Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Do you or Dont You

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
56.65%
No
43.35%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Do you or Dont You

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you or Dont You

Regarding the ECU Battery on a Turbine powered model and asuming this is a Lipo (Probably a 2 cell Lipo)

Do you remove this from the plane to charge it

Old 12-31-2011, 08:54 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Do you or Dont You

I use Duralite Li-Mn batteries for the ECU. These can be safely charged in the plane (which is why I use them). I would definitely remove a LiPo from the plane (and the house) to charge it.

Jim
Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63

I use Duralite Li-Mn batteries for the ECU. These can be safely charged in the plane (which is why I use them). I would definitely remove a LiPo from the plane (and the house) to charge it.

Jim
Worrying far too much I would say.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:52 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Deno48

Jim
Really? I bet a few people on here that have had thier shop burn to the ground would say otherwise. I would never use a lipo in my jet but if I HAD TOO I would remove it to charge it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Jim
Really? I bet a few people on here that have had thier shop burn to the ground would say otherwise. I would never use a lipo in my jet but if I HAD TOO I would remove it to charge it.
But the world is full of Jets with Lipo's in all all those people foolish I wonder................. I think not. I also wonder how many people have had their shop burn to the ground
Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim
I agree Dave, I guess he don"t understand that a lipo can and will catch on fire, and if it happens in your garage or home and your not around for some reason, all I can say is I hope you have insurance. SO the statement of "worry too much" I hope he uses NIMH.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Duncan

The only ones I have seen 'go up' have been caused by a nugget charging them on the wrong setting. Having said that I charge mine in the model when at the field, but take them out when charging at home. I do this because it's just not worth the risk as I have heard of a couple catching fire when the packs have been bad
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Don't store any Lipo's in a plane all go into a couple of amo boxes I have. Will charge at the field in plane but take them out when in the workshop.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Hobby shops are heaped full of lipos in cupboards and drawers and hanging on hooks. The risk of lipos are greatly over exaggerated in my view. Worry less live more I say
Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Joe C

Jim
I agree Dave, I guess he don"t understand that a lipo can and will catch on fire, and if it happens in your garage or home and your not around for some reason, all I can say is I hope you have insurance. SO the statement of "worry too much" I hope he uses NIMH.
Do you pull out all your electric plugs at night so that all those appliances that can catch fire are disconnected and safe. Then perhaps you should switch off your consumer board incase that built in wireing goes up. Life is full of potential risks
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
ddlstang
My Feedback: (2)

Why did you ask the question if you are going to be sarcastic toward someone that is urging caution.

In my small world I know of 3 Li-po fires from charging, so it is a possibilty. I am sure some are from a sort of human error so unless you are uncapable a making a mistake or have a 100% safe charger I would listen to others.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

To be fair the danger does seem to be in regard to charging, I know of one guys jeep that burnt to the ground because of a lipo, but I have also head of lipo's going on fire when not connected to anything as well, it is up to the individual, but say your jet went on fire I bet from then on you would not leave them in.
Case of shutting the gate when the horse has bolted!
Old 12-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

I think its funny when people do a pole on a subject and when they don't get the answer they want they throw a tantrum.

If you can afford to take the chance of loosng your home and possibly your family then be my guest. It only takes a minute to remove and replace your packs after charging.

A very close friend of mine lost his entire garage and all his Jets from a lipo going up. And another good friend lost half his house and all his model jets from a lipo while he was away. Simple temp change can short them. A hobby store is at a normal kept environment.

Keep them in a ammo can or lipo bag.
Good luck.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I know of 3 friends who have lost all their planes and garage in California. Be Careful  Dan
Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 PM
slightly_floored

An extreme case, I know, but our organisiation has banned LiPo batteries outright, due to the potential for disaster.
Combat warships, batteries that dislike impact damage and water don't combine well.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually charge the lipo's as soon as I get to the field, then unload truck and put the jets together, install the lipos then go fly.

at the end of the day, I always remove the lipos and store them in an Ammo metal box, I picked one up from the Army navy store for about 10 bucks.

I have 2 friends that have lost a garage and a home, due to lipo's gone wrong. not sure to this day why the one started but took over a year to rebuild his home. and the other one was wrong charger and the garage went up in flames.

Mark
Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Did not vote because, like a few guys have mentioned, I remove them to charge & store them at home
but top up after a few flights at the field in the plane.

I think the important thing is not to leave them unattended during charging, whether in the plane or not,
because if things DO go wrong at least you are on the spot to take the appropriate action. - John.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

It just seems logical to take them out when charging. A Lipo catching fire happens a lot more often then our Hobby shops or battery manufacturers want to admit. The Batteries hanging on the hooks in the store are not getting charged or discharged.
People lost not only their models but their houses because they did not worry and 'lived a little'.
So the poster already had his opinion, why does he still ask?
I do not use any Lipos due to their failure rate, but I fly glow and gas engines, so I am fine using NiMh, NiCd or LiFe cells.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Ihave but that was because we were all smoking crack which is why we use lipos in our aircraft!

Jim
But the world is full of Jets with Lipo's in all all those people foolish I wonder................. I think not. I also wonder how many people have had their shop burn to the ground
Old 12-31-2011, 05:19 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: Flynstuff

I think its funny when people do a pole on a subject and when they don't get the answer they want they throw a tantrum.
The tantrum you refer to was simply light hearted humor. Hardly a tantrum and the results of the poll so far I would describe as interesting

Bod
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Propane Titan SE with LiIon Fromeco on the ecu...
Old 12-31-2011, 05:42 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: ddlstang

Why did you ask the question if you are going to be sarcastic toward someone that is urging caution.

\\

because he want to be a cyber-bully behind his KB
Old 12-31-2011, 05:47 PM
KC36330

GUILTY!!!!

Although i know it's not a good idea, i charge all lithium batteries (LiPo/LiMg/LiFe/LiIon) in the plane with the exception of my one and only electric (Parkzone T28). with that said, the vast majority of my charging is with a Duralite charger and Duralite batteries, i do feel they are a good bit safer then some of the others.

i also have over 100 gallon of Jet-A stored in my garage where i do all the charging at, it also happens to be where the clothes dryer is and i quiet often toss a load in the dryer as i'm packing up for a day of flying, turn it on, drive off and leave it. i'm fully aware i may come home to a smoking hole one day though..........
Old 12-31-2011, 06:56 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

From someone whom almost burned down his house charging Lipo using correct charger and settings.... Thank goodness I had a smoke detector in the garage!! DONT DO IT! Just Sayin'
Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

From someone whom almost burned down his house charging Lipo using correct charger and settings.... Thank goodness I had a smoke detector in the garage!! DONT DO IT! Just Sayin'
+1 +2 +3....

ALWAYS take those out when charging them!!!! I use LiPo's for ECU and for Rx (when I use a PowerBox Royal) and bundle the two for the Rx, make them accessible to pull to charge away from the airframe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.