Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What makes a Jet Event really great ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What makes a Jet Event really great ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 AM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes a Jet Event really great ?

I have posted this question on another web site..as well. My local club is considering having a jet meet at our local airport... What comes to mind as the best/ worst features you've experienced at the meets you've attended. We're simply brainstorming ideas for our event and its organization.

Many Thanks

Bill
Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What makes a Jet Event really great ?

1. Flying from dawn to dusk
2. No Noon time demos
3. A great flight line crew
4. Ask Lewis Patton for any advise he may have, Kentucky Jets has become one of the best!
Ron
Old 11-23-2011, 04:13 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

Having Ali there makes a good show 'Great'
Old 11-23-2011, 04:39 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Timing. there are tons of jet rally's anymore. trying to find a good date that does not conflict with others.......
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: philip noel

Having Ali there makes a good show 'Great'
+1 not just Ali tho, it's all about the people.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Safety on the flightline. Plenty of pit space a safe distance from the runway.
Tent cover provided free to registered pilots.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:21 AM
RSO

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Canopies, tents parallel to flightline.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The people.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

The people.
+1
Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Danno Massey, Bob Covish, Bill Kenny, Bob Price and the rest of the TX gang. Throw in the MS gang and you've got a spetacular event. You ain't never seen a jet rally until you been with these guys. Rallies should pay to have these guys there....you'll bust a gut laughing!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

I agree with everything said so far....let me add this:

How about ditching the $50 registration fee....I mean really, that's over the top IMO. I costs me 100 bucks for me and my son just to sign in....add in fuel costs to get to an event, and all the other expenses and it gets expensive fast. There is nothing you can do about travel expenses but you can control the entry costs. Heck, I can stay home and fly for free....

I have been going to fun flys since the early 80's and I remember a five to ten buck entry fee. I am not sure how we got to 50????

Oh, the auction that we seem to be trending to can go as well....
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
BillJ

GREAT ...GREAT COMMENTS... I GREATLY APPRECIATE THE INPUT.... HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE FOOD ? On site vendor at a resonable price , catered included in pilot fee..catered optional add on ? We're also close to fast food about 5 mins out off site too . Sit down at local towns at 10 mins away
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The other thing would be working with the hotels to get some special event rates for the pilots who don't have motorhomes or campers.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM
RobinLeblond

Bill, If you do it, let me know, I will go... We really need a Jet rally here in the north (and near Qc, Canada for us)...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM
RobinLeblond

Also, I ask the same question some time ago, here is the thread :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98..._1/key_/tm.htm

Have a look, you will find some more info...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

The people make any event, and no drama since some people forget this is a hobby and it should be fun.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:30 AM
BillJ

Thank you for the link....Lots of good info
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 PM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Food, if you include food with a pilot fee then it should be edible.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep the spectators out of the pits.

Skip the noon demo's.

Nice to have a free lunch.

I don't need another shirt, hat, etc.

Event fees are getting annoying.

I hate wearing a big number on my back for the announcer.

If you're going to have music and announcers, make sure the speakers are located away from the flight line and especially not near or pointing at the pilot stations.  People come for the jet noise.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:19 PM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

The people make any event, and no drama since some people forget this is a hobby and it should be fun.
Two thumbs up. I just came home from Markham Park jet rally in Florida, the weather did not cooperate, the turnout was not fantastic, but the people and the friendships there made a great time. If you build it, they will come.............

Richard
Old 11-23-2011, 03:00 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with thud driver. Make the pilot parking a priority over spectators.
ORIGINAL: Thud_Driver

Keep the spectators out of the pits.

Skip the noon demo's.

Nice to have a free lunch.

I don't need another shirt, hat, etc.

Event fees are getting annoying.

I hate wearing a big number on my back for the announcer.

If you're going to have music and announcers, make sure the speakers are located away from the flight line and especially not near or pointing at the pilot stations. People come for the jet noise.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Well we just had the 20th anniversary Mississippi Afterburner this past year, unfortunately I missed most of it due to Tornado damage at home the day we were setting up.

What we have done, is focused on the pilots, spectators are nice they help pay the bills, and contribute to the scholarship program we setup at the college.

We negotiate room rates at hotels, (Actually Dawn Ellzey does it for us) we have the full support of the school that owns the airport, we have an Airport manager that is not only an aviation buff but also a she wants to make sure tha the pilots are happy. We have a unique runway/ taxiway situation 2 taxiways that fom a v into the main runway. We setup the tents on either side of the v so everyone has taxiway access to pit.

Jet A and turbine oil onsite. We have a concessions guy that is also a local modeler, that donates his proceeds back to the event and in turn to the scholarship program. Enough space for A large RV contingent, this is very important in my opinion, some of us have invested big bucks into our RV's and they house all of our planes, and support equipment. Ours is fairly unique in that the Texas Gang, and us typically cook every night as a group.

We have a big cooking for the Saturday night dinner/awards banquet, hog roast, fried catfish, and I cook a bunch of crawfish, we have homemade cobblers and ice cream. Great food and fellowship and it's included with the pilot fee. Breakfast is cooked at the field just about every morning, again by the Texas folks and Vernon, and anyone else we can sucker into it.

And last but not least you get to hang out with the world famous Mississippi Gang, down to two rednecks that love to fly jets and know what southern hospitality is all about. It's drama free, other than whatever crap we can cook up.

You will pay for a tent, or bring your own, and there is a pilot fee, you won't leave hungry unless you don't eat, you will have a good time.

Planning, you need porta potties, crowd control, flight line control, garbage control, parking control, access to hotels, access to food, good location, and a good place to fly, pay particular attention to sun, and prevailing wind directions, airplane storage (we have a hanger, and transportation to and from the hanger) crash cart, and ample fire suppression equipment I case the unfortunate crash happens, last butane most important the support of your friends tha also fly jets.

DR
Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 PM
BillJ

Thanks again for the Great input..... It's really very helpful.........David R ...Does your airport shut down for the event...Or do you provide Notam that ther is an event and that a plane may have to hang in the pattern until Runway is clear ?

Bill
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

I agree with everything said so far....let me add this:

How about ditching the $50 registration fee....I mean really, that's over the top IMO. I costs me 100 bucks for me and my son just to sign in....add in fuel costs to get to an event, and all the other expenses and it gets expensive fast. There is nothing you can do about travel expenses but you can control the entry costs. Heck, I can stay home and fly for free....

I have been going to fun flys since the early 80's and I remember a five to ten buck entry fee. I am not sure how we got to 50????

Oh, the auction that we seem to be trending to can go as well....
I am not sure ditching the $50 fee will go away, I guess it all depends on what type of show your looking to have. The entry fee for at least my experience CDing Best In The West helps cover event cost. Every registered pilot received a BITW bag with a shirt, and friday night BBQ ticket, 2010, I did not have the friday night BBQ, but I gave all pilots 2 food tickets, one for friday and one for saturday, among other items I put in bag from sponsors. There is also web site cost, announcer and equipent (PA)cost and Tents, tents for registration, Gate, spectators lunch area, announcers tent, table and chairs for the tents and spectators chairs. We also have fencing to buy, Trophies, water and lunch for the club volunteers, Porta Poties, signs, advertisement, etc,etc,etc, the list goes on. CD's will have cost even at the smallest event they have, if anyone needs a cost breakdown please PM me and I will be more than welcome to go over event cost, add all this up, if you dont get the spectators to attend and buy food, you will take a loss, I know I have. Lets not forget the hundreds of hours to organize an event Joe C!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 06:52 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I think what Joe is saying, there is alot of overhead to having a large 4 day event. The auction is needed to offset the expenses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.