Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kevlar tape / "live hinge" repair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kevlar tape / "live hinge" repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kevlar tape / "live hinge" repair

I need to repair the 'live hinge' for the flap on my SM L-39. Any suggestions on where to get Kevlar tape for the repair? Any suggestions on the best way to install the tape?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kevlar tape /

Hey Randy,

The live hinge on my SM F-4 right flap tore at First in Flight this year. After researching several threads on RCU about live hinge repair, I ended up installing Robart hinge points. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but I throw it out there as an alternative. The change was easy and I never have to worry about a live hinge tearing again.

It was good meeting you at Super Jets South.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with what Mike said .. with a flap where the hinge pivot is usually on the lower skin of the wing and not visible, a Hinge point becomes a lot cleaner or a repair ...

I personally miss ofset hinge-point type of surface mounting ... its more reliable, and is actually more scale. Whats marketed to consumers as easier and more reliable for them to install, is juts something just cheaper for the manufacturer to produce ... [&o] I dont mind it on a sport Jet, but on Scale planes id rather not have live hinging myself ..

~V~
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

+3
When I was rebuilding a Reaction wreck that I picked up, one of the live hinges was torn, Robart to the rescue!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 AM
VF84sluggo

Ok, I'll consider Robart. Is there a particular Robart hinge part # that y'all would recommend?

Woj, could you expound on this "I personally miss ofset hinge-point type of surface mounting"? I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 10-18-2011, 10:27 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Randy,

If you do need some kevlar tape for the repair if you decide to go that route, I have plenty of kevlar tape here at the house. Take care.

Jason
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM
VF84sluggo

Great Jason, thanks! I probably shoud have you take a look at the wing and see what you think.

Randy
Old 10-18-2011, 07:14 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used a piece of the the Radio South 1" X 36" mylar hinge material to re-install a live-hinged aileron that got ripped off my GJC F4D in an off field landing. It worked well and was easier to install than replacing the live hinge with Robart hinge points. I would probably not use it on a surface for a large aircraft, but for an L-39 flap, I think it would do fine.

The problem with replacing the original kevlar hinge with another strip of kevlar on the back side of the surface is getting it to attach to the back of the surface all the way up to the edge, but not having any adhesive in the very narrow area where you want the hinge to flex. Using a mylar hinge, you don't have that problem as the mylar hinge material doesn't absorb adhesive.

You can find it here:

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/closeup....d=806&offset=0

Bob
Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

A live hinge is acutally peel ply sandwiched between Fiberglass. (This the only way I have seen a live hinge made and peel ply is what I use on layups) Since it is done on the orginal layup I do not know really anyway of repairing it.

I would install blocks and use Robart hinges. I would trust this type of repair.

Hope this helps

Clay
Old 10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
TheTick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a live hinged flap come off of one of my sailplanes. I used a bead of silicone glue and it held just fine at very high speeds. It makes for a very clean and super solid repair. Would this be an option for your l-39?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Randy

i hada etter look on the L39 flaps .The robart hinges wont work.They r too short.

The support woods of each side are just too far apart from the hinge line so the robart hinge will be exposed.For a flap this size its not good.

Just repair the live hinge with kevlar cloth.sand down,glue it..and brake free the hinge line.

IMHO stay away from peelply.once the epoxy will cure like a glass,its will cut off after 5 or 50 hinge moves.It WILL fail.

Just take a small cloth of peel ply and kevlar cloth.Get a good pair of scissors and try cut them...then you will know what i mean..

....build to last
Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Hey Randy,

The live hinge on my SM F-4 right flap tore at First in Flight this year. After researching several threads on RCU about live hinge repair, I ended up installing Robart hinge points. I know that this doesn't answer your question, but I throw it out there as an alternative. The change was easy and I never have to worry about a live hinge tearing again.

Mike,
Did you replace all the hinges for every surface with hinge points or just the one for your right flap?
Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:12 AM
JRSmith
My Feedback: (47)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Great Jason, thanks! I probably shoud have you take a look at the wing and see what you think.

Randy

I can take a look, no problem. Just give me a call. Take it easy.

Jason
Old 10-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Nhalyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have a good description on this web page on how to add an hinge to a live-hinged wing.

This is for a Krill IMAC model, but it's the same for our jets...

Please scrool down the page : [link]http://krill-model.com/download/manualyak55m_33/language/Tuning.htm[/link]
Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

ORIGINAL: f106jax

Hey Randy,

Mike,
Did you replace all the hinges for every surface with hinge points or just the one for your right flap?
Thanks!
Dom,

I put Robart hinge points on both flaps. The ailerons I left live hinged.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Mike.