Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-15 kit ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F-15 kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avonds F-15 kit ?

I have built an Avonds F-15 from a kit. The pipe that came with the kit is a single wall pipe in the back double wall in front. Have you guys been using this pipe? I have the ceramic blanket on the pipe and the fuselage as per plans. When I run it gets warm in the back after a few min of full throttle. I have a P-80SE in it. Thanks George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46615.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1708446  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Avonds F-15 kit ?

if you can place your hand on the fuselage and keep it there, it's ok, if you can't keep your hand there it's too hot.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 AM
FILE IFR

George, it will not run that hot once the airframe is travelling through the air. A friend of mine had the same brand F-15 with a 28# engine.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM
agent adds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

over 150 flights on my old beast no problems
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44459.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1708493  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 AM
siddus74

Nice looking bird, your going to love it ... I have one and would not trade it for all the tea in china, a real pleasure to fly ... mine has an old AMT in it (19.5lbs) and ive never had a problem with either jet or airframe ...

Scott.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

i have a secondhand avonds f-15 it had the avonds pipe in it after a lot of flts the pipe split at the Y
then put a tams pipe in it after using a ram 1000 in it. but would use avonds pipe if a had a second one
Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Minch

I have an Avonds F-15 kit (with a Jetcat P120 approx 27lbs thrust) done as per avonds instructions, not had any issues with the rear fuzz getting too hot but then I don't keep turbine at full chat on the ground for several minutes, only time I run full power on the ground is just after starting, I usually give it a 5 second burst to make sure all is ok, not noticed any heat issues doing this. Only thing I have done which wasn't in avonds instructions is to paint BVM heatshield paint in the area surrounding the pipe.

As previously posted the fuzz has no air running through it which it needs to keep it cool it.

Regards
Nick
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 AM
frankie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello George,

Extended runnung at full power on the ground will most certainly build up heat as you describe-the ceramic blanket will do its job. As some of the others have mentioned this is the worse scenario as in flight the airflow will provide cooling airflow, etc.

From your pipes description it sounds as though you have built the traditional kit, that is glass fus. with balsa sheeted foam cores? Avonds newer full composite kit has a different pipe which in my experience is more efficient (less thrust loss) and is noticably lighter than his original design. This newer pipe is run without a bypass and features a bellmoth, so therefore is generic and can be used for all turbines. My experience is that all these types of pipes will run hot at the join in the area that is subjetced to exhaust efflux-however as full power is used sparingly, and combined with the fact that there is actually a generous gap between the pipe and the fus. skin on the Avonds F-15, you should not be concerned about any heat related issues. The fact that you are running a fairly modest power level may convince you to remove the existing bypass if installed and opt for the newer lighter pipe to save weight and improve your power to weight ratio.

Additionally if you choose to run a very high power unit I would carefully monitor the pipe at the joins and possibly even reinforce the pipe at the join as I have done on my Avonds F-15.

I hopr these comments have been of some help.

Best Regards, Frank
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
aquaskiman

Thanks for all the replies. I should have it done in a week or two.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: aquaskiman

Thanks for all the replies. I should have it done in a week or two.
Quit screwing around on RCU George and "Git 'r Done"!!!

I can't wait to maiden her for you!!!

Shaz
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
aquaskiman

Shaz………..I would let you do the maiden for me but……………I want more than one flight out of it.