Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Turbine Jet Trainer- Is it necessary?

Just want to let you know that I have decided to get a turbine trainer.
    No shame in that, turbine systems will be a big difference to what you are probably used to &
    operating them for the first time is a thrill all by itself. The worst that can happen is you will
    have a spare model which you can sell later or use as a backup if you damage your 'good' model
    the weekend before that big jet fly in. When you think about it a turbine trainer is not really a
    flying trainer, most are the equivalent of a big, heavy pattern model to fly.

I was looking at the DVR-8.. What is your opinion about this one?
    I thought it was good model but it was only available as a full kit at that time & it was too big
    for my engine (Wren SS). I downloaded the original PCM models instruction book & built a smaller
    version which I still fly 5 years later, it's an easy flyer & it's served me well.

I cannot speak about the ARF version, from what I've seen on RCU it's a good flying model but
    suffers from the usual chinese balsa ARF quality issues. Most owners seem to love them. - John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My 2 bits...
    Like you, I am working on getting my first turbine (shh, the local guys think I'm full of it).
    I am fortunate to have several local guys who fly turbines (some of the best people I ever had the pleasure of meeting). They allow me to bug them with all sorts of questions, taking pictures of their setups, capturing every angle of the startup procedure, etc. The 2 fields I frequent have 400ft paved runways (about 100ft runoff on each end) and a grass runway next to it.

I had the pleasure of flying a DV8R (kit version) on a buddy box (actually, this is where I got hooked flying turbines). This plane has it all, nerf bombs, parachutes, and lots of smoke. I believe its powered with a 20lb turbine, but weighs a lot more on takeoff (not exactly sure, but I think he says 40+ with smoke oil). But, even with the weight, it tracks beautifully thru the air, much like a pattern ship. No bad tendencies. You do notice the weight in the turns (have to be easy in the turns until you burn some fuel and smoke oil off). The only issue I have with it (if you want to call it one) is that it does not knife edge well.

At my main field, there is one guy with a Boomerang (I believe its the Sprint). He flies the snot out of it. I talk to him all the time, he just loves it. He says he will never sell it, wants to always keep one to throw around.

I did get to fly a Falcon 120 (predecessor to the Tornado) on glo power. Although its not with a turbine, this plane flies really good, no bad tendencies. Good aerobatics. Really easy to land.

I have seen several Flash'es flying. All I can say is WOW. Hi performing, flies fast, lands slow, does everything you ask. Great flying plane. Everyone seems to think they make a great first/second jet.

I am still deciding on what I will get. Right now, based on how I want to fly (aerobatic), it will be a sport/trainer type. My current list is:

DV8R - Reasonably priced, good flying characteristics (except for knife edge). Lands slow. Transportation will be a problem (too big for current vehicle). Balsa construction. Priced a little out of my budget.

Flash - Currently top on list, but cost is out of my budget.

Some flavor of Boomerang - Priced good, great flyer, lands slow, easy to transport. Balsa (I know it has some, not sure how much). Cost definitely in my budget.

MBA Tornado - Best price value. Seems to fly great, slow landing. easy to transport. Balsa wings. If I choose this one, may get the composite one.

Turbinator - Not crazy about the look (I know, its just me). But after watching David Shulman fly his arf version it quickly stopped looking like an ugly duckling and became a beautiful swan, and jumped to the top of my list (I know, he can make a turbine strapped to a brick look good). Big. Good price. Breaks down to fit in my vehicle. Great flying. Slow landing. Great aerobatics. Balsa/Oracover.

BVM Bandit - Not on current list, just felt it deserved to be mentioned. Its the plane I'm working up to, not what I want to start out with. Plus, if I were to crash it you would see me bawling like a baby. I place it slightly higher than the Flash.

F22 - Same as bandit for me (not sure which brand). Just not sure which way I would go after my first. Heck, I may change my mind again before its all over.

As for the turbine, 80N (or 100N) is what I'm shooting for. Current ones I'm considering are: Jetcat, Kingtech, Jet Central, Jet Munts, Wren.

Hope this helps some.
    Lawn dart professional...
    Revver Bro #200

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some things to consider from the last post, the Tornado is not all composite it only has a glass fus this is true of the new version comming out shortly as well, the upgrade is just fully sheeted wings, when you de-rig the Tornado the wheels come off with it so it can not sit in your car on its wheels, the booms fit on top of the wings so also have to be removed, this entails removing the tail as well, this means aileron, flaps, rudders (2 off) and elevator (2 off) plugs to connect during rigging.

Sprint, the wing tips come off and leave the wheels behind on a stub wing this means it can sit on them in the car, the booms are fitted on dowels into the stub wings so do not have to come off if your car is big enough this also means the tail stays on as well, all this means only the ailerons to connect when rigging.

I have a Falcon 120 converted to turbine and a Sprint, due to the rigging issues the Falcon does not come out very often and the Sprint gets flown a lot, not as much as my P20 Duckty, but still a lot.

