RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kingtech K-140E/F owner

Old 05-15-2018, 07:19 AM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dear all 140E owners I wanted to ask you about the engine. A club member offered me his that barely has any time on it for a really reasonable price. I was wondering if it is worth buying or I am better off buying a G2?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Been flying mine now for many years and it's a great reliable, strong engine. If you can get it at a great price why not!?!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 AM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Canadian Man View Post
Been flying mine now for many years and it's a great reliable, strong engine. If you can get it at a great price why not!?!
That is really great to hear. This is my first turbine and I trust the guy selling it to me no question, and I also seen the engine fly it has been barely used. It is just I do not understand the difference between the E, F, G and G2 but my logic says that KT keep fixing issues in the older ones and bringing new improved ones out. And my only concern is whether the E is gonna start having issues in a while or not. What is different between the E and current G2?
Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by alfawaz View Post
That is really great to hear. This is my first turbine and I trust the guy selling it to me no question, and I also seen the engine fly it has been barely used. It is just I do not understand the difference between the E, F, G and G2 but my logic says that KT keep fixing issues in the older ones and bringing new improved ones out. And my only concern is whether the E is gonna start having issues in a while or not. What is different between the E and current G2?
That is actually not the case. E was gas start. F was kerostart versioin of E. G has internal valves and a single fuel input. G just makes install easier. G2 is when Kingtech started making their own ECU. It is a good ECU but there is nothing wrong with the Xicoy, I think they mainly wanted to stop buying someone elses ECU. With all that said, if you buy a new one you get a warranty. You buy a used one and have a problem you may very well eat up the price difference unless you get it for pennies on the dollar.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
That is actually not the case. E was gas start. F was kerostart versioin of E. G has internal valves and a single fuel input. G just makes install easier. G2 is when Kingtech started making their own ECU. It is a good ECU but there is nothing wrong with the Xicoy, I think they mainly wanted to stop buying someone elses ECU. With all that said, if you buy a new one you get a warranty. You buy a used one and have a problem you may very well eat up the price difference unless you get it for pennies on the dollar.
Ok that makes sense now. However, as I understand it you can pay $150 to KT and transfer a warranty ?
Old 05-15-2018, 09:31 AM
why_fly_high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok that makes sense now. However, as I understand it you can pay $150 to KT and transfer a warranty ?
That is a definite depends I believe. I would call Barry with the SN and verify that before planning on that being the case.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another thing to keep in mind is the G2 K140 is much smaller and lighter with better fuel efficiency. Its a pretty big step up from a normal K140. That being said the old K140s are like tanks and just run and run. Depending on the cost if it where me I would really look hard at the G2 unless you are strapped for cash.

Lighter smaller engine with better fuel economy means you need less fuel in the plane and a lighter wing loading. You will have less gear issues that way and a better flying plane.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah I tried calling KT they donít answer I will try to call again. How significant is the weight? Fuel consumption? Are we talking ounces? Pounds? Minutes? Seconds?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

K140 G2
Thrust 31lbs
weight 1460g
fuel 14 oz a minute

K140F
Thrust 31 lbs
weight 1649g
fuel 14 oz a minute

Best info I could find so if it needs correcting feel free.

I have a K140G2 in an original size T-One and it has been flawless. It also provides plenty of thrust even up here at 5000'.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well specs show fuel usage the same.... now for real world experience.

I built 2 T1s. One is the prtotype i built and the other is one i built for a friend. His has a new g2 k140 other has an old k140 big block. I flew them back to back and the g2 had so much more power I had to pull the hatch to see if it was in fact a k140 and not a k160. Also it used less fuel then the old 140.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 PM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's very interesting. Ok so here is the deal he offered me the turbine which has somewhere around 10 flights on it only + a PB Mercury SRS and 2 futaba receivers to go along with it for $2k so the turbine is somewhere around the $1400-$1600 basically. Is that worth it or adding another $800 to get a new G2?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:34 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you are prepared to spend $2K + $150 more to get the warranty on a used turbine ( lightly used ) then why not go for a new one, with warranty for just another $150 more, makes more sense, when these engines need the TLC they demand it has to be given to them at any cost, with a new engine you'll have a peace of mind by knowing your money was well invested on a NEW engine that comes with the latest bells and whistles.

Last edited by CARS II; 05-17-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:05 AM
why_fly_high

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's very interesting. Ok so here is the deal he offered me the turbine which has somewhere around 10 flights on it only + a PB Mercury SRS and 2 futaba receivers to go along with it for $2k so the turbine is somewhere around the $1400-$1600 basically. Is that worth it or adding another $800 to get a new G2?
Your mileage may vary but for me, it is worth the $800. if you could get the engine for a grand then maybe. For $800 you get less weight for sure, you get a warranty, and you don't have to mess with propane to start the engine.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 PM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You guys are killing me. I will give it some thought and see what I come up with. Thank you all for the help
Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just get the new one...You won't be disappointed...

https://pacificrcjets.com/collection...kingtech-k140g
Old 05-18-2018, 06:11 PM
alfawaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just order the airframe. Will see what happens. Thanks all