Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F22 Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F22 Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F22 Build

pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36207.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1729643   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23118.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1729644  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM
cycross

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gunradd, are those already your 2nd set of Tailormade decals? Your difficulty of application is surprisingly to hear.

Your paintwork is gorgeous, I really like how your metallic colors nicely blend in at the edges (Aggressor Grey?).
Will you be adding any dull coat after the decals?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 AM
gunradd

Thanks cycross.

I have dull coat on it now. Its a flat clear. In the shade the paint hardly looks metalic. Then you take it into the sun and it comes to life.
Yes this is the second set on decals. Tailormades service was great and I would still use them again but I feel they need more glue on the transfers.

For the edges I used 36375 Light Ghost Gray . For the gray panels on the fuselage like in front of the fuel probe doors I used Navy agressor gray. You could use the same gray on both but looking at pics of real ones they look a little different. Its funny looking at real raptors no 2 are the same paint and markings wise.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful work Gunn!!! The Yellow kits are very, very nice indeed and you did a fantastic job with the 22. Have fun with her

S
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Kris did you do the base paint work too?
Bob
Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 AM
cycross

You didn't tint the clear with blue per your initial intention?

Is there anything to watch out for during the kit build you might advise? I have some mods in mind for mine but got to see the kit in the flesh before taking that thought further.
Thanks.

Show us some indoor pics next time
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 AM
gunradd

Yes Bob I did it all.

No I did use the blue tint in the clear. I didn't feel it needed it. A few over the weekend I was flipping the plane over and some fuel leaked out of the vent and stripped the paint on the nose all the way down to the glass. So I was pretty upset needless to say and repainted the front half of the plane and shot a thick coat of the clear coat we use on our full scale helicopters here at work. So the fuel wont mess with the paint anymore.

For mods. I pretty much built the kit per instructions. Even the gear doors are totally stock and I have not had any problems. I do recommend screwing the out board main gear door hinge into the fuselage and not gluing it.

Also on the servo mounting the stock way did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I did it the stock way then drilled small holes into the side of the servo blocks and added some screws so that the screw heads held the servos into the blocks. You could also use some polyply from BVM to secure the servos. I have hed flutter on a plane in the past and did not want to mess with anything that might get play.

Tailormade is sending me a third set of transfers with a different amount of glue to try. I also got the new Ignitor for the turbine so no more glow plug.

During the build I fit the canopy frame perfect and it was nice and tight but I didn't have the window installed. Well after installing the window the canopy frame warped a little and did not fit well. I was unhappy with the gap so I went ahead and carefully removed the window and then re-glued it and installed it on the plane while it dried and it came out perfect with a great fit. So make sure you glue the window and install it on the plane to let it dry.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:57 AM
Shaun Evans

Chris,

You know what cracks me up about you? You'll go pull something apart and redo it because you don't like some little element of how it ended up. BTW, I've done that same thing with the canopy glass; where you have the frame all perfect then you warp it with the glass. Anyway, if mine came out a little off, I'd just accept that as God's will. You'll go strip and repaint a whole plane because a decal is a little off-center. I guess you're a real modeler.....

Also, I'd love some nice, posed, hi-res shots of your bird for my web site if you get time!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
gunradd

Thanks Shaun!

I will get some real good pics of it at FLjets next week. By then it should be all done. Today I bought some new yellow/gold metallic paint I am going to try to mix with some clear coat and give the tinting canopy with gold tint one more try. The gray tint looks ok but I still want to try and copy that gold tint.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:45 AM
gunradd

Cycross here are some pics of the plane inside out of the sun. When not in the sun you cant really even tell it has metallic paint.

Last night I shot some gold into the canopy. It looks ok but its hard to see the cockpit now. I have not seen it in the sun yet so will check that today. If it looks good in the sun I will leave it. It has a ton of little metal flakes on the inside and I hope the sun makes them stick out.

Name:	Vt58777.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1730619  
Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 AM
cycross

Awesome! Thanks Gunradd for sharing.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
BR289
My Feedback: (106)

Awesome build, gorgeous plane!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM
gunradd

Had a great time at FLjets with the raptor. She flew great! Only problem was I had 3 flame outs and lost the gear doors doing off feild landings dead stick. Will get new ones on order soon.

I was exploring the flight envelope more and its a great plane all around. I was able to do tight loops with the thrust vectoring and I then tried doing high alpha and it was a breeze and very stable. So I went ahead and tried hovering and agian the plane just sat thier perfectly stable. The best part is when you drop the nose like after hovering or a tight loop you can bring the nose back up with the thrust vectoring. Its a great slow flyer! I also have been taking it as fast as it can go and agian very solid. Its also probably one of the best landing and predicitable jets I have had.

I had to send my ECU back to jet central so my flying was cut short but I hope to get back to it in a few weeks. But I am totaly blown away with the performance of this plane going slow and fast. my 120 size turbine is plenty for this plane and I cant think of a single scale plane that was going any faster then the raptor. But it was a challenge getting out of that thick grass at FLjets. The plane used up around 650 to 700 feet of runway and was pulling full elevator the whole time to break the ground.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Ian R

Well done Chris,  but sorry to hear of your flame outs.

We said it was a great plane, although I have not approached a hover yet!!!!!

