Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: FUTABA 18MZ HAS ARRIVED

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

Kevin, I like your idea of one pack to run multiple hubs in the rear, that didn't cross my mind!
    I think it would work fine, but it does negate (to an extent) the some of the main benefit of the bus system (less wiring). Basically you would be running two different buses, a signal bus, and a power bus. Probably less wiring than the old system, and you could supply power through larger gauge wire to the servos that use the most amps.

Kevin Whitlow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a great idea but it still doesn't solve the problem of battery redundacy. If that single battery fails then you still lose power to all the servos connected to the hubs. You could have 2 batteries (and possibly some form of battery backer) with twin leads to power both hubs. This would at least reduce the number of batteries back to 2 (plus 2 for the Rx) but it isn't a 'clean' solution that the S-Bus system is designed to promote.

I guess the options are to go without battery redundancy, trust that the S-Bus cables can cope with the power requirements and just supply power to the receiver, or add more complexity in terms of Powerbox type equipment or battery backers.

It would be helpful if Futaba would, at least, release specifications of what power the S Bus receivers/cables/plugs can cope with or, even better, engineer a proper solution as Kevin suggests, with a decent high power supply bus including built-in redundant battery system and a seperate signal bus.

I do use S-Bus but I limit it to small servos such as gear/brakes and non-critical functions. I wonder how many people out there are actually using its full capabilities as Futaba intended.
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Power plugged into hubs will back feed to the rx. So you do get redundancy.

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

ORIGINAL: siclick33

With regards to the batteries, do they only supply power to the servos plugged in the same hub where the battery is plugged in? Does that mean that if you want redundancy, as a lot of people do, then you would need a second battery pack (and regulator) at each of the 2 hubs and the receiver. That means a total of 6 packs and 6 regulators[X(]

I would be more tempted to use a Powerbox with only 2 batteries up front.
    Great point. It only supplies power to the servos in that hub. Steve, can you comment? I feel a little naive in jumping on this for the reasons I did only to find out that for bigger applications, it might not be as simple as I thought it would be.

My bobcat is wired for it and it was slick, one wire down by the tanks from the rx, and then one wire to each wing opening.. thats it. I'm not worried about power consumption on this plane. On the vectored thrust mig with 14 servos or the 1/3 scale gas plane I'm building right now, I am very concerned about power. Can Futaba chime in here?

Kevin, I like your idea of one pack to run multiple hubs in the rear, that didn't cross my mind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: siclick33

That's a great idea but it still doesn't solve the problem of battery redundacy. If that single battery fails then you still lose power to all the servos connected to the hubs. You could have 2 batteries (and possibly some form of battery backer) with twin leads to power both hubs. This would at least reduce the number of batteries back to 2 (plus 2 for the Rx) but it isn't a 'clean' solution that the S-Bus system is designed to promote.

I guess the options are to go without battery redundancy, trust that the S-Bus cables can cope with the power requirements and just supply power to the receiver, or add more complexity in terms of Powerbox type equipment or battery backers.

It would be helpful if Futaba would, at least, release specifications of what power the S Bus receivers/cables/plugs can cope with or, even better, engineer a proper solution as Kevin suggests, with a decent high power supply bus including built-in redundant battery system and a seperate signal bus.

I do use S-Bus but I limit it to small servos such as gear/brakes and non-critical functions. I wonder how many people out there are actually using its full capabilities as Futaba intended.

Amen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I disagree
    The hubs and terminals, are a simple connector unless you are talking of the S-bus decoder terminal. The battery can be placed any where you want. There are no diodes or switching, a really simple and safe setup.

I would prefer not to place the reciever between the battery and the rest of the setup. Instead place the battery where you need it, and then to a hub, where the current can be dispersed, rather than in a long series. If you use a single A123 pack, and good crimps, or good solder techniques, then extra sources can only cause extra sources of problems, and shorts. I wouldnt go redundant unless you have a Pilot or SmartFly or similar designed set up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In my Ultra Flash I am using a SmartFly BatShare. One lead is going into thr rx the other is going to the hub. I am only using sBus for the wings 4 channels and steering. The rest of the plane is plugged into channels a 1-6 on the rx.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got my new 18MZ yesterday and transfered all the information and setups from my old 14MZ. Today in the morning when went to use it with my Decathlon 47%, I noticed that some of the functions weren't working. I did try another plane and I had the same problem.

