Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Munt VT80 first runs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Munt VT80 first runs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Jet Munt VT80 first runs

I have been lucky enough to get a pre production VT80 from Jet Munts in spain. There was a thread on here a while back detailing this superb little turbine, so I wont go too much into the specifics again.
Just a brief overview shows what we have is a small 60-70 can size turbine, that produces a guaranteed 80 newtons of thrust. The designer/ builder of the turbine "Gaspar" assures me that they are all coming out slightly over this thrust figure. He would rather advertise it as 80 and have the extra as a bonus, instead of calling it a 90 and falling short, or overworking the turbine to reach that figure.
A really neat, and well made turbine. As per the other Merlin turbines. You know when you hold something and it just feels like quality. The fact that the temp sensor and the kero start are all internal really adds to the neatness. Not to mention the ease of mounting. This turbine is Kero start as standard.
The real big step forward is how self contained the VT80 is. In the front casing you have housed the complete ECU. Both Solenoid valves, IO board and of course subsequent cables. To explain better. All thats to fit/ hook up outside of the turbine itself is a small fuel pump, and the ECU battery. Everything else is in the front of the turbine.
The first time I opened the box, I was sure that I was missing a bunch of components. Having installed a fair few turbines in my time, I was amazed with how simply, easy and quick the VT was to set up. Just think about all those components ( ECU, Start valve, Run Valve, I/O board, Cables and servo wires etc, etc) The VT also only has one single 4mm input tube from the pump to a fest on the front of the motor ( Even this I like as its vertical instead of horizontal so takes it away from the compressor)
First impressions of the running side of things were just as good as the unpack and installation. To see how well the VT worked under the least favourable conditions ( and because I was hard pushed to finish the model in time ) I didnt have the time to soak through the UBT ( I normally like to leave fuel in there for a day or so before the first runs) I also didnt prime the fuel lines ( now some turbines I have used really get upset by this on the first starts) The VT did fail the first start, but only as it timed out whilst it was waiting for fuel to get all the way down the long fuel line. Second attempt at start saw it pop straight away. loads and loads of air bubbles went through the line ( I had the model inverted on the stand so could see what was going on) I got a small ( 6 inch flame ) on the very first fuel ramp which lasted all of about 2 seconds. After that it was straight up to speed and settled down with running shown on the GSU in well under 1 min. Subsequent starts have shown zero flames and the same super quick start, spool and handover time.
In use the turbine has what must be the quickest spool up of any turbine that I have flown to date. Not normally something that bothers me on a turbine ( Well except when I get to fly an original P-80 or even worse a JPX ) But I have to say, this thing is amazing. Its more like a switch than a throttle. At one point it seemed the noise from the turbine accelerating was as aggressive as I could get my stick movements.
This also transpired in thrust ( Not just noise) as on the first take off the model seemed to rocket forward when I gunned the throttle. What was also nice was that the power still remained linear through the throttle curve.
I made 4 flights before the rain set in, and not once did the VT80 even as much as splutter. All the flights were pretty hard, and contained a whole bunch of aerobatics. Flight time on 2.5 lts was around 8 mins, and I was really surprised to see the VT running even when the UBT contained half a tank of air ( Something I need to look into obviously)
All in all a really great days testing on a new turbine in less than ideal conditions. I dont know why I excepted any less really. I guess a mixture of all new electronics and turbine set up, combined with the amazing low price made me a little on edge I guess.
I get to fly a whole bunch of different turbines each year, and this VT ran as well as the best of them, and in no way performed in anyway representative of its low retail price. I will try to get some videos up on Y.T later, but for now the works server is a tad busy to be coping with me downloading.
Regards Al

Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Ali

Default RE: Jet Munt VT80 first runs

Just a follow up on the previous post. Not once did I have to touch any settings on the ECU. It ran straight from the box as it was supplied.
However.. One negative I will report, is that of noise. I didnt have a noise meter on it, and the turbine was in a model where the turbine was hanging out the back uncovered ( Possibly the least noise repressive install possible ) Yet it was evident that it was loud!! Not as high pitch a sound as a supersport that we used to run, more of a roar at high throttle settings. I have spoken to Gaspar about this issue this morning and he says that there may be an option of a longer, smaller tail cone which will reduce the DB's. It may cost a little more, and sap a small amount of power but I think for noise sensitive sites it will be worth it.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ali,

Any pics fo the Engine?

