Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Enlarged Zirioli Turbinator 125% size

Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ron,
Hope Jan is doing well. The airplane looks fantastic, and the scheme is really cool. After taking out a second mortgage (HA), I ordered all your recommended servos, the Robart Electric Retracts, and Robart Struts.
They should be here this week. Let me know if there is anything else I need to order as I need some things for my Tiger 120 which I will order on Sunday. Take care , keep me posted

Jimmie
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Yea Jim, it adds up quick. The cost of the landing gear, servos and covering are more than the plane cost to build. LOL. Jan is doing better we went to the Blast game last night.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Ron Stahl

Chic, she is doing better but has a lot of un answered issues medically. The biggest thing is the 80 lb weight loss and cronic infections raising her white cell count.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

The way the 3 piece wing is designed, could the center section span be reduced any??

Maybe down to 42 inches or so??

Want to be able to transport it in my van without removing the center section.

Thanks
Tony
Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Ron Stahl

Tony, I'm not sure how Bob has split up the three piece wing version. I was going to build mine that has a foam wing to do just that, the issue is the span of the flaps. You could reduce the span of the flaps and use more aileron crow to add drag for landing in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Want to be able to transport it in my van without removing the center section.
Probably not practical unless you always have help when you load and unload. That is what I planned on doing with mine but it ended up being too heavy and bulky for me to load and unload by myself. The main struts are only 32 or 33" apart if I remember right, so it would be possible to do if you wanted to.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

This would be my first jet, so the best idea might be to stick with the standard size ARF and keep it simple too!

Tony
Old 03-14-2014, 06:26 PM
jefff
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reduced my center section to 47". This gives me 1" clearance to roll into my van. The front of the fuse goes over the center console. I am lifting 37 lbs for a short distance. But now I only have to put on the outer wing panels.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
Ron Stahl

Well, not having a hobby shop now in our area is rearing it's ugly head. I had to wait a week to get six solder 4-40 clevis's because I was out and nobody close had any in stock. I did get all the pushrods finished tonight and braced in the fuse and made for the wings. I also was able to place the 1221 Rx's and it's four RX's on Velcro pads so I can easily move them if needed. Now to get the fuel system in and the engine mounted. Balancing is going to be fun, it looks like I'll need a few pieces of lead in the nose but time will tell.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Ron Stahl

Well, work and sure got in my way the last three months. The projects are over and I'm able to relax in the shop again at night. I had the plane on its gear tonight, and finished up the mounting of the pilot and instrument panel. It looks like I'll need several pounds of lead in the nose to balance her but I kind of knew that based on the std size one needing lead as well. I need to get the turbine mounted and the fuel system in and then CG prior to having that last once over prior to first flight. Pictures and final weight to follow.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Ron Stahl

I picked up the sheet aluminum for the heat sheild and engine cover from HD over the weekend and got it cut and fitted to my likeing. Hopefully with the holiday this week I will be able to get the engine and fuel system transfered from the std sized one for a fit check. From what the scale told me the plane shold come in around 32-35 Lbs with ballast empty at the high end and maybe below 40 full of fuel. RCU was hung up last night so i couldn't post the update. Jetdr get that van ready your going to need it. LOL.

Last edited by Ron Stahl; 07-01-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:27 AM
grbaker

There is light at the end of that tunnel, finally!...LOL. Can't wait for the flight reports. Great work, Ron!

Thanks again for coming up with the idea to enlarge this airframe. I'm still in love with mine.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Ron Stahl

Well, just as I was in the home stretch, family illness has gotten in the way once again. Nothing accomplished since the last post and I'm so close.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 PM
grbaker

Sorry to hear that, Ron. Hope the health issues improve soon.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Ron Stahl

Thanks Gary, most of my local flying buddies know and understand about my wifes health issues that came to light last year around the spring time. Diabeties is a trerrible illness when it is out of control. and she has a very hard to manage case ata times. Nick is comin gup for WOD this week so maybe that will inspire me to finish it up. I picked up 10 lbs of lead so we could balance them both.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Ron Stahl