When comparing the function screen of both radios I noticed that some of the functions were different in the 18MZ...... now I will have to check all my planes and make sure that both screens are the same.

Have somebody have this kind of problem when transfering their information ? I thought that all the information was copied and the configuration was going to be kept the same. For me, this wasn't the case.

Tomorrow I'm planning to fly my MB-339 and I will make sure that the info in both radios is the same before even I do the checks in the field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine all seemed to copy exactly the same as on the 14. I didn't check the real simple 4 channel setups on some of the smaller park flyer stuff but did a detail stare and compare on my Jets and other planes that use multiple channels and mixes. All the same.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check that your channel allocations are the same on both radios, one of the nice features is the ability to allocate any channel to any function on high end Futaba Tx's.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

New software for the 18MZ has just been released! Version 2.2 adds additional telemetry functionality and corrects the integrated timer.

You can find the update here: http://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html

Be sure to refresh your browser if you don't see version 2.2 listed.

Steve
    Steve Kaluf
    Hobbico

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me why the sound function (when I record something like "flaps down" etc) is sometimes loud and other times soft when it is activated?

Cheers,

Jan
    It is always pilot error.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now that this radio has been out for about a year, has anyone experienced issues with their 18mz?

I know the 14 had screen issues and pot issues but what about the 18?

I am planning of picking one up soon and was curious.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used mine throughout the spring and summer with no problems. LOVE the long battery life compared to the 14.

Wiring my mig-29 right now for sbus. I ended up with two A123 2600 packs. One regulated to the rx, the other has three leads coming out of the regulator, and it plugs into three hubs in the back of the plane. The front pack runs the rx, two electronic valves, nose servo, rudder.ailerons and flaps, the rear runs the four vectored thrust servos and the two big 400oz elevator servos. I am still leary of knowing how the packs distribute juice to everything. I will do some bench tests with full packs then go back and see how much is drawn out of them. Not very high tech, but I think it will tell me what I want to know.

I wish they sold hubs with more than four ports. You lose two of them supplying power and info to the hub! I liked the looks of that robbe stuff, but the whole reason I was attracted to Sbus was the simplicity. So cool having one wire from the nose to the back of the plane to run 12 servos!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They are not A123's if they are 2600Mah, genuine A123's come in 2300 and 1100Mah only, there where rumours of 2500Mah, but as far as I know they are not available.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Electrodynamics has new 2500 series B A123 packs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL, its whatever fromeco sells. My 20 month old has a cold, crying about every five minutes all last night. My sleep deprived brain was off a few hundred mah, my apologies...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Double post
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

Electrodynamics has new 2500 series B A123 packs.
    Link: http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/EDNano/index.shtml they have based the 2500 series packs on A123 technology and cells, so as I said two posts above genuine A123 packs are only available in 2300Mah and 1100Mah, you will also note that the words A123 on their store site is in brackets i.e. (A123).

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Curious. My 18 came with the single case. Where can I purchase a double case like this one?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I knew you would end up buying one

AM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have swapped an 18mz, I have a 10cg. .. After playing with it Im glad I never paid retail money for it.. Although it is a very capable radio it's not worth 2150 quid!

Scott
    siddus74

http://www.leenvalleymodelflyingclub.co.uk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Resistance is futile......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had a chance to properly play with it ... its ok ... im going to keep it, at least until the spring ....

Scott.
    siddus74

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi 18MZ owners ... Can anybody give me the heads on setting up / using the telemetry on the 18MZ with the R7008SB receiver ... Its bound and working but no voltage reading from the RX battery ... I presume I need additional sensors for the other readings ..

Anybody using this successfully and to its full capacity? Be interested in a brief run down on the how and what you need etc etc.

Scott.

siddus74

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott, make sure you are in the 18 or 12 channel FASSTest mode to receive telemetry data.

Steve

ORIGINAL: siddus74

Hi 18MZ owners ... Can anybody give me the heads on setting up / using the telemetry on the 18MZ with the R7008SB receiver ... Its bound and working but no voltage reading from the RX battery ... I presume I need additional sensors for the other readings ..

Anybody using this successfully and to its full capacity? Be interested in a brief run down on the how and what you need etc etc.

Scott.

Steve Kaluf
    Hobbico

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast