Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F22 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F22 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F22 Build

A few pics from FL jets. You can se in some of the pics I forgot to remove the vent plug.........

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64160.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1743088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56355.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1743089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58663.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	1743091  
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM
gunradd

Still trying to figure out my flameout problem. I also got my new radio I need to install. I removed the pipe and thrust vectoring for inspection. I also removed the turbine and fuel tanks. I am replacing the fuel pump inlet line between the fuel pump and UAT. It might be to small of diameter and causing airbubles down stream. I have a big event in 2 weeks and will test it out then.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gunradd, a rare possibility but if all else fails is worth guarding against. You could be affected by what they call static electricity discharge which can cause the ECU to trigger a flameout. Perhaps you can ground the fuel pump, tailpipe, turbine and fuel tank barbs with some electrical wire to take care of this.

Though this is something which is not reportedly evident at the turbine your size. I don't have experience myself on this.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM
gunradd

Hello Cycross. From what I understand the static thing happens when the plane lease the ground. My problem happens after about 6 mins of flight.

Small update.
I removed the turbine. I also removed the fuel tanks and all the plumbing. Went through everything with a fine tooth comb. I removed the tygon fuel line from the UAT and fuel pump and replaced with the stock UAT 6mm line. I hope this was the problem. I also found that the tygon I used in the fuel tanks was a little to thick and was keeping the fuel clunk in the back of the tank. When I first built the plane it was fine but I guess the tygon got a little stiff after sitting in the fuel.

These tanks are very long with a baffel in them. So I orderd the clear BVM clunk line from dreamworks. I will install it tomorrow. I hope this lets the clunk move to the front of the tank. I have no doubt that I was sucking air in a dive. Not sure if this was the flameout problem or not but it needs to be fixed.

I am waiting on a new 14 channel receiver from Futaba. It should be here this week. After I get it I will program the new radio and fly at a bigbird event this weekend at my home feild. I hope to fly allot so I hope this problem is behind me.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

So I thought the vent plug was the problem??
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 AM
gunradd

The vent plug was the first flame out. After that I had 2 more. Jet Central techs at FL jets looked at it and could not find out the cause. But changed the ECU just in case. Well after installing a new ECU I had another flame out.

So far I have been lucky on the dead sticks but I dont want to make a habit out of this. This plane does not go far on no power. It pretty much just stops in mid air.

BTW I orderd one of those nice vent plugs from drreamworks with the remove before flight flag.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Weird. That static thing is real. I got zapped the other day after refueling. I couldn't believe how much static was stored up in that plane after fueling. Man, I hope you figure this out. That's no fun having to dead-stick all the time, but it also makes for a nervous flight. You mentioned the fuel clunks. They stay on the bottom of the tank throughout the flight, regardless of the attitude? Your UAT is still full after you've dead-sticked?

I'm sure you love your engine, but have you tried swapping the engine itself for something else...even temporarily?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Gunradd,

I think someone already suggested it , but try tightening the UAT cap a little more. I also forgot the vent plug on my P-60. After landing I had a kevlar fuel tank which had hairline cracks which allowed air into the tank.
If you get stuck you're welcome to try my Cheetah to see if it duplicates the problem.
John
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM
gunradd

Thanks John!

The fact that I get a puff of white smoke out the back tells me the ECU is still working and not shutting it down. So that leads me to beleive its a fuel problem.

Yes Shaun I have the clunks at the bottom of the tank but the tygon was stiff enough to not let the clunk move to the foward side of the tank. It would hold it in the back of the tank and not let move. Well with the tanks being very long all it takes is a shallow dive and the clunks are not in the fuel.

UAT would be full after every flight. Thats what makes me beleive I just had an undersize supply line between the UAT and fuel pump. I dont think the fuel tanks is the problem but I want to rule out everything. I got the new clunk lines today and will install them tonight.

John are you going to try and make our event this weekend?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What Event???
John
Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
gunradd

ORIGINAL: john491

What Event???
John

ITs the 17thSpringfling (bigbirds) At Ocala.
Its Saturday and Sunday. I know a few jet guys from your feild are comming. Should be a decent showing of jets I hope.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM
gunradd

The BVM clunk line worked perfect. Now the clunk moves around. The tygon was just to stiff in the long narrow tank.