Finally I got motivated to get back in the shop this past week. Dealing with my wife's illness and the headaches from our business venture were taking up all my free time. I transplanted my P-120 workhorse and it's fuel system out of the std size one tonight so we could swap them from one to the other if need be and built a balancing stand over the last week. All said and done I'm at 35-36lbs dry with 5 of that as lead in the front compartment to get the CG close. I have four, yes four batteries on board. Dual 4500 five cell packs for the Rx and servos, another 4500 five cell for the retracts and a 2500 six cell for the ECU. I can move these forward another few inches if need be to dial her in. I'll recheck the balance at the field when I have help to pick the monster up. Test flight is scheduled for next Thursday. Now I have to put the P-70 back in your plane Jimmy after we test run it this weekend. I'm going to test load the van over the weekend as well since all this is a new configuration for us.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Ron Stahl

Well guys, it's all done but the test flight. It's been a long journey and I'm sure it will fly as good as the standard sized one just better. Will post pictures from the Summer Afterburner Rally. I'll be there Wednesday through Sunday to test all the systems and get a few flights on her is possible. Thanks for all the support and thoughts. Jimmy get the van ready, yours is going to Bobs right after the rally for paint and we'll fly her ASAP. I'm going to take a break for a few months but have a bigger plane planned for the future. I picked up a set of plans for a 1/8 scale F-86 and am going to double it to 1/4 scale with a glass fuse and foam core wings. I'll need to clean the shop out for it. Lol.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Ron Stahl

Well guys thirty four months later the plane has been test flown. Today with the help of Jim Klapp (Jetdr) and Bob Franz ( R Franz) we balanced the plane at the field, did the range test, test ran the engine to purge the fuel system, and then waited for just the right time of day for the test flight. Jim had to go home for the night and missed the first flight but will get to fly it tomorrow and the rest of the weekend at the Farview Summer Afterburner Rally with me. It wound up at 36lbs dry with one pound of lead in the nose that might come out after a few flights. No real issues and only took four clicks of up elevator and one click of right aileron for triim. Thank you to Nick and Nick Jr. for the original design and support on making the huge canopies we needed to make this happen in the first place, Limey Bob for the excellent job on the short kit, JR for a bullet proof RF link, and most of all for my wife Janice's support over the last three years of building the 125% Turbinator which will be named " Annie's Fanny" to honor my mother Ann who along with my father started me in the hobby just over forty years ago with my first RC plane, radio, and engine for my 14th birthday. Pictures to follow from the field tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	2018710  

Last edited by Ron Stahl; 07-30-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 AM
grbaker

Congratulations, Ron!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:20 AM
elmiros33

Hello there
I'm french
sorry for my english but thank you google translation
I have had the chance to try a Turbinator yesterday with a merlin 100 and I'm falling in love with this jet
I just buy a 140g Kintech and I just saw that there is a short kit Turbinator for this size of reactor
my question is
is that the size of the boards and stick on the enlarged map were changed?
or should it t to Measure?
here in France dimensions in mm is it complicated to find sticks and planks for this jet?
t it there someone who wants to sell the plane alone? to see already
thank you to you all and good flights
Old 08-25-2014, 07:29 AM
elmiros33

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-18 16.20.06.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2025707  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:10 AM
Ron Stahl

Originally Posted by elmiros33
Hello there
I'm french
sorry for my english but thank you google translation
I have had the chance to try a Turbinator yesterday with a merlin 100 and I'm falling in love with this jet
I just buy a 140g Kintech and I just saw that there is a short kit Turbinator for this size of reactor
my question is
is that the size of the boards and stick on the enlarged map were changed?
or should it t to Measure?
here in France dimensions in mm is it complicated to find sticks and planks for this jet?
t it there someone who wants to sell the plane alone? to see already
thank you to you all and good flights
3mm balsa will be fine for the sheeting on the fuse, wings and tail since that is close to 1/8" . As for the sticks I laminated 1/16" sheet wood I cut into the proper width to get the thickness I needed as 5/16" thick wood is very hard to find but I have a ton of 1/16" so laminate four layers of 2mm or add a piece of 2mm inbetween two 3mm layers and stagger the joints.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:05 AM
elmiros33

ok thx
and for the plan?
is that a person can sell me a copy already?
thank you
Old 08-25-2014, 09:12 AM
elmiros33

is that the dimensions were changed on the plan?
thx
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Ron Stahl

You can get a set of plans from LDS and the short kit. Otherwise order a set of plans from Ziroli models and take them to a print shop,and have them enlarged to 125%. All of the wood sizes will be listed at the std size so you will have to measure or do the math.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.