Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What the jet community is all about

In light of the "Not good for RC" thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What the jet community is all about

One big "ATTA boy" for Ron. Put another star in your crown.
    Bob-O
    I Crashed All My Planes, Can I Fly Yours

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Ron. That is the real spirit of this hobby.
    The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have told my wife many times. It's not the airplanes....its the people who fly them that make this insane hobby fun!
    Tom Perry
    In Dog beers, I only had one!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very true, I can have just as much fun sitting around hanging with gang and joking around. I have said that for years, the social part is the most fun, second is building and third is flying. Because of my job I have had the luxury of flying in clubs all over the world.
    ORIGINAL: tp777fo

I have told my wife many times. It's not the airplanes....its the people who fly them that make this insane hobby fun!
    Contest Director AMA # 8394
    Avanti XXL, Skymaster F-14
    FEJ F-15, FEJ F-14
    46% Ultimate Bi-Plane
    MA Whiplash 90 FBL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice!!!
    Don't be in a hurry to crash your plane son.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh NO!!!! Now Greg has another plane to terrorize us with! Good grief!

Nice going Ron, a very selfless thing to do. Happy for you Greg, heard you had a rough one at Waco! Time to get on that build buddy. What kind of plane is it? When is the maiden? Want me to fly her for you and trim her out!

Shaz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shaz I think it was the same kind that he had in Waco
    Bob-O
    I Crashed All My Planes, Can I Fly Yours

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DavidR

In light of the ''Not good for RC'' thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR
    +++ for David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fellowship,flying, and food. Seem to be the constant in the events I've attended, no matter what we're flying.
    Enjoy the jet Greg!
    Kevin

as I attend a few different events a year, not all of the Jet Rally's, I always look forward to the jet ones and the family of friends we spend the weekends with.

On average, most r/c events are 1-2 days long, but jet events on average are 4 days. At 99% of all jet events you can walk up and down the line and know just about everyone there, when the day is over, few leave the venuebut most pull out their chairs, lite up grills and just relax with the fellowship of the modelers.

Farview r/c flyers just had their jet rally last week, the pilots have become one big family.

long story short, the jet community is like none other.. it's a great place to be.......

Mark
    JPO District III rep - Turbine CD,
    www.jpnepa.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark, the grills aint the only thing that gets lite at Farview!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jclittle

In light of the ''Not good for RC'' thread and the bickering, bigotry, and disrespect of people in general I got to witness the real good side of our community this past weekend at Shreveport, Louisiana. Ron Shwartzcof, a long time modeler and all around good guy did one of the most selfless things I have seen in a long time. Ron bought raffle tickets, won the raffle and in turn gave the airplane he won to fellow modeler and I might add also a another good guy Greg Moore who had lost his new model at Waco. Kudos to Ron! That was the highlight of my flying season this year.

DR
    +++ for David

Ahhhhhhh...finally a good thread!

++++

Rex
    AMA Contest Director #7484
    Turbine Waiver #15150

Don, even when it's dark we can still lite, i mean burn the kero......
    JPO District III rep - Turbine CD,
    www.jpnepa.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying jets for about 12 years now. I recently have put my jet wings to rest( for a while) to experiment with model turbine helis. I still get to grip the sticks once in a while to keep the "feel" fresh.

I recently went to my first Scale heli event. I can honestly say, that there was a different feel to the event than what you get at the jet rallys. First thing I noticed was the lack of night life at the event for those that camped at the field. It was like when the sun went down, everybody went to sleep.

The other thing I noticed was it seemed like people where just sooo serious about everything. I am all for competition but it was beyond that. More like, don't get to close to my bird, you might break it or see how I modified something cuz I don't want anyone else to have it like mine.

I guess i have just been spoiled with the jet guys and the friends I have made over the years. Even though I don't own any jets to my name currently, I am very inspired to get the "big" scale turbine heli that I am working on done, so that I can come hang out at some of the local jet events. Even if I only get to fly once or twice, that is fine buy me.

The camaraderie and brotherhood feeling with the jet community is second to none. I have been to scale events, heli events, electric only events and none, in my eyes, hold a torch to the experience you get at a jet rally. Most of the guys are willing to take the skirt off their back if it will help someone else. Just good times for sure.

Billy

Let me tell you about the jet community......

during my wife's illness and passing, my jet brothers and sisters throughout the US and Canada encouraged us, prayed for us, and stood with us in the darkest hours. When we cancelled our jet rally, my local club - THE FARVIEW FLYERS - created the Great American Jet Rally for the purpose of giving the Northeast jet flyers an event to attend during the period that our event would have occurred. No....that is not all. I was recently notified that a large amount of the event proceeds, $1000, was donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of my Cindy.

