Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bandit ARF - Durostruts or Pro Link

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bandit ARF - Durostruts or Pro Link

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:49 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bandit ARF - Durostruts or Pro Link

Just wondered what peoples opinions were on the best legs for the Bandit ARF.

Any problems with using the Pro Link struts? I assume that they fit the MkII, with gear doors, without modification?

What are the advantages (if any) of sticking with the standard BVM struts?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bandit ARF - Durostruts or Pro Link

I here the trailing link struts are easier on the flex plates,but you need a little more clearance for the struts and tires
Old 11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
John Tancock

Trailing legs do have a tendency to bounce the model, this is because there is no rebound damper!
The spring tension increases as the legs are loaded up, and of course they want to unload immediately (Land as lightly as possible)!
The up side is they are friendlier to the airframe if you are flying off of grass!
I did see some trailing legs with dampers on them at Jet Power this year, but I can’t remember the supplier!

JT
Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would be interesting to see a barf II fitted with trailing links to see how they fit.

I bought the gear door upgrade for my original barf but found the gear door will hit the bottom of the strut when using the prolinks (it isn't a problem with the durostruts). It may well be possible to make work with a bit of thought but I've not fitted the kit yet due to lack of time to think it through and retain the prolinks. I fly off grass and would rather use them.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Trailing link struts would require some rework to the wheel well and wheel well door and hinge.

The Bandit ARF Mk I and Mk II wheel wells are not designed to fit trailing link struts, regardless of brand.
The wheel wells are designed to fit the Duro Strut only.

You would need to open the wheel well in the aft direction in order to accomodate the new wheel position, which would cause you to lose the aft side of the wheel well door frame that is molded into the wing skin. The door fits flush with the lower skin as designed.
You might also have to reposition the wheel well door aft hinge so the tire would not interfere with its operation.

Duro Struts work very well on this airframe. We have flown the prototype Mk II from grass (FJ 2011, Great American Jet Rally) and have enciountered no problems.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 PM
siclick33

It is a bit of a surprise to hear that the Pro Link struts don't fit out-of-the-box as they are sold as 'BVM approved' and 'No modification necessary'.

The question is answered though and it sounds like Durostruts are the way to go.

Thanks,
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 PM
John Tancock

There you go, words of wisdom!
From the people who are using them, the originals fit the model with no modification, and seem to work without any issues off of grass! They look better as well!
Old 11-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Harley Condra

ORIGINAL: siclick33

It is a bit of a surprise to hear that the Pro Link struts don't fit out-of-the-box as they are sold as 'BVM approved' and 'No modification necessary'.

The question is answered though and it sounds like Durostruts are the way to go.

Thanks,
Sounds like you read the notes from the Bobcat page of the website.
I know that we show an early Bandit ARF with them, but modification is required, especially if you have already ordered the wheel well door package. They are "BVM Approved"

With a BobCat or KingCat, there is no airframe modification required as the gear retracts aft in both cases.

Right...Duro Struts are included in the Bandit ARF landing gear option, and are the way to go.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Harley,

So the duro struts that come with landing gear package are fine off the grass??? I was going to order the pro links from BVM for the MKll Bandit, but I dont really want to make modifications, especially if the regular struts work well off grass..

Any one have any pics of the mods to put those in?? Curious, would just like to how much is actually involved
Old 11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

After having switched to prolinks, I wouldn't go back. And, yes there is a little trimming on the wheel well that has to be done, but nothing that I couldn't live with.

I don't have the MK 2 BARF, but after having MANY, MANY flights on a BARF (and still probably less than Harley and others here) there is nothing like NEVER having to touch flex plates again.

I can't remember the last time I had to change flex plates, as a matter of fact. With duro struts, I would just be doing some routine maintenance and such, going over my BARF and then be surprised to see a broken/cracked flex plate.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Harley Condra

I flew my Ultra Bandit from the grass at Florida Jets 2011....the condition of the field was awful, but the Duro Struts performed flawlessly.
We also flew the prototype Bandit ARF Mk II there, and it worked out perfectly....multiple flights, and no damage at all.

We sometimes fly at a couple of grass fields here in central Florida, and have not had any problems with the Duro Struts at all. BV even practiced for Top Gun this year with his 80" F-86 from grass to get accustomed to how it would handle the grass at Top Gun. He has flown his F-100 from the same field as well.
I have flown my KingCat from the grass, with no flexplate or landing gear damage.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna stick with the during struts and see how they work out.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think if you want to do the door package I would stick with dueostruts . If you think you will be flying off a rough field double the rear plate. I have been having a problem with rough field operations cracking the rear plates. So now I doubled them. No problem unless I go way off road I know the wing will crack. Dan Avilla
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 AM
roger.alli

I have a light weight Classic Balsa Bandit, and a heavy metal Super Comp Bandit. Both have Duro struts as I didn't want the hassel fitting well doors with prolinks. (I believe it can be done with a bit of work.)

I used to break flex plates reasonably often, but now that I have the Bandit landing technique sorted, haven't had to change one out in ages.

I also considered doubling the rear flex plates a few years back, and even made up he correct spacers to suit, but in the end I chickened out and kept the stock set up. (I was too frighetened of ripping out the internal wing structure.) Flex plates are designed to break!!

My opinion only. I know other guys like, and have sucess with the pro links and/or stiffer flex plates.

Roger
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 AM
rolsen12

PRO_LINKS......
Old 11-08-2011, 05:10 AM
Duncan

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

Trailing legs do have a tendency to bounce the model, this is because there is no rebound damper!
The spring tension increases as the legs are loaded up, and of course they want to unload immediately (Land as lightly as possible)!
The up side is they are friendlier to the airframe if you are flying off of grass!
I did see some trailing legs with dampers on them at Jet Power this year, but I can’t remember the supplier!

JT

Is that what was happening to Martin's bobcat in the Sin city Jets video complimation? nice of them to film it from different angles .......................................
Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 AM
Harley Condra

There is a change incorporated in the Bandit ARF Mk II which strengthens the main gear wing skin area.
Two end grain balsa blocks (in each wing) are installed during construction to keep a broken flex plate from damaging the wing skin.
Without the new blocks, a broken flex plate would allow the landing gear unit to move upward, sometimes damaging the upper wing skin.
The addition of the end grain balsa block limits this type of damage.

This change can be incorporated in the Mk I airframe very easily.
See the attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40435.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	1683650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21407.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1683651  
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

That looks great Harley!

I hysoled a piece of aluminum to my wing!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Harley Condra

Thanks....