Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

really cool Documentary

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

really cool Documentary

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
AnthonyW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default really cool Documentary

I just watched a really cool video called "One Six Right" about the history of Van Nuys Airport and the history of General Aviation. If you are, have ever been or want to be a private pilot, this is a must watch. I could only wish to one day fly my own plane in and out of 16R
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: really cool Documentary

I found the full movie on Youtube, watching it now,

Thanks for the share......
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up in SoCal, and I got my private out of Chino airport. I don't think I ever had a reason to fly into Van Nuys... but I know there is a street going under one of the run ways.

I guess I'll have to go find the video.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr. Honda.

Here you go.....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/118168/one-six-right

it's full lenght with minimul commercials.

Mark
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

16R is a great little piece about General Aviation and Van Nuys. I saw one trailer about it and didn't even finish it before I already bought the DVD a few years ago. The secret is - all of General Aviation is just as much fun, just as challenging and rewarding, with just as many old stories and new ones to be made. If you ever had the inkling to do it - by all means, just do it. You will not regret slipping into the skies yourself. It's a dream that will make you young at heart again. And if you can share it with a young person, their life will never be the same. Our glider club has a very generous, locally supported program that trains and finally solos 15 year old ROTC cadets from one of the local high schools. What do you think someone's self confidence and motivation does when you train them over time and then put them (a 15 year old) in the cockpit of an aeronautical machine that they have to fly formation behind another in an aero-tow situation, make hundreds of informed decisions and then bring the craft (with their own hide in and it's all up to them) safely back to earth? Bam - talk about a huge infusion of success for them to draw from for years to come. I wish I has that opportunity as a 15 year old, but since I didn't I made other opportunities and the enthusiasm was noticed and generously helped along the way.

If you want to train in an environment that the old guys are talking about though in 16R, go somewhere not as busy. Airports that today more accurately reflect what Van Nuys was in the golden days would be the little country fields and less used aux airports. At these places, the prices are lower, the traffic is light, and the instructors are less likely to be looking over their shoulder for the next "gig". So in other words, learn to fly in a nice little slow poke field and let the dream soar without the traffic, radio chatter and expense of sitting in line for a takeoff where at the slow poke field you'd have already gotten in three landings.