process to instal a PPF into the fuel cell is a very time consuming process, now I have made the 'nano' CAT specifically for the P20 and other small turbines I will run one of these in conjunction to the main tank, it will sit just nicely on top of the tank and under the spine section of the fuselage - it also adds another 80-90cc so will make for an easy 8-9 mins fight time on a heavy throttle setting.....

The Stinger also has the added advantage of being more roomy than the Habu

marcs
Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Duncan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it going to be ready to fly this weekend Marc??? See you on Saturday
Old 08-25-2011, 05:13 AM
marc s

Is it going to be ready to fly this weekend Marc???
Duncan, no although the turbine version should be almost ready, Ali will do the testing over the next few weeks just to make sure nothing happens should something decide to not play ball ;-)
I will bring both the P20 and EDF Stingers along to chat over vinyl options though, so bring your measuring tools and a paper pad

Progress has now sorted the turbine and pipe installation, had some FR4 adaptor rails made to suit the P20 as the rails pre-fitted in the Stinger allow for a 90mm EDF fan. These (with a few tweaks) will be included in the 'turbine' conversion pack. The 'turbine' conversion will include the fuel cell and base plate ready to slot in, CAT (UAT device), pipe, bellmouth, mounting straps, rear former and ali support for pipe and FR4 rail conversions all with the hardware to fit.

The pipe took a little working out to get it to line up nicely but eventually came up with a simplish method using two ali flats screwed to the side of the pipe using the same fixings that secure the bell mouth to the main pipe, these were bent to shape to allow the unit to screw to the rear former sides with two servo type socket screws.

Heat shield in the form of foil in the main engine bay, and a few coats of BVM headshield along the back sections.

Hope to get the rest of the equipment wired in tonight and then a check over. EDF next but this should be easier as the planning has been done once now

Whilst getting the FR4 rails cut last night on the cnc, designed a cradle for the Sv2 which can be 'stacked' so now I can get both Sv2's in the back of the car hassle free........

marcs

Name:	Sp45166.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	1653308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59417.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	1653309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49643.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1653310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33483.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	1653311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs95775.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	1653312  
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Mark

It looks very nice indeed and a super neat and tidy installation. I do however think your work bench and workshop needs a tidy up it is looking a real mess..... Come on standards

Dennis
Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 AM
marc s

Yep the workshop is a sh-thole right now - stuff everywhere - trying to make CAT's for Jetpower as well as Habu kits but failing miserably []
No chance of getting a Mibo A10 in here for a build right now....

marcs

Name:	Wu59799.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	1653316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37227.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	1653317  
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: marc s

Yep the workshop is a sh-thole right now - stuff everywhere - trying to make CAT's for Jetpower as well as Habu kits but failing miserably []
No chance of getting a Mibo A10 in here for a build right now....

marcs

Here is neat and tidy... I am doing some minor repairs.............. Dripped kero over the wifes new carpet............ Now in the doghouse. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the plane in the flesh

Dennis

Name:	Db85320.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1653318  
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM
marc s

The EDF version is now nearing completion, found and worked out a mounting plate system for the 130A MGM Compro ESC which sits it in between the grilled vents either side of the spine just rearwards of the canopy area, managed to get the canopy release in too without any interference.

Currently 12s 4000mAh packs fit easily into the space provided and remain below the canopy break line so nothing intrudes into the cockpit area. We plan a simple vac formed cockpit set but due to time this will have to wait till after Jetpower.

Terminating the servo leads back to the Rx is the next job, then will assemble and see where the main packs need to go to get the correct CofG, still need to add an Rx pack, probably a 1000mAh Lipo, bigger if nose weight is needed. Gear and brakes are running of a 2s 750mAh which should be good for over 30 cycles and braking runs.

Made a slightly lower fuel tank for the P20 version, now a 750cc unit but the space above this allows for a nano CAT (UAT) of 90cc to fit which provides the additional security.

Logo on the side of chassis 0001, vinyl and graphics being cut tomorrow.

marcs

Name:	Ki18278.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	1656160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80231.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	1656161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17721.jpg
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1656162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67630.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	1656163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19710.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	1656164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs12774.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	1656165  
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Rich_C

Quick video of the Stinger electric retracts, The retract controller handles all of the retract control and sequencing of the doors and is totally configurable to operate a fully ectric retract system and servo operated doors, I'll post more about it in the morning,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toj28...e_gdata_player

Rich.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:44 PM
siclick33

Rich,

Would it be possible to make a wheel/brake/controller set to fit the wire legs of the e-flite retracts in the Habu? I know it doesn't need it but I'm thinking of taking one to Florida jets and legally need brakes.

Otherwise I might have to buy a Stinger to take with me[X(]

Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Now that's nice to see gear not slamming up and down. Although I'd speed it up a little - the flight batteries will be flat by the time you've raised and lowered the gear
Old 09-02-2011, 01:54 AM
marc s

Cheeky

Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What a nice and well designed piece of kit Marc. Very much to your quality standard. Can't wat to see it in person at JP...
Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
siclick33

Marc,

Do you have any idea of the approximate ballpark cost of complete 'turbine ready' packages yet? Looking at your website, the airframe cost is quite reasonable but I'm wondering what it will actually cost to get in the air when you add a turbine installation kit and the fancy gear and controller package.

