Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Finally running out of Powermax - Coleman Butane/Propane mix?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Finally running out of Powermax - Coleman Butane/Propane mix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Finally running out of Powermax - Coleman Butane/Propane mix?

Sounds like its time to just go kero start!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Yeah, you got one of them that will work with my RAM500?? Nice little 12lb turbine. Works perfectly; has for lots of hours. Just likes Powermax for starting... Come on, contribute something to the thread or stay out of it!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ianober

Sounds like its time to just go kero start!

I agree with Ram Flyer... especially since the thread is over a year old... BUT... I'm not sold on Kero start. When it works... it's great... but I watched 2 engines have issues a couple weeks ago with Kero start. They both turned into flame throwers... and one required an extinguisher.

I'll stick to Propane for starting.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I understand the concern over loosing the Power Max can. I really did not want to lose my triger for the Power Max can.

So I started refilling the cans. It is simple and easy.

Clay
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

I agree with Ram Flyer... especially since the thread is over a year old... BUT... I'm not sold on Kero start. When it works... it's great... but I watched 2 engines have issues a couple weeks ago with Kero start. They both turned into flame throwers... and one required an extinguisher.

I'll stick to Propane for starting.
Amen to that brotha' ! I've decided to stick to gas start too - not really a bother now that we have the valve to use the readily available camping gas, and *much less* of a chance to turn your jet into a burning puddle of kero. Unfortunately, soon you won't be able to get a new gas start engine anymore... [&o]

Bob
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 AM
djay

ORIGINAL: zaskarkid

wren unit looks nice. I ended up cutting one of a portable stove. the factory terminated metal line is 3mm.

That is what I ended up doing, only I removed the braided hose and swaged end from the regulator at the screw in nut, which left a long barb sticking out over which the gas supply pipe just fitted straight onto.
Works a treat.

Darryl
Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, the change over to the pancake style butane/propane canister should not be an issue. I made a new fitting to go into the pancake can nozzle using a piece of 1/8” brass tube. The old style barbless fitting for the now extinct Power Max can, won’t work in the pancake can. The fitting opens the valve but in turn seals the fluid from escaping. There needs to be a flow path from the valve into the supply line. I did this by cutting a 1/8” long lengthwise slit in the brass tube. Now the brass fitting can open the can valve and the slit provides a path for the fluid to escape to the supply plumbing. There is an O ring above the valve that will prevent fluid escape to the atmosphere. Keep the slit in the brass tube at 1/8” so you don’t bridge that O ring. I also soldered a washer on the brass tube to provide a grip when I push the fitting into the can. You may be able to modify the plastic barbless fitting in the same manner but I'm not sure it will seal at the O ring. Very important, as previously mentioned, hold the pancake can upside down to get fluid instead of gas.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:31 AM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

djay and Square Nozzel; Do you have any pictures of what you have done???

Old 11-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photo of my propane probe for the Coleman pancake style Butane/Propane canister. Sorry for the size, no closeup lens, but I think you can get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38723.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	1819537  
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
djay

No Photo, but I brought the portable stove which comes in a small red plastic container.
At the regulator end I cut away the swage around the end of the braided hose. The swage is only thin soft metal so a craft knive will cut through it. I then cut away and pulled of the hose from the regualtor.
This left the regulator intact with a barb sticking out where the hose was attached.
To this barb I fitted some 3mm yellow gasline straight onto it, it is a good fit.
The other end of the gas line has the quick release fitting to plug into the aircarft.
The regulator then just screws straight onto the top of the gas bottle and works a treat., shuts off the flow off gas completely , and when the regulator is opened the gas flow can be adjusted niceley.
Leak tested underwater and no leaks.

picture of stove and regulator are in zaskarkid post on the previous page.

Darryl