John might have a burn ban and no turbine flying. I will let you know but its pretty dry out........
Old 04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats this, dead sticks and burn bans?
better build your new electra fast

had to give you some hell right?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:07 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Raptor is aboout to turn 4, where does the time go...but, the first few taxi runs I had 1 flameout (jetcat Titan SE)..flew about ten flights (UAT sharing "T" to main tanks and never anything but a full UAT on landing (no air). Then, flameout, full of gas, just entered downwind afer TO...deadstick/landed fine (lucky).

This suggests to me static. I added some antistatic (2009) etc. and slowed my filling rate too, but when I talked to Jetcat to try and understand a little better (Bob) I was then aware of the update in the ECU software that essentailly prevents the shutdown from these static issues. That was early 2009 and I have not had any other flameouts.

I went as far as "bonding" (Bonding = connecting the parts to a common circuit but not to "ground") my UB lately, just for some insurance (landing gear - tanks/vents-pump-turbine-tailpipe).....it was intersesting to test the conductivity of the UB with all of the CF. Bonding seems like a reasonable middle ground but I also have not added that to the Raptor..

Just my experience, I hope you have worked it out with your Raptor.

Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM
gunradd

Flameout problem solved!
Burned 5 gallons and did 7 flights over the weeknd!

We had pretty heavy winds but the raptor does not seem to care much. Even today we had a real bad crosswind. I dont know what what causeing the flame outs but all the work I did paid off because I have no more problems.

A friend of mine got some good video in HD but it went out of focus a few times and it missed the high alpha and thrust vectoring. But I got another video on my phone of a different flight that shows the vectoring. Today on my last flight I decided to mix just a touch of aileron into the thrust vectoring. It really helped me hold it stable with the high gusty winds. (I know its not scale like this but its just a little mix). Could not be any happier with the plane.

Now its on to getting the gear doors back on it and buying a cockpit. I will only fly it a few more times then its on to Kentucky jets!!!

Here are a few pics. I will post the videos later when they download.

Name:	Xv64570.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1750703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91206.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1750704  
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM
BirdofpraY
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang chris look at that beautiful euro.... Hehehe... Finally all the bugs are gone now let's get it purrty...
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM
gunradd

Ok here is the HD video. It goes a little out of focus sometimes. I need to think Dave (Birdofpray) for the video! Thnx Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHty3...ature=youtu.be

I will post the cell phone video later with the thrust vectoring.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 PM
gunradd

And another video showing a little thrust vectoring. You can see the windsock at the begging and ands straight out almost 90 degree cross wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtMrF...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Very nice Kris, you're really logging some time on this one now.
Congrats on working thru the fuel issue...and keeping the model in one pce in the process! [8D]
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Kris great flying! See you at Jets over Kentucky.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
gunradd

Thanks Bob and Sean. BTW I loved the new Futaba radio. Everything was perfect. I was even able to mix some aileron into the thrust vectoring with the extra channels I had.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Bob_B

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Thanks Bob and Sean. BTW I loved the new Futaba radio. Everything was perfect. I was even able to mix some aileron into the thrust vectoring with the extra channels I had.

Glad to hear how pleased you are with your new 8FGA Super!

Bob
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
gunradd

Well now that the raptor is flying good it felt it was time to get the small things done needed to get more flight time in at the feild rather then messing with the plane.

The batteries are in the nose and I am soon going to install a scale cockpit. Removing the cockpit to install the batteries was going to be a pain. So I ended up installing a panel in the main engine hatch with dual receiver swithces one turbine switch and one nav light switch. Also since I am using A123s for the receiver and lipos for the navs and turbine ECU I went ahead and made balance charge points on the panel. I now have no need to get into the front canopy section accept after flying for the day I will remove the batteries for inspection if needed.

I also reinstalled the gear doors and repainted the belly of the plane due to the gear up landings from the dead sticks. I have a few more details so get done then I will be installing a scale cockpit. I will start with the one yellow sells. Its not a very well done cockpit from what I have seen and it will take some mods to bring it up to a decent scale panel. But its a nice start.

Everything is falling into place to burn lots of fuel at Kentucky jets!

Name:	Bz78395.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1760566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59372.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1760567  
Old 05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Was heading to change my nose tire and can't unscrew one of the two screws holding the axle, so the other one spins...I tried with another bolt but find the threads may be stripped.

Does anyone have a nose gear available to confirm the axle is just the rod with threads cut into each end or if there is a bearing within it?

Wondering if I have a situation I can fix pro if I need a new part.

Thanks
Dave
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Bob_B

Kris the Raptor is looking good. See you in july!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.