Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Flash Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Flash Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:22 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Flash Conversion

Guys, looking to leverage experience of those who have converted their flash to an ultra flash.

Can you give me some pointers on fitting the new wing and stab? How to get everything lined up properly. Gotcha's and things to look for....

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 PM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Ultra Flash Conversion

I would like to know also. Thinking of converting mine to an Ultra.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When I upgraded mine the wing dowels were off by nearly half the diameter with the fuselage holes. I had to plug the dowel holes and re-drill in order to get them aligned right. I then sanded the dowels a lot using a hand held drill with the dowel mounted in it and some sand paper. I powered the drill and held the sand paper against the dowels for a few minutes until I removed enough material to get them to fit in the pre installed holes in the fuselage. Once I got the wing and stab mounted I checked the M4 mounting hole alignment with the fuselage holes and all where aligned except for one. I had to slot that hole in the stab to get enough room to pass the screw down to the threaded side in the fuselage. Everything else went pretty smooth, but I questioned whether it was worth it for the upgrade price. After I flew it a few times with the new wing and stab I was glad I did it. The flight envelope with my p-120SE is just amazing. Landings are so much better/easier too. Jet looks better in my opinion as well. I would recommend doing the upgrade if you can afford it or just by the entire UF new from C-ARF.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

One other thing, I have Robart 630 retracts and I had to grind down a former in the wing to get the retract to sit flat on the gear mounts. That whole area is much more open for retract mounting in the wing, but still had to grind a bit. I have the dreamworks trailing link struts and I tapped two M4 holes in each strut in order to mount the narrow gear cover directly to it. I did this instead of trying to install the curved well to keep the air from entering the wing. I haven't had any issues. Lastly, the flap and aileron servo mounts had to be redone because the covers on the new wing are bigger than the original flash, so it is not a direct drop-in fit, which I thought it was when I bought it. Anyway, it's more work than you think it is which is really what I'm trying to say.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

yeah, I dry fitted mine and nothing is lining up....more work I guess....
Old 12-16-2011, 11:40 PM
PHIL GREENO

As a Classic Flash flyer I did consider buying a Ultra flash conversion but decided agaist it.

With all the hassle of alignment etc it is just not worth it for the small performance gain, it is not as if the CF is a dog far from it.

Far better to sell the airframe to someone moving up from say a Boomerang and buy a new kit.

In the UK a CF airframe including retracts but no turbine/radio sellsfrom about £1000.00/$1600.00 with no shortage of punters.

I am considering a new fast sports jet for next year so the UF is on my list but I might just buy a Bandit ARF as I have always wanted one after to seeing the first Bandit in the UK

fly 13 years ago.

Phil.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 AM
killerG
My Feedback: (32)

So how much is the conversion kit? I just had a bad landing with mine last weekend and just about ripped the flaps off. Figured it might be a good time to make it an UF. With all the issues I might just fix the flaps. Might be eaiser just getting new UF kit.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: PHIL GREENO

As a Classic Flash flyer I did consider buying a Ultra flash conversion but decided agaist it.

With all the hassle of alignment etc it is just not worth it for the small performance gain, it is not as if the CF is a dog far from it.

Far better to sell the airframe to someone moving up from say a Boomerang and buy a new kit.

In the UK a CF airframe including retracts but no turbine/ radio sells from about £1000.00/$1600.00 with no shortage of punters.

I am considering a new fast sports jet for next year so the UF is on my list but I might just buy a Bandit ARF as I have always wanted one after to seeing the first Bandit in the UK

fly 13 years ago.

Phil.
Have you flown an ultra flash?? Big performance gain. Not small.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:12 AM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Guys, looking to leverage experience of those who have converted their flash to an ultra flash.

Can you give me some pointers on fitting the new wing and stab? How to get everything lined up properly. Gotcha's and things to look for....

Thanks!
The conversion was simple. Dropped the conversion kit off at a master builder's shop and picked it up two wks later. One click o aileron trim was all it needed.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

D made a funny, HA.

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Thanks!
The conversion was simple. Dropped the conversion kit off at a master builder's shop and picked it up two wks later. One click o aileron trim was all it needed.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

Have you flown an ultra flash?? Big performance gain. Not small.

Doug,

i was giving some thought to converting one of mine to an Ultra but wondered just how much performance gain it would be, you fly with a Titan SE also so i'd like your input please.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's not being funny. S
Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Just wondering what all comes with the conversion kit. Can't really find that information on the Comp Arf web site.

I know the wing and stabs, but does the conversion include new servo mounts and covers for the wing and stabs. Also how about the stuf to make linkages and the linkage covers.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Just wondering what all comes with the conversion kit. Can't really find that information on the Comp Arf web site.

I know the wing and stabs, but does the conversion include new servo mounts and covers for the wing and stabs. Also how about the stuf to make linkages and the linkage covers.

Comes with all of the above.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:46 PM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: GSR

He's not being funny. S

Old 12-18-2011, 03:52 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)