How low is the price?

Bob
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 AM
Ali

Pics are at home along with the video.
Price.. You are best speaking to Todd at Dream works for the USA. I am having a very special intro price for the Uk.
Regards Al
Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like 1400 Euro without VAT - thats about 2k USD. Be interesting to see what Dreamworks puts them up for.

http://www.jets-munt.com/pb/VT80/VT80.html

PaulD
Old 09-06-2011, 03:41 AM
Ali

Here is a photo of whats to install in the plane ( Minus the ECU Battery) [8D]
Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Ali

And dropped in place in a model designed to take the more conventional 80 size can turbines. ( Mounting spacers needed to be used due to the smaller diameter )
Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 AM
jetster81

Hi Al, prehaps a little pre emptive here but what's your choice the VT80 or the P100RX aside from the output difference? Thanks for the photos cheers.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A fairer comparison would be the Merlin 100 vs. the P100RX.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Ali

Hi Jetser.
I cant answer that till I have done a fair bit of flying on both. My plan is to retro fit the P100 into the airframe that the VT is in currently just to get an idea of what the differences in use are.
But remember, there is a £525.00 [X(] price difference between the two turbines, so I would say that really the more fair comparison would be the Merlin 100 and the P100. I have a Merlin 110 that might be a more accurate and fairer comparison.
Regards Al
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Ali

I think the VT80 is looking at a different market to what the P100 is aimed at. The name VT stands for Volks turbine ( Ala Volkswagen) Peoples turbine. Gaspar's idea is to try and get more people into the turbines by making a smaller, lighter and much more simple to install and operate turbine. Following along with this same goal, I have set a very small margin on these turbines, hoping that a lower retail price may help bring more newcomers into the hobby. I try and keep a close eye on the turbine scene in the UK, and it seems to me for the past year or so, i am seeing less and less new fresh faces coming into, what is arguably the best aspect of an already wonderful hobby. If I can be any part in helping change that then great, and I really have high hopes that this may be just the turbine to do that. Yes. I am sure that it wont be long till a cheaper, far eastern alternative comes along that will beat the VT for price. But with the VT you are getting a turbine which is designed, and made by one of the most experienced guys in the model turbine market. You are also getting some of the best product support that I have come across, so sure it may be a couple of hundred pounds more expensive than the up and coming HK turbine ( If and when it finally arrives) because really, do you see a Chinese turbine being that cheap?? ( Less than £1000?)
Regards Al.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM
jetster81

Thanks for your comments, perhaps I should elaborate a little, I am just about to return to Turbines after a long absence and am aware that things have moved on quite a bit since then, and am these days more interested in ease of opereation than performance particularly and as far as I can see the two turbines I am thinking about are at the forefront of a 'plug and play' install, with the latest in ECU technology that I am led to believe is the case. I am going to Jetpower and hope to make my final decision there. As you say the pricing and design of Gaspars unit is most appealling, and the fact that it is easily possible to swap the turbine from one plane to another but on the other hand the quality of Jetcat is proven to be second to none also and both have great back up and reliability. I will just have to see which takes my fancy on the day.
With regards to the HK turbine there is no reason that they cannot produce a good quality product at a low market price I personally would not be in a hurry to invest in one until it is well proven and can be adequately supported. Anthony is no fool and will know exactly what has to be done to enter the market with success, and those who poo poo the idea because they have bought a duff ESC or lipo from them and bad mouth the company for selling junk may be in for a surprise, it will be interesting to see as I think there will be a whole range of accessories (probably in production right now) surely to follow. Jets are one of the last bastions in the RC world to be relatively unaffected by the HK march on world domination, but for how much longer?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:54 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Ali's observation is correct. This Merlin 80 is targeted at an affordable range for new comers. We have been working with Jet Munt to jointly develop an affordable scale jet trainer for our jet training schools' student pilots. I am waiting for a production M80 that would be going into our standard RTF jet trainer.

