Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Turbine on The Block

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Turbine on The Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Mike06659

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbine on The Block

Who will be the first to try them out

http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...9fa67eb5961071
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: New Turbine on The Block

Now that's a name for a turbine.

BTW my Mexican Asada Taco kicks your Pepperoni's Thin Crust's *****.

:/)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all these new Turbines comming to market you have to wonder if building them is not actually a little easier them many would like us to believe

Dennis
Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep, that's the same ET that was banned from RCU.

Do follow the link to his site & read his rant paralleling cars & turbines as he bags the countries where
the more established turbines are made.

He didn't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Is he for real? - John.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:39 AM
FalconWings

I thought it was funny as hell, but he takes credibility from his product when he does this. Its all about the ranting and none on thd product. I could not see what makes these engines stand out over the rest, except for the cool name.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

With all these new Turbines comming to market you have to wonder if building them is not actually a little easier them many would like us to believe

Dennis

In reality... it is. All the real engineering has been done. We know the tolerances, and the materials that need to be used. The only reason JJ got such a bad wrap, is because they tried to use cheap materials.

In my short visit to the dark side (playing with turbines) the only company that did a new design is King Tech. As far as I know... they are the only guys using the diffuser as the fuel manifold, and spraying into J-tubes. Everyone else uses a tube manifold, and sprays into straight evaporators. Honestly... I like KingTech's design better. You have a longer tube to possess the fuel... but the bigger tubes do occupy a lot of room in the combustion chamber.

The hard part is building a good ecu... and Xcioy already makes a good universal unit, at a good price.

Mind you... this is coming from a Physicist, that got tired of being in a lab, and opened a machine shop. If the materials weren't so expensive... I would probably experiment with building my own engine.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 AM
Mike06659

This just reminds me of the amount of companies producing turbines that have come and gone over the past ten years. It seems they run an ad for a year or so never to be seen again after that period of time. I think it's harder then they think to compete in the R/C Turbine Business.

Turbine companies that have died

I-Jets
RAM
FTE
JetJoe Copy "Forget the name?"
I know there is more
Old 10-29-2011, 06:36 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

At one point back in 2004 there were over 30 different turbine manufacturers. More than the traditional 2-stroke engine.

Wasn't it Easytiger who told us all the companies who were selling turbines for over $1000 were ripping us off? HA! I love it.

J tubes used first by AMT netherlands and AMT USA back in the late 1990's. Not a Kingtech first, but a copy. Heck we had them in our first P-200 that was on my KingCat back in 2004 as well. Canged thos out real fast.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I am all for new turbines as competition is good for us the customer, the Italians will do a good job in regard to the product quality, but if you are entering a market of strong manuf loyalties you need to have an edge.

I cant see any reason that would make me buy one of these turbines over others, especially when for example you have say the Testarossa speed 12 turbine which is (with kero start) the same price as a Merlin 140 which has 3lb more thrust, and comes from a manuf who is highly regarded with a proven track record and reliability.

When kingtech came into the market they said we will give you a reliable turbine at affordable price, the K80 is that, so they sold loads.

If you are coming into the market you need to give us something, better price, smaller turbine, more thrust. Look at the VT80 or K80 to see how it should be done.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
chrigui

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10766118/tm.htm

or

http://www.jet-italia.it/
Old 10-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

If those turbines he sells are anything like the planes he sells........I think I will pass. ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!!!

Billy
Old 10-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: John Redman

J tubes used first by AMT netherlands and AMT USA back in the late 1990's. Not a Kingtech first, but a copy. Heck we had them in our first P-200 that was on my KingCat back in 2004 as well. Canged thos out real fast.

I was unaware that AMT used J tubes. My AT-180 is old ('94 vintage) I guess it has them then.

ORIGINAL: Mike06659

I think it's harder then they think to compete in the R/C Turbine Business.

That's the key. Making an engine wouldn't be hard... but to be competitive, and to recoup your investment on the initial production run would be the hard thing.

AND... as you guys already said... to get a foot hold in a market with loyal customers is hard. KingTech was able to get that because they came out 30% under market price with a good turbine. (that should be the key right there) Heck... JJ still sells engines because they are so darn cheap.

I think it would be tough to build a low production run of engines, and be less than $1k retail. The only way that could happen is to sell direct... but then you would loose your world market. Remember... the importer, and the dealer both want to make $$$.

Sorry... I guess I got off topic. But, no... for the price... I won't be buying one.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 PM
molo_30

ORIGINAL: Mike06659

This just reminds me of the amount of companies producing turbines that have come and gone over the past ten years. It seems they run an ad for a year or so never to be seen again after that period of time. I think it's harder then they think to compete in the R/C Turbine Business.

