Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you ship your airplane overseas

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you ship your airplane overseas

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 AM
alfplaza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you ship your airplane overseas

Hi all,

I created this new post to see some ideas on how to make a custom crate to ship my airplane overseas, i would like to see how other have built their crates so i can optmize space. I have a 1/5 F-86 and the size i am estimating for the crate would be 90x40x30, but it seems extreemly big and wont be easy to carry in a pickup truck....

Any ideas?

Thks.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: How do you ship your airplane overseas

Hola Alf,

Mine is 155 x 70 x 45 and weights 30 kg with the airplane.. as long it fits the airport checkin you should be ok. I didn´t payed excess luggage weight because I have a credit card with some benefits for the air travel company I use to fly.

Did it in aluminum and policarbonate plastic, it has wheels and turns into a field table. The idea is to airport workers can see what´s inside and also taking more care of it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48683.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1661660   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40877.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1661661  
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
sieze2

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Hola Alf,

Mine is 155 x 70 x 45 and weights 30 kg with the airplane.. as long it fits the airport checkin you should be ok. I didn´t payed excess luggage weight because I have a credit card with some benefits for the air travel company I use to fly.

Did it in aluminum and policarbonate plastic, it has wheels and turns into a field table. The idea is to airport workers can see what´s inside and also taking more care of it.

That is seriously impressive! Good job! I love the fact the luggage people can see what is inside, and see it is fragile.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
erbroens

This was a genial invention of a friend of mine.. only drawback with it so far was scaring a couple of NY tourists at Manaus that thought that I was traveling with a missile ..

Also the luggage people like to see the plane, ask a lot of questions, ask where to buy a r/c plane etc... it turns traveling with a big box a pleasant experience.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
alfplaza

WOW i am impressed, very good job!!! I was planning to build one of wood, to prevent other people from seeing the airplane (to avoid stealing it). Unfortunatelly the crate i need to build is much more larger, i am worried that i wont even be able to fit it into a pickup truck...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 AM
erbroens

I have the same problem with the large Viperjet, and a box with the full fuselage length is not feasible. Don´t know if possible in the F-86 but I am modifing mine for breaking the fuse in two for transport.

And about the NY couple who asked if my plane was a missile I didn´t told that the guy with them took another flight.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94137.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1662250  
Old 09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
alfplaza

Yes i was thinking to modify the fuselage to split it in two, thats the way it comes unassembled, for the big box, i would need to pay almost 1500usd just to ship it without insurance.. half the price of what the airplane costs. Another way might be to have two boxes one for airfame and one for wings, should be a little bit cheaper to transport.