The installation for this engine is so simple, even the cavemen I hire can install it on our school's L39. My goal is to build a jet that even a caveman can fly, but making that dream come through is going to take a while. , knowing that there is still a quantum leap between Ali and Mr. Caveman.

Ali - see you at Jet Power.

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63319.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1659034  
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Ali

See you soon Mike. Are you making it out to BITW this year?

A very amateur video from my camera of start up number two. I have some equally low grade video of the VT in flight, but am having issues getting it from my camera to computer right now.

http://www.youtube.com/user/machinch.../0/ylOhRi2qQA4
Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Ali

Jetster,
You have picked a great time to get back into the jet side of things. Lots of superb products out there and many new developments on the horizon. You will get to see lots of them in action next week at Jet Power, if I can be of any help there, or after just shout.
Regards Al
Old 09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
jetster81

Al, as ever, the gentleman that you are, I thank you and will say hello at JP for sure. I just took a look at the vid,wow,impressive!, watching this space with interest Cheers
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Ali

Anytime.
Wait till I get the video up of it in the air, and you can hear how it spools up and down!!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it has excellent response time to the throttle.

Why is there a Kero line comming out of the GSU in the video ?

Ali Do you ever do any real work or do you just fiddle with jets all the time

Dennis
Old 09-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Price must be very good on the VT80. Atleast in Sweden a VT80 and a Kingtech only differs slightly, where Kingtech is the cheapest turbine I know of that works.

Is the P100 also loud due to the short cone?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM
mikedenilin

Hi Ali,

Yes, I would also be at Best in the West at the end of this month. Look forward to seeing you here. Come fly my planes.

The spool up on this is about as fast as my M90. What amazes me is how little battery power it consumes (my M90), about 220 mah per start. It's very little comparing to other Kero start engines I've got.

These are noisy engines that I really like. The short cone must have some good effect on the noise level.

Mike
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When will these little babies be available in the UK ?

Regards

Dennis
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Ali

Hi Dennis.
Gaspar is working hard to produce them as we speak. I have a small batch of 4 turbines that may be at Jet Power. Of which one is left unsold. After that I have asked for another batch of VT's for stock, and I hope to see these within a few weeks.

Hey Mike. Good news about BITW. Just shout if you need/ want me to fly anything. I will always jump at the chance to take some laps on a T bird if there is one going lonely
I have M110 myself and I thought that was quick spooling, but this VT seems to almost have the edge even on that [X(]
Regards Al
Old 09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
loukos
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im paying for mine at jetpower. Order has been placed for me by cairoman.

Ali i'm a bit worried about the ecu being mounted on the turbine (excellent from an installation point of view), however even on fullsize aircraft the ecu is mounted a distance from the turbine and on softmounts. Sure, the model turbines dont any or little vibration, its just a small point to look out for.

All-in-all it looks like an excellent package and with Gaspar behind it I dont think anything will go wrong

See you all at JetPower!!!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
mikedenilin

Hi Ali,

I am at JetPower now. Will pick up a new exhaust pipe for my Hawk 190 turbine on my T-33. Hopefully to get it ready by BITW. Got my German EF2000 ready for you. It has functional slats! I just flew it a few more times last Sunday before I left for Germany. See you at Jet Power. I hope Gaspar don't sell mine to you.

Mike
Old 10-08-2011, 09:46 PM
ikoppel

Has anybody received their produciton run VT80s? I was told to expect the turbine at the end of September, but apparently they are not ready yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.