Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

B-2 Bomber 15 ft wing span

Just a little teaser video of a project I am working on...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR4ReWZITVo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: B-2 Bomber 15 ft wing span

Wow! And as B1-bob would say....."oooohh dogie".

Without asking many questions (but I really want to) how much time (roughly) have you spent designing this? Will it require electronics to augment flight stability?

Does the photos show present progress or is it much closer to flight test?

Kind regards

Andrew

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gonna be good. keep us informed.
    Scratch it till it bleeds Convert it till it chokes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Quote" Without asking many questions (but I really want to) how much time (roughly) have you spent designing this? Will it require electronics to augment flight stability?

Does the photos show present progress or is it much closer to flight test? "Quote"

This project is a month old and a lot of new techniques are going into the build I am engineering
    and designing as I go, which takes most of the time. I am expecting to use gyros on certain
    controls. The top parts are complete I will start working on the bottom of the B-2 and then some of the internal structure.

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome! i'll keep an eye on the thread. I've always wanted to build a B-2, matter of fact, i've got some templates pictures and some drawings from the late ivan munninghoff's B-2 bomber.
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very nice, and what tool is over the plug at 0:36?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Awesome! i'll keep an eye on the thread. I've always wanted to build a B-2, matter of fact, i've got some templates pictures and some drawings from the late ivan munninghoff's B-2 bomber.
    Hi Thomas,

This is the first I have heard of Ivan and his B2. Do you know whether Ivan's model was a successful flyer? What happened to this model (kept by family?) Does any video or flight photos exist that you can share?

I found another thread started by BJay in 2009 (B for Bernd) but original post has been deleted and no further posts occurred? Any news on what happened?

It goes without saying that these flying wings require careful design and accurate manufacture to make them work well......

Best regards
    Andrew

I have the late Ivan's B-2 in my basement and it's looking for a new home. I had planed on "turbinizing" it but have to many other projects going on. One wing is broken from the test flight at Arizona Jet Rally but repairable.
    Dean,
    A10FLYR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

I have the late Ivan's B-2 in my basement and it's looking for a new home. I had planed on ''turbinizing'' it but have to many other projects going on. One wing is broken from the test flight at Arizona Jet Rally but repairable.
    So your the guy who has it! I've been trying to find that thing for years to re-surrect it. Matter of fact, I was speaking with Ivan before his passing about what he had plans to do with it, at that time, he was planning to rebuild it. I asked him to keep my info in-case he changed his plans as i would like to have it.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Doctor jet

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Hi Thomas,

This is the first I have heard of Ivan and his B2. Do you know whether Ivan's model was a successful flyer? What happened to this model (kept by family?) Does any video or flight photos exist that you can share?

I found another thread started by BJay in 2009 (B for Bernd) but original post has been deleted and no further posts occurred? Any news on what happened?

It goes without saying that these flying wings require careful design and accurate manufacture to make them work well......

Best regards
    Andrew
    Andrew,
    From what i can remember, Ivan had the control surfaces just like the full-scale w/ split ailerons at the tip for rudder control. I believe it flew a few times (successfully) and then during one take-off it had a pre-mature liftoff and during its touch-down with terra firma, it snapped one of the wing panels, and that is where the project was left.

wingspan was around 130" or so, and was made entirely from foam and then fiberglassed. He did an excellent job on the model and it deserves to be brought back to life.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Quote" Very nice, and what tool is over the plug at 0:36? "Quote"

It is a contour shaping tool made by Trick-Tools.com.
    I used it to make the templates and cross sections from
    the original plug. they have a couple of sizes...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw69041.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	1645701  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you going to make plugs or is this a one off?
    Thanks, Jason
    I love it when my airplane is on fire...as long as the fire stays inside the engine!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

P. Richards,

Looks good. Are you using foam core board for your formers with the same for the skin or are you using G-10?
    130" will be a decent size. What are your parting points for transport? Power is EDF or turbine?
    Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

