Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hardest to fly jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hardest to fly jet

Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 AM
cmp3cantrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dbsonic;11600646]a lot of the internal combustion ducted fan models. Many were underpowered and flying on the edge of stall right after takeoff and throughout the flight... too rich, or too lean and then end up deadstick a lot. Any jet with short wings that didn't glide... that was the hardest jet to fly.[/QUOTnreE]

Any ICDF model with a big cheater hole underneath - eg Krick Folland Gnat (see nearby thread..).
Try with a conservative cg - it won't lift off (suction) move cg back - lift off +instant crash. Get cg just right - no lift off again - until you give up and throttle back then it lifts off but now too late to throttle up again. All built up model took a year to put together and 3-4 years of disastrous attempts to fly.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:19 AM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst one I built was the F-14, that Bob Kress and I did together, in 1987. I landed with the wings in the swept back position, because they wouldn't sweep back forward. It sank like a rock when I came back on the power, and was still fast when I tried to flair. When I finally got it on the ground, I ran out of runway. Later I found the locking mechanics, wouldn't unlock.