Duckty is too small for a trainer.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

another trainer thought before stepping up to the plate ..

if you have not flown any type of rc jets , (edf, pusher prop, or turbine)

is training on "habu 32" by eflight, EDf , a worth while investment in cost and time ?

or if getting a well behaved trainer turbine jet anyway , might as well jump in and put the money/time which would have gone to "habu 32" towards the trainer turbine jet ?

another line of thought on path to flying turbine jets ..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would not rate the flash at all especially for a first turbine, boomerang is the only way to go it is only when you start flying them you realise just how good they are. It would take a very big sum of money to prise my intro out of my hands.
    One jet that has impressed me a lot this year is the elan if you fancy a more composite look then this is the best buy, easy to fly and will do anything any other sport jet will do, be a long time before you will out fly it.

If budget is low then tornado/falcon 120 conversion.

On the turbine front, best buys for power/price etc are the Merlin 140/JC cheetah/kingtech 140 will give you a good range for moving into something else later, if on a budget then P80/kingtech 80/VT80. P80 would probably be my choice as it is really a 100 in thrust output, just a bit bigger and heavier than the others.
    www.letterkennymodelflyingclub.com
    www.jmaireland.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only problem with the EDF Habu route is it bears no resemblance to flying a proper jet weighing upwards of 20 lbs. The turbine Habu is probably closer but you will have to spend over Β£2000 to get one in the air, money I would rather put towards a decent second hand purchase, my balsa Bobcat cost me about Β£1500, flying. I have flown it over 200 times and when its in the air with a Boomerang does two laps to the Boomers one. Yes the boomerangs are easy to fly that's why there are hundreds of them floating about the sky, if you took your average Boomerang flyer and asked him to fly a Flash/Bandit type sport jet they would really struggle. This isn't a criticism it's just "horses for courses" and once again comes down to the individual flyers ability.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

If budget is low then tornado/falcon 120 conversion.

On the turbine front,....... if on a budget then ... kingtech 80.

That's the combo I would go with. You can be in the air for $2500 or less.

There has been a bunch of threads asking about the Habu 32. Honestly... I don't think it's a "Turbine Trainer" at all. There is more to flying a turbine jet than speed. I've said this more than once... but I fly my stuff at well under 100 MPH most of the time, just because that's how I fly. The turbine trainer is to teach you how to fly a heavy model, start and manage a Turbine engine, and fire safety.

As you already said... the money spent to properly set up a Habu 32 will go a long way in setting up your Turbine model.

Just my 2 cents.
    Tony
    Owner of A&L Motorsports, LLC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

I would not rate the flash at all especially for a first turbine.............
    ORIGINAL: eastern
    .......if you took your average Boomerang flyer and asked him to fly a Flash...... they would really struggle.
    i disagree with both of those, a big block Flash is NOT for the beginner, but the small block setups can and do make great first jets. the Flash is also not that much more $$$ then the Elan and it's 10x more durable and will take anything you throw at it in the air and it's next to impossible to rip the gear out of one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is my honest opinion on your question. You should start with something simple but still decent , but you are looking for an aircraft that is easy to handle hardware wise and flying as well . Jet flying is complicated , but not difficult.
    When I started i went with looks and fancy , after years of unsucess I had to start from the beginning with something simple .
    Now after over 65 flights last year without an incident I am now ready for fancy .Honestly listen to the other comments and please go the simple route unless you do not care how many times you crash while learning . You see every time one crashes it puts you back a few steps and if you back up too much it will affect your flying skills . I have seen experienced pilots buy a fancy jet and end up with a heap of problems all because they have not heeded good advice .

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a video made ​​Modellbau, great initiatives jet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1OJtEOQUVs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After reading the posts on this you will no doubt have realised that Jet flyers are very passionate and single minded about their chosen model. I do hope you find a club or individual who will guide you and give you solid advice, jet flying is very exciting (unless you fly a boomerang). Most of the problems I have seen have been the obvious nerves and the the fact that people flying jets are reluctant to slow them down and fly them in to land, it took me a while to get the hang of it. Oh and if someone comes along telling you the most impressive model they have seen flying is a boomerang Elan and that they don't rate a Flash then run a mile!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After reading the posts on this you will no doubt have realised that Jet flyers are very passionate and single minded about their chosen model............... jet flying is very exciting (unless you fly a boomerang).

seams to me after reading quiet a few of your posts, you're very single minded about the boomerang. there are many people who have perfected heavy metal jets and still get excitement flying a boomerang and while they don't do much for me, i'd be willing to say that boomerang airframes have given more jet pilots excitement in the turbine side of the hobby then any other airframe out there.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KC36330

After reading the posts on this you will no doubt have realised that Jet flyers are very passionate and single minded about their chosen model............... jet flying is very exciting (unless you fly a boomerang).

seams to me after reading quiet a few of your posts, you're very single minded about the boomerang. there are many people who have perfected heavy metal jets and still get excitement flying a boomerang and while they don't do much for me, i'd be willing to say that boomerang airframes have given more jet pilots excitement in the turbine side of the hobby then any other airframe out there.
    Very true about the Boomerang

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123