I see from your picture that you have sanded the seam and sprayed it. What state will the production kits come in? Will the seams be ok as they are or will the model need to be sprayed? Will there be base colour options or just white?

I liked this model when it was first shown and it's growing on me the more I see it
Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM
marc s

The P20 powered Stinger was ready for the weekend, and with a chance to meet up with Ali for a maiden and testing I set off for the North on a dry Sunday, 126 miles to destination.
Well 120 were dry and fine, the last 6 were another matter all together - rain like you have never seen before [>:] We all sat on the runway for an hour and a half until the rain finally stopped, after 15 mins or so the Stinger was prepped and ready to go.

All went well in the capable hands of the pro, the weather as you can see in the video (shot on an SLR so no zooming in sorry) was very manacing but it was dry for long enough to get two clean flights on the new v2 Stinger.

Here is the vid in two sections, taken on the second flight.

Ali I am sure will add some comments about the flying and handling etc, next outing should be at Jetpower in a few weeks time...... (just the EDF to maiden now - lets hope the weekend is kind!)

marcs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seiEES_oedg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xa05Vv_aCc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]
Old 09-05-2011, 10:55 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Marc

She certainly looks like she flys very well indeed. and good duration on the tank. landing looked a little fast would be my only non positive comment but perhaps that was the conditions and the plane was quite near to the camera at that point

Very well done

Dennis
Old 09-05-2011, 11:03 PM
marc s

Dennis, I think Ali will comment on the landing, but there was a nasty cross wind blowing at the time so I suspect it was more as a result of safety considering the pressure was on not to trash this demo model

marcs
Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Superb Marc! how did the retracts and brakes perform? Ali seemed happy with it early on, gave it a good work out and does look to have a broad speed range. In the first video just as the model was taken off the stand, there was a Vampire in the background by the cars, is this a P20 model? a current kit . . . HT/Jetarrows? or a future GBR introduction?
Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Marc, that is an awesome little jet! Congrats on getting it to where it now is!!!!

M
Old 09-06-2011, 04:31 AM
marc s

Mark , Jamie appreciate the comments as I am sure does Rich too who has had a few more years sweating on this jet than me, but its one huge amount of time and effort that now seems to be finally paying back rewards.

If flies really well, even though my own flying is far from pro level, it looks like its something most pilots would have ease in flying, I hope so coz that one up ther in the video is mine

Gear was fine Jamie, brakes were not fitted, being finished off over the next few days but I know they will be fine to. speak to Ali on he Vamp - not one of 'ours'

marcs
Old 09-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Geoff White

Just watched the vids Marc. It looks brilliant and performance is great.

Geoff.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this one, but its been manic round here recently.
I have been lucky enough to log a number of flights on the original turbine Stinger. I even took it to Florida jets at the start of the year. Now whilst I really enjoyed flying it, and said at the time that it was probably the best P20 model that I was flying, I just couldn't help and think there was something missing. I thought long and hard, and when Marc came to me and asked if there were any changes that I could suggest. I only had one.... and that was to make it bigger. Not much! Such a little. I was really hoping to try and expand the Stinger so it could get away from this small model type feeling that it had. I dont know how to put my finger on it, but models such as the original stinger, or the Habu 32 just have that small model feel/ feedback through the sticks. Its almost as if the wing loading is too high.. yet both models would behave well and not be super aggressive around the stall. I was hoping to get a more solid and locked in feel to the improved stinger, whilst maybe being a little lighter loaded.
Marc and I bounced ideas back and forth and eventually a figure of 5% was settled on. We didnt want to grow it loads and move away from the fast, precise sport jet style of flight, but just enough to make a difference. No mean feat when you consider this meant a entirely new set of moulds would need to be made. I have to admit to being a bit nervous that this might not make any difference, after all that work [X(]
The good news is that it has, and its made lots of difference. Right from the get go, I knew the new Stinger was spot on. It feels loads more locked in. Especially on the ailerons. It tracks better, less fidget ( Even in the less than calm 80 deg cross wind) Slow speed flight was now even better and more predictable. The Stinger now bleeds speed so much quicker than before. The only down side if any, is that I dont seem to remember it needing as much knife edge mixing... although I could be wrong and would need to look at the old radio set up to be sure.
All in all, a huge success in my opinion. I am delighted with how this project has evolved, and get a feeling that a Stinger Mk2 might be finding its way into my fleet next year ( Although mine is going to have a tad more power )
Nice one Marc, and anytime you need it airing, you know where I am!
Regards Al
Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 AM
marc s

Hope to have some info and maybe some video of the EDF Stinger today subject to the weather holding long enough for Ali to test fly this morning.

Here is the 95% completed EDF chassis, a few vinyl adjustments which will be done during the week and its hopefully ready for Jetpower....

marcs

Name:	Fc90259.jpg
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	1660499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54370.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	1660500  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.