Turbine companies that have died

I-Jets
RAM
FTE
JetJoe Copy ''Forget the name?''
I know there is more

Are you talking about these I-Jets Turbines? [link=http://www.i-complete.com.my/i-jets/listproducts.php?catid=1&cattxt=Engines]I-Jets[/link]

Geez, maybe I should call the factory to see if they are still producing, oh wait I don't have to as I have you to keep me up to date on what my manufacturer is doing. Thanks for the info Mike.

Ps. I think you'll find they are still producing engines if you cared to get the facts.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Dr Honda

I don't know the inside story... the the US distributor (Dreamworks) no longer carries them, and on thier web site, it says.... "Due to lack of manufacturer availability of the Mamba engines; we have decided to discontinue carrying I-Complete Products. "

That doesn't sound too positive that they are still in biz. I guess Todd would have the real story.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Kometfreak

I think I will wait for Mikey to try one first.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

At one point back in 2004 there were over 30 different turbine manufacturers. More than the traditional 2-stroke engine.

Wasn't it Easytiger who told us all the companies who were selling turbines for over $1000 were ripping us off? HA! I love it.

There's still too many turbine mfrs IMO....

I would rather see the current mfrs come with better and lower cost solutions such as the VT80 from Jets Munt than new brands that have no real commerical incentive to swtich to.

PaulD
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Mike06659

molo_30
The information I read was from the Dreamworks site as Dr. Honda stated as well but if there still going strong that is great as competition is good.

As for the new turbine on the block you cannot come in at these prices and expect to sell turbines. I think they need to re-think their business plan.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somehow, I think this company is going to have a copyright issue with Ferrari for using the Testarossa name.

And I like the way their write-up drifted from fresh mozzarella and canelloni, to pizza, Mercedes, taxis, Jaguars, cement cookie-cutter homes, aged oak from the Forest of Nottingham, the VW Beetle, and boring jobs to these turbines. I can't believe they forgot to write about the space shuttle program and somehow tie that in!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: PaulD

There's still too many turbine mfrs IMO....

I would rather see the current mfrs come with better and lower cost solutions such as the VT80 from Jets Munt than new brands that have no real commerical incentive to swtich to.

PaulD
If you keep buying from them there will be no incentive to lower costs.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:15 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I can't help but think that this company didn't do any research on the U.S. market. If they had, they'd have chosen a different distributor. ANY different distributor.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

I can't help but think that this company didn't do any research on the U.S. market. If they had, they'd have chosen a different distributor. ANY different distributor.

Todd (Deamworks) made mention in a different thread that they wanted him to carry their engines... but he too said there was nothing special, and the price was too high, and he felt there wasn't going to be a market for those engines in the USA.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:41 PM
FILE IFR

How can you take Curtis seriously with thoughts like this from him?

**Quote from the intro**
I mean, you can buy a turbine made in GERMANY, they are fine, in a mundane, workaday kind of way, like a Mercedes, which is commonly used a a TAXI in many countries...they are fine, reliable choices for colorless middle-manager types that work for Mittelstand-type industrial machinery corporations like Werner and Pfleiderer in Dusseldorf, who just want to go back and forth to work to and from their cookie-cutter cement houses every day, until they retire or go postal and take out the whole neighborhood...I mean, that's fine, if that's all you want out of life, basic German-type transportation and German-type style...when you say "style" and "German" in the same sentence, that's like saying "love song" and "German" in the same sentence, it just does not work..." **
Old 10-29-2011, 07:02 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

Somehow, I think this company is going to have a copyright issue with Ferrari for using the Testarossa name.

Sadly, another failed post by AP4. [8D]

"testarossa' is an adjective in Italian, and not a proper name.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen, just to update some info here, the latest K-80s (around #600s and over) don't have the J tubes anymore but a proprietary design to compliment the newest chamber to achieve better response and fuel efficiency.

Barry
Old 10-30-2011, 01:09 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, guys, guys, c'mon!! What we should all be wanting from a brand new range of turbines is 78 lines of utter nonsense introducing us to all their merits

Oh, and unfortunately, Italian cars are well known for having loads of history, passion, emotion but crap reliability and build quality!!! Heck, even my spanking new Ferrari had to go back in 2 or 3 times for stupid faults (alarm that set itself off, leaking passenger window and remote fuel flap mechanism that packed up!) - at that point in time I couldn't give a toss how F-e-r-r-a-r-i sounded when I said it. Infact, I found I stopped saying F-e-r-r-a-r-i and loving how it flowed off the tongue and simply went with W**KERS!!! So, even this most tenuous of analogies is as questionable as the marketing/turbines themselves...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.