Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The ARF Paradox !!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The ARF Paradox !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The ARF Paradox !!

I QUIT!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:03 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Building is EASY.... Finish & Detailing is HARD...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM
stevekott

Look at an ARF just like buying and flying a used airplane off RCU. Somebody did a lot of hard work getting it to where it is all painted and pretty but there is always some work to do. Fuel Clunks get stuck, there are bad glue joints, loose connections, sketchy servos, CG's out of whack, pipes ready to break loose ...

Take it for what it is. We are essentially flying one-off prototypes. There are lots of possibilities for problems. It's our job to go through all the systems as best we can so we dont crash due to mechanical issues.

Even after we've got a good flyer there are still maintenance issues, things work loose, slop develops parts crack ..

But's it's all part of the excitement of the hobby, man against machine and the forces of gravity. That's why we all get an adrenaline rush with a hot maneuver and a great internal Ahhh! with a greased landing.

If this was an easy for sure kind of hobby all of us type "A" guys would get bored and move onto something more challenging.

Most of all "There's no crying in Model Jets"

Flame on! Happy Flying!

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jack Diaz

I feel that I should clarify a couple of issues:

-I have nothing against ARF’s. In fact, I think they are a great addition to our hobby. I have several.
-I never meant to differentiate between good and bad modelers based upon whether or not they are willing to build a kit.

My point is:
Although contradictory at first, building a ''safe'' ARF requires more skill and knowledge than building a good kit with good instructions.
An ARF built by a non experienced modeler could result in a dangerous flying object.

Jack

Oh How right you are Jack. I am chairman of a jet club here in the Uk and our policy is to scrutinise every model before being allowed to fly at our site. Some of the things we have seen have been truly shocking that any one would model to such a low standard.
Examples are tanks held in with selotape, wiring that could short out as it was uninsulated, a flap horn that had been extended with 1/16 " ply and held on with a single bolt, and a 12" plus unsuppurted elevator linkage made from coat hanger wire!
Unbelievable! sadly some of these people are "experienced" modellers.
Some individiuals have taken umbridge at being grounded temporarily and left our club. That is fine by us. Others receive "special attention" from the safety officers.
John
Old 04-25-2013, 04:25 AM
pilot43
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

Building is EASY.... Finish & Detailing is HARD...
+100500!!!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Jack Holland
My Feedback: (1)

Oh my god..here we go. Let's not forget about an un-proven/tested design that hits the streets to show it's weaknesses. A big deal is just because the larger turbine will fit in the space as the smaller recommended one, doesn't mean the airframe can handle it. An on and on!!

Jack