Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First jet for a good pilot?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First jet for a good pilot?

Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First jet for a good pilot?

No one mentioned the Tuano. Does it all, fast, slow, aerobatic, great on grass (trailing link gears), no gear doors , good size, good looking and a great kit. The only down side, a little expensive.

K.O.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KC36330

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

......they become giant vacuum cleaners...any grass clippings, or leaves will find their way into your intake and FOD your engine or plug up the screen.
A Tam's Super Hornet.
HOLY CRAP!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:40 PM
rcand

I think the Eurosport, like from C-Arf would be a great choice for a first timer and for grass.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: KC36330

A Tam's Super Hornet.

Ouch! I wonder how many little sticks made it into the engine.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Ouch! I wonder how many little sticks made it into the engine.
the ones that did were pretty much harmless. the compressor doesn't have a scratch/nick on it anywhere other the from balancing, that pic was about 2 yrs back, it went to service this last summer (38 hrs and only then because i was in the midst of an airframe rework and swapping the turbine to a different airframe) and only required a set of bearings.

But the point was YES, hornets are runway vacuums.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Hi I have 5 jets 2 Rafales 1 Gripen 1 L-39 1 F-22 and the best carf Eurofighter just the best off all fast and slow scale and sport jet in one and I using only P-120 no problems .
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 AM
rcpete2

Dave,I sold my King Cat last year and did a new one,that is a very good one to start with. You will never go wrong with a BVM jet.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

I'm with KC...with the OP's background, get a Flash. Wish I'd have got one instead of a SM L-39.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Bravo77

Good advice
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Hi Mustang51,

I have been flying turbine jets for 11 years now, and I would suggest you get a Aermacchi MB-339. I have been flying one for about four years and it is a scale jet, but flies like a trainer. Uses trailing link struts and lands like a Cub. There are about three different sizes out now. The one Im flying is from C&C Models of Italy. They make a composite one now, mine was from a kit. Very easy jet to handle. Just remember, flying fast is not all a jet requires.........

Larry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20320.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1698877  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 AM
marc s

A trainer that looks like a normal sport jet - just launched and ideal for the 'first' turbine.

Called the Gryphon, P70-P120 type power will fly it nicely, huge full length hatch to make access easy for all equipment, highly pre-built, composite, installed full ducting, tank, pipe, painted outside mould so no seam lines.
Equipment can be 'economical' in terms of gear etc.

If the bright colours are not your thing, it is also available in plain colours, and I will supply a range of simple decal designs to bring it to life but leave you to change it when you want something fresh - saves painting!

marcs

[link]http://www.gbrjet.com[/link]

Name:	Lj23686.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1698878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69180.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1698879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51503.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1698880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82705.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1698881  
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Ramz

What about the Comp ARF new rookie? A buddy of mine just got one for this first turbine jet and it looks really nice. From what I have seen it lands at a crawl and behaves really well in the air. Anybody have experience with this airframe? It isn't scale but it will haul with a 30lb turbine. I myself started out with a Modellbau Tornado but I feel you would get bored of this pretty quickly as it is almost too easy to fly (which makes it a great trainer). What kind of strip to you fly off of?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
rctech2k7
My Feedback: (1)

F-15, 16 & 18 are challenging and you're gonna love these jet. For grass operation you might need some increase in flaps or if possible more powerful engine... You also need screen because FOD most likely to suck into the intake. Look like you have a big chance of success based on your experience, the least might be a broken gear...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

I fly a Eurosport of grass with no problem....I also have a DV8R with a P-120 thats nice off grass...flys great and can teach you a few things about landing a heavier jet without busting the plane or your wallet.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Flash, Bandit, Bobcat, Kingcat, Eurosport, etc.

The biggest difference you'll have to figure out is planning your flight further ahead of what you're doing right this moment. Landing isn't hard, but it does required more planning and setup.

Don't EVER try to 'save' a bad approach. All you'll do is something dumb and smack the airplane around or land off field or some other nonsense. The correct way to salvage a bad approach is power up, gear up, flaps to take-off and go around.

Learn this rule. Commit it to memory. Then do it again - Elevator controls airspeed, Throttle controls descent rate. Fly your jet this way, and you can literally handle anything, heavy or not.

Oh.. and when the airplane is about to land.. try to hold it off as long as possible at around 2" altitude. The reason people bounce jets, and seem to love trailing link landing gear, is they try to force the airplane onto the ground when it's still flying.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
wxman2
My Feedback: (52)

What about an Airworld Turbo Raven.....

Iwill be recieving my SPT5 V3.0 this Thrusday for my AirTrade Turbo Raven.

Just don't buy anything from Airtrade.pl; long story

Name:	Om33125.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1699099  
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Flash, Bandit, Bobcat, Kingcat, Eurosport, etc.

The biggest difference you'll have to figure out is planning your flight further ahead of what you're doing right this moment. Landing isn't hard, but it does required more planning and setup.

Don't EVER try to 'save' a bad approach. All you'll do is something dumb and smack the airplane around or land off field or some other nonsense. The correct way to salvage a bad approach is power up, gear up, flaps to take-off and go around.

Learn this rule. Commit it to memory. Then do it again - Elevator controls airspeed, Throttle controls descent rate. Fly your jet this way, and you can literally handle anything, heavy or not.

Oh.. and when the airplane is about to land.. try to hold it off as long as possible at around 2'' altitude. The reason people bounce jets, and seem to love trailing link landing gear, is they try to force the airplane onto the ground when it's still flying.

+1.. This is the best advice I've ever seen posted..

Thanks Doug, it is worth posting often.

Roger
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM
toprudder

I've flown RC for 38 years, including various types of competition. I just started flying turbines this year (Shockjet). Here are my observations.

1) Throttle lag. Ok, should be pretty obvious, but it ALWAYS seems to lag more when you decide to abort a landing. [X(] I found, at least on my Shockjet, that full flaps and a long-low approach require a little throttle to maintain, and it spools up much quicker from partial throttle than it does from full idle. If you have flaps and/or crow, use it. Don't try a steep approach and flair, make a lower approach and use throttle to maintain it.

2) Elevator response. Several things combine to cause a difference in elevator response from the other type of planes I have flown. No prop blast over the tail. Smaller surfaces. Shorter tail moment (typically). And one that took me a while to realize is the larger moment of inertia. Since the jets typically have the turbine close to the trailing edge of the wing, the nose has to be long and a lot of equipment is placed up there to make the plane balance. This increases the planes response time to elevator input and, if you are used to flying more aerobatic type planes, may cause you to overcontrol the elevator and balloon the plane when flaring. Again, doing a long low approach reduces the amount of flair needed and mitigates the problem to a large extent.

Just my observations, FWIW.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 AM
ricardinho

all depending on your skill. i would look at a reaction or boomerang elan... i think a flash might be a little agressive for a first jet..my opinion....get something with a not so much swept wing ....remember the landing is where the skill comes in and you dont want a monster for your first landing....good luck
Old 12-18-2011, 05:41 AM
ricardinho

there great but not everybody wants to fork out that kind of money on there first jet.. buy something rtf get about 100 flights on it then buy your beauty....i think the boomer elan is the best first jet....
Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 AM
ricardinho

WELL SAID!!!