P. Richards,

Looks good. Are you using foam core board for your formers with the same for the skin or are you using G-10?
    130'' will be a decent size. What are your parting points for transport? Power is EDF or turbine?
    This one will be foam core with a carbon fibre laminate for the areas that need it. I purchased that covering liquid from WoW planes
    that turns the foam cover into a glass like finish I will test it and see if Im getting the desired results.
    I plan on splitting the fuse right down the middle and each wing at the bend for transport for a total
    of six pieces. I will make a custom travel box. The first one will be electric powered. If the test flights are
    successful then I might try a turbine version. I have a Jet Cat P-80 and a Jet Cat P-120.
    Slopping resin is not my idea of fun so I may contract the mold making part out once
    I finish the wings. Im not trying to get into making kits too much labor and time...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P. Richards

''Quote'' Very nice, and what tool is over the plug at 0:36? ''Quote''

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

It's a very old tool that borned many many years ago in the ship industry to draw 1:1 models and shapes. Today it's mostly replaced by the "spline" tool on CAD systems...
    Exocet Engineering & Design; Maranello (ITA).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P. Richards, I purchased that covering liquid from WoW planes that turns the foam cover into a glass like
    finish I will test it and see if Im getting the desired results. I plan on splitting the fuse right down the middle and each wing at the bend for
    transport for a total of six pieces. The first one will be electric powered. If the test flights are successful then I might try a turbine version.
    P. Richards aka SwatTeam
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sSU9r-mbk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I have not used the plasticizer, however under normal conditions without something like fiber glass beneath these you will suffer stress cracks
    at an alarming rate. This would be like using a gel coat then not backing it up with fiber glass. Its smooth, but has little structural purpose. If
    used on non-load areas I suspect it would provide a smooth finish. I don't know what it will do on the cardboard exterior of the foam-core board.

Did you do a master template set in CAD? In the future, I and a friend plan to make changes to Chris Gold's design. It flew with excellent results.
    The size being considered is 130" w/s with three parting points. We have a CAD conversion of Chris' with which to edit. Material will probably be
    a combination of milled high density Styrene with balsa/basswood/lite-ply laminated with carbon fiber vail in high stress areas.

The reason I asked about the template set is it is what you should consider selling instead of kits. Selling a CD or DVD with the templates plus
    perhaps what you are recommending for a spar network is all that anyone needs.

From what I have learned on my B-47 project you should have plenty of power from a pair of electric powered Dynamax. Unless you commit to
    a fiber glass center span across from nacelle to nacelle I don't see turbine power being possible. The gross weight would be another concern with
    turbines.

Looking forward to seeing more...

Ed Clayman,
    FliteMetal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dean,
    Still planning on coming down to pick up the B-2. It has been a crazy summer
    Take Care
    Take Care
    Marty

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: P. Richards

''Quote'' Very nice, and what tool is over the plug at 0:36? ''Quote''

P. Richards aka SwatTeam

I thought it was something like that, but wondered if it has a sanding strip too. Thx P.Richards and Guille.

Also interesting this liquid sheeting, worth trying it with FG one day of this.

Enrique

ORIGINAL: Marty Snell

Dean,
    Take Care
    Thomas, invertmast, has asked for it as well. You were first. Makes no diff to me who gets it
    Dean,
    A10FLYR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doesnt matter to me either. Id love to have it tto save me all the work, but if he is able to get to it first, no worries.
    Thomas W.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you should really do a kit i would be interested poss looks great for an electric version

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Marty Snell

Dean,
    Take Care
    Yo Marty, Any word on the Banshee ??
    Semper Fi
    Joe
    Look towards the Horizon......your death awaits you there So Enjoy today ,,,,,,

Two Major scratch builds going on in Vegas at the same time....sweet!
    Dave Bottita
    evoJet Factory Pilot
    Smart-Fly

I have never heard of liquid covering before, it sure is interesting product to have but as ED said, not sure what structural strength will it have after its fully cured without use of fiberglass cloth. I suppose where you need structural strength, use resin and fiberglass and use this stuff on other non structural strength needed areas of the airplane. Is there anyone else then WoW planes who carry this product, would like to get it and do some experiments with it.

Great B-2 build going on here Richard, as there seems to be interest in this sort of model, i would suggest if you can make moulds of it to make the kits for guys wanting it, it will be worth the effort. 130" is a sweet size and if it's kept light enough, EDF will all be needed to fly her at 2/3rd the cost of turbine engines....
    I do believe in KISS (Keep it simple silly), but doesn\'\'t mean my models fall in this category!
    CUB BROTHERHOOD# 173

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Exocet Engineering & Design; Maranello (ITA).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast