Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Stand alone brake systems?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Stand alone brake systems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stand alone brake systems?

In the final throws of testing we are finalising a totally electronic proportional brake system which will work on most gear sets without the need for any air system, just a small 2s lipo 350-500mah and a 30mm square control module which weighs almost nothing.

In addition to the proportional option there is also APB - automatic pulsed brake which as its name suggests pulses the brake to give an alternative braking method. Strength of brake are user programmable.

It's not yet available but we hope to have it done in a few months time, each gear system will require a custom brake unit to be made but over time we will accumulate a standard range - two tiny thin wires is all that runs to the gear leg..........

marcs
Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you talk about electric brakes. I made a set of electric brakes using an DC ESC as the proportional control. But, since this was going into my first jet... I figured that I would be better off making up a set of air powered, "O-ring" brakes.

Since we have to be certified to fly turbines in the USA... I didn't want anything strange, or out of the ordinary in my jet.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Harley Condra

I had Kavan electric brakes on a Kwik Fly in 1969.
One tiny wire to the brake unit......
Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Col Winter,
Just a FYI, Darrell's system IS an ultra precision UP6 Valve with his disc brakes (which do work very well).

Cant ever go wrong with a UP6, best valve on the market AFAIK

Old 10-07-2011, 04:56 AM
jetster81

Marc, do you know when you may have some sets ready and do you need special wheels for this setup?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 AM
marc s

No special wheels just the hub area needs to be able to accommodate the brake and disc system. Regards timing we have the electronic controller already working and the brakes will be fitted to our Stinger jet which Ali will take to the USA in November, we are happy to look at
customers 'gear' with a view to make versions to suit various wheels etc so please PM me to chat more if required.

marcs
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

welp I am going with a UP-6 valve if you have not seen my diagrams already. Thanks again KC for the money saver and a more simple way to get the job done!
FenderBean, where can one find that diagram?

Thanks up front,
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beavis

welp I am going with a UP-6 valve if you have not seen my diagrams already. Thanks again KC for the money saver and a more simple way to get the job done!
FenderBean, where can one find that diagram?

Thanks up front,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22144.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1687993  
Old 11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
FenderBean

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...17/key_/tm.htm

beavis the above link has my orig diagrams for my full air setup before I converted to electric gear, but the canopy/gear doors/brakes are still accurate
Old 11-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

FenderBean,

Thank you very much. On the brakes, do you find it to be critical to have the lines downstream of the final T, going to each of the wheels, to be exactly of the same length?

Thank you again,
Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Harley Condra

ORIGINAL: John Redman

I still wonder why we ever left the cylinder system the BVM team brought to life back in the mid - late 90's. I am actually putting one of these older simple systems in my son's DV8R now. Always worked, never failed unless the radio quit. No air system required. Dave I know you had to of used a couple back in the day.

The only down fall was teh size to install in the aircraft. Not big but not small.
We are bringing out this system in a few days.
The parts are made, instructions written, and it's just about ready for the market.
It will be announced and shown on the BVM Jets website in a few days.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
FenderBean

I put my t back as far as possible since it is much easier to run one line. I made each line to the brakes the same.
ORIGINAL: Beavis

FenderBean,

Thank you very much. On the brakes, do you find it to be critical to have the lines downstream of the final T, going to each of the wheels, to be exactly of the same length?

Thank you again,
Old 11-18-2011, 03:22 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Chuck then you are the exception on getting service from Darrel. BV's setup in the E-Bandit is what I'll be using from now on if space allows. Like John said simple and proven.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Great news Harley. Never had a product from BVM or trying to get a service answer that I was unhappy with the process or reply. Can't say that about many other manufactures.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The best comination have I have used is the Disc Brake from Sierra Giant Scale in combination with the UPC-6 proportional Valve. This combination proudces reliable and repeatable braking with virtually no maint. and near instantanious brake release which is a feature most other brake systems cannot deliver in particular the O-ring types.

I have this system on all my aircraft and I'm very pleased with them and would have no other.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, I thought you had been here with the dinosaurs and us. Problem is you are a wealth of information and always helpful, so that might have thrown me off.

Anyways imagine a standard 1/2'' or 5/8'' diameter air cyclinder that BV used to use for his carbon retracts. Remove the nipple from teh end where the plunger comes out. Hook a servo up to the plunger and move the plunger. Take the air generated in the cylinder and direct it to the brakes. Very proportional and always worked. Hard to fully lock up a brake also.
Was it a closed system? Are you using the cylinder like a master cylinder, but with air instead of fluid?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 PM
sidgates

JeffH,
I have the BVM Air Cylinder system. The system consists of a servo pushing an air cylinder which is hooked to the air operated brakes. I bought it several years ago and did not use it at that time.
I am trying it again and find that a 100in/oz servo is not enough to provide braking action. I have ordered a 300in/oz servo and will try it when the new servo arrives.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Harley Condra

A JR 8411 does the job.
That is what we recommend.....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it is a type of master cylinder/wheel cylinder(o-ring in this case) set up. If for some reason some air escapes from around the braking o-ring, does that now create a sort of vacuum since there is less air in the system now? If so, this problem is easily overcome with a check valve on a tee so that is sucks air in everytime the cylinder retracts.
Of course I could be totally wrong with how I am envisioning this system in my head.
Sounds great, no air tanks needed!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

I still wonder why we ever left the cylinder system the BVM team brought to life back in the mid - late 90's. I am actually putting one of these older simple systems in my son's DV8R now. Always worked, never failed unless the radio quit. No air system required. Dave I know you had to of used a couple back in the day.

The only down fall was teh size to install in the aircraft. Not big but not small.
We are bringing out this system in a few days.
The parts are made, instructions written, and it's just about ready for the market.
It will be announced and shown on the BVM Jets website in a few days.
When I talked to BV this morning about the aileron issue on the F-86 I'm buiding he described the completely airless set up of the retracts, brakes, and gear doors. It sounded like a well thought out, viable option for the Electra, smaller F-86/Fury, and Bandit.

Kirk
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
sidgates

Jeff,
When my air cylinder is completely retracted (brake off) the pressure side of the cylinder appears to vent to atmosphere.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:53 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, can someone tell me why a BVM Smooth Stop 2 installed in a Futura or Havoc starts to have a problem releasing the air after braking, the valve is not leaking, it is just to hard for the small servo to release the pressure, causing the brakes to lock up, putting a lot of strain on the servo. I also noticed that some times with the rx turned off, and full of air, the valve would creep on.
Rcpete
PS, I have a BVM Smooth Stop in everyone of my jets and have been flawless.

Last edited by rcpete347; 07-22-2019 at 04:07 PM.