I had a flame out with mine last weekend and had to land out. This is a very strong plane with minimal damaged considering the "landing", many other models would have needed a major rebuild but the F22 just need cosmetics

looking forward to hearing more as you explore the flight envelope

Ian
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Told you so! Sorry you had some minor issues but sounds like you really gave it a workout. Getter done!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
cycross

Hi Gunradd, how did the gold speckled canopy effect turn out? Did it work for you?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
gunradd

Not really. at certain angels you can see the gold in the sun but it was not the effect I wanted. I might try something else when I get time but for now I am going to just leave it.

I was able to find the Pledge Future Floor wax. It worked great on the canopy for added clear coat. When I shot the light coat of gold paint inside the canopy it made it looks cloudy. After using the Future Floor wax it made it nice and clear agian.

Did you start the build yet?

I just got a new ECU toady and a new gas restrictor. I am going through the entire fuel system now to double check everything. Still not 100% sure what is giving me flame outs but will get to the bottom of it soon.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 AM
cycross

No I have not started, some parts are not in stock yet.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Bob_B

Kris I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the F22. You deserve it with all the hard work you put into this jet.
Sorry to read about the Electra that is so painful, as I lost my first Electra to a mysterious radio lock out too.
It sounds like your really digging flying a turbine jet?
Any plans for Jets over Ky yet???
Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 AM
gunradd

Bob I was just talking to the wife yesterday about Kentucky jets and right now it looks like a go!

I am loving flying turbine. I still want another electra because its so nice to just throw it in the truck and sneak a flight in on the way home from work and cant do that with the big F22.

Not sure how many days I would be at Kentucky jets yet but I hope to drive up on a Monday and stay until Sunday. It looks like a great event.

Cycross here are a few pics of the canopy. Cant really see the gold flake I guess unless you see it in person. Its not showing up in pics.

Name:	Ig13524.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1736653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17990.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1736654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19049.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1736655  
Old 03-09-2012, 06:18 AM
cycross

Thanks again for sharing pics on the canopy Gunradd.

When I read about your comment on the grass takeoff taking a long distance, I associated it with this interesting FBW behaviour of the F22 while taking off.
Take a look at the rudder deflection, in line with up-elevator input. It appears to take effect only when the following conditions exist: low but about takeoff speed, nosewheel on the ground. The retraction of the rudder deflections take place with a slight lag once the nose is weight off wheels. This doesn't seem to happen on landings though.

I got to say this is somewhat a 'guestimation' of mine. I can hardly find a practical way to implement this on a model, though it might help the pitching moment.

Just sharing. A picture speaks a thousand words. I think I am getting abit overly crazy about this plane.

Name:	Fd92942.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1736675  
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 AM
gunradd

Cool pic cycross. Its a great flying plane. I was amazed how stable and easy it is to fly. At Florida jets I was doing fast rolls from straight and level and then while rolling doing climbs like I do with my sport jet. Never had a scale plane that I can toss around the sky like a sport plane. After I get the engine to stay running I will really get to see what this plane can do. It really shines at slow speeds with the vectoring. I cant believe how much control you still have with the plane almost at a stand still.

After looking at a ton of raptor pics the flight controls do all kinds of weird stuff.

In your pic the rudders are acting like an elevator almost.

Some pics I have seen both ailerons pointed up and the elevators straight. I guess the computers on it do all kinds of things. If you watch a video of it doing the flat spin it will bring on elevator up and leave the other one neutral and the plane enters the spin at almost zero airspeed. Its an amazing plane for sure.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Bob_B

That would be awesome, especially since you have to pass on E-Jets this year.
Bob

ORIGINAL: gunradd

Bob I was just talking to the wife yesterday about Kentucky jets and right now it looks like a go!

I am loving flying turbine. I still want another electra because its so nice to just throw it in the truck and sneak a flight in on the way home from work and cant do that with the big F22.

Not sure how many days I would be at Kentucky jets yet but I hope to drive up on a Monday and stay until Sunday. It looks like a great event.

Cycross here are a few pics of the canopy. Cant really see the gold flake I guess unless you see it in person. Its not showing up in pics.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 AM
gunradd

I am already working on the wife to get an electra fund going so I might have another by Kentucky jets.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:20 PM
gunradd

Ok got the new ECU installed and took her to the feild today for a flight.

So far everytime at Florida jets right about at the 6 min mark is when the turbine would flame out.

So I had a great flight today and agian just after 6 mins of flying I had another flame out.........

So now I know its not the ECU. The UAT has no air inside it. ECU battery is full. I hceck it with the data terminal and it just shows a flame out. No receiver errors.

After the last flame out I broght the plane home and ran it from the tanks half full to almmost empty and no flame outs or other problems on the ground.

When the turbine flamed out I got a white puff out the back and it happend at about half throttle just after putting the gear down.

I am at a lost at this point in finding out why its flaming out. Next will be to top off the tanks and do a full throttle ground run from full until empty.

A friend got some video and I hope he will post it soon. It was pretty windy out but no problem for the raptor. I agian did some high alpha and hoverd for a bit. I also did a spin and it recovers pretty fast. The thrust vectoring is a very nice function and I am loving it.

I also have a new radio on the way. I got a Futaba 8FG super with 14 channels. So will be setting it up after I repair the nose gear formers yet again. Airframe wise I cant say enough good things about the plane. But these flameouts are getting to be a pain in the *****.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.