No sir, I do not belong to a jet community, I have a jet family.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awesome stuff! Truly what it is all about right here!
    Yeah, I use mixing... Balsa & Dirt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: f106jax

during my wife's illness and passing, my jet brothers and sisters throughout the US and Canada encouraged us, prayed for us, and stood with us in the darkest hours. When we cancelled our jet rally, my local club - THE FARVIEW FLYERS - created the Great American Jet Rally for the purpose of giving the Northeast jet flyers an event to attend during the period that our event would have occurred. No....that is not all. I was recently notified that a large amount of the event proceeds, $1000, was donated to the American Cancer Society in memory of my Cindy.

Well Said.
    Scratch it till it bleeds Convert it till it chokes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Very well said! Now if i could just attend more of these family reunions i'd be a happier man
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

I do not fly jets. (Pockets not deep enough!). I do however love my prop planes. I came across this thread and had to comment. I have been saying for years that it's the people that make this hobby great. I have been all over the world and attended events and always have had a wonderful experience.

F106jax. Sorry for you loss and glad the community showed the kind of people we are.

Everyone of us should be proud of who we are and how we do things for our family.

Thanks to all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

finally a great thread where friends can talk to each other with with no arguing. Love to go to meets an meet and socialize with people
    don\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'cry\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\' till\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'it hits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Billy

I have been flying jets for about 12 years now. I recently have put my jet wings to rest( for a while) to experiment with model turbine helis. I still get to grip the sticks once in a while to keep the ''feel'' fresh.

I recently went to my first Scale heli event. I can honestly say, that there was a different feel to the event than what you get at the jet rallys. First thing I noticed was the lack of night life at the event for those that camped at the field. It was like when the sun went down, everybody went to sleep.

The other thing I noticed was it seemed like people where just sooo serious about everything. I am all for competition but it was beyond that. More like, don't get to close to my bird, you might break it or see how I modified something cuz I don't want anyone else to have it like mine.

I guess i have just been spoiled with the jet guys and the friends I have made over the years. Even though I don't own any jets to my name currently, I am very inspired to get the ''big'' scale turbine heli that I am working on done, so that I can come hang out at some of the local jet events. Even if I only get to fly once or twice, that is fine buy me.

The camaraderie and brotherhood feeling with the jet community is second to none. I have been to scale events, heli events, electric only events and none, in my eyes, hold a torch to the experience you get at a jet rally. Most of the guys are willing to take the skirt off their back if it will help someone else. Just good times for sure.

Billy
    WE leave it up to you to get the Heli guys to act like us you have one year and i want to see results then maybe i will have Lowel hook me up on one
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK boys, I'm going to have to chime in here. I fly those pesky turbine helis and I just bought two jets! I'm not a doucher at the field, just ask Shaz! Hell, I let him scare the crap out of me with my own jet!

I like the tone of this thread and will have a fun announcement that relates EXACTLY to what is being discussed here. Should be Friday.

STAY TUNED!!
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com
    Who's Flying Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)
    Who's Racing Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The people i have met at the new england rallies are some of the nicest I have ever met. I had an issue with a tank at the Maine rally, and after the event he shipped me a kevlar tank he had lying around. Didnt even want shpping for it. Just shows how they will give you the shirt off their back, and I wouold do the same..Jimmy if youre reading this Thanks!!!!! your the man...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DR
    Got to agree with David that we have a community/family/bunch of dis-functional relatives that at the end of the day, our still OURS.
    Long ago , I was told "going to rallies is about the people ... if you just want to fly, stay home, it's cheaper". MAN is that so true!
    Following the loss of my F-86D in Waco (talk about a LONG 835 mile drive home []) it was great having the e-mails and P.M.s.
    Then finding out that Ron had bought boocoup (sp) raffle tickets ... and the big brown toy truck will be delivering it this afternoon.....WOW!
    There is something special (maybe it's the fumes from the engines? ... I KNOW it's not David's cigars ) that makes us keep driving 800+ miles to hang with an eclectic and interesting group of folks who will rifle through their stuff to find bits and pieces, soldering irons and all sorts of other goodies to keep you flying.
    Ron's selflessness is, fortunately, more common than not among our little group, and I'm incredibly glad that I belong, and through this forum "know" some fantastic people from all walks of life and all corners of the globe.

Thanks for starting this thread David!

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast