Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Large Skymaster F4 info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Large Skymaster F4 info

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Large Skymaster F4 info

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some feedback form guys who have built/flown the large skymaster F4. I could not really find any detailed build threads (maybe I missed something?)

Issues with the kit? Ground handling? Flight characteristics?

Does this one have the extendable noseleg?

Thanks for you input.

Craig.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Large Skymaster F4 info

Craig

Dubd has one that he really enjoys. It maybe worth a PM to him

Dave
Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an extensive thread on RCU about the SM F-4. It's a pleasure to fly. Ground handling is fantastic given the wide stance of the gear. The nose gear doesn't extend, but Matrix makes an extendable version.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:53 PM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Craig,

This is the thread that Dubd referred to http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31..._1/key_/tm.htm This is the third season for mine and, once debugged and properly CGed, this is one of the best flying jets that I've ever had. CG is definitely at 300-305mm....no bad characteristics at this CG. I have the Matrix extendable nose strut and it works great.

Mike
Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks! That's what I was after! I shall start reading and check out the matrix nose gear...sounds cool.

Craig.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

On the Matrix nose gear I understand you extend it with air but don't retract it. When you land it collapses. So my question is does the gear fit in the wheel well fully extended? I'm not clear on how this gear works.
Does anyone have photos to share?

I have a new kit and I'm looking at retract options. I'm making it a Navy version J model and I'd like to use the Matrix gear.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

On the Matrix nose gear I understand you extend it with air but don't retract it. When you land it collapses. So my question is does the gear fit in the wheel well fully extended? I'm not clear on how this gear works.
Does anyone have photos to share?

I have a new kit and I'm looking at retract options. I'm making it a Navy version J model and I'd like to use the Matrix gear.

Thanks!

Chris,

The Matrix gear will only fit into the wheel well when extended. When compressed, the scissors link will not clear the left side of the wheel well opening.

As you've mentioned, the strut extends by air and when the gear is retracted and in the wheel well, the strut remains extended. It will not retract without a load upon it so you won't have to worry about it retracting while in the air. Upon landing, the air is exhausted through your one-way valve and helps cushion the landing. There is also a spring inside the strut which absorbs the majority of the landing load.

I use a button valve which is activated by a servo but you can also use an electronic one way valve. My 14MZ is programmed to activate the nose strut when the flaps are in the take off position only and when the throttle is at half position.

John at Matrix is a stand up guy and makes quality products. Great choice for your nose strut!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to set mine up yet, Mike has sent me some setup info I will go with that

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79131.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	1658542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87096.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	1658543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56157.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1658544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49040.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1658545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24054.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	1658546  
Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Mi-25

Hi jaxed,
is that CG 300-305mm measured with empty fuel tanks (possibly hopper tank full?) and gear UP or DOWN?
Thanks,
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Mi-25

Hi f106jax,
I miswrote your name on that previous email about the CG (jaxed - sorry!). What UP and DOWN travel are you using on your ELEVATOR please (measured at the leading edge?)
Again,
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The F-4 has all the features an RC jet needs. Wide gear, dual nose tires, large tires all round, turned up wing tips for more clearance, intakes on the side incase you ever belly it won't scoop up the yard and a tall stance if you need to operate from grass. The fuse also offers lots of room so fuel capacity is not a factor. The SM F-4 is faster than the JL due to the wing thickness. Both are very good airplanes. With the sharp sweep they move around a bit in gusty conditions but the airplanes are a pleasure to fly and for some reason very comfortable down low. We operate from a 400' strip and have no trouble getting